Tank themes discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sublimer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I'm still a rookie around these parts but I wanted to start a thread concerning aquarium themes, where we can collectively share creative ideas and suggestions, as well as what we already have set up.

ForumRunner_20130311_162037.jpg
This is my 20 gallon tank. Nothing really in there at this point because I've been struggling to find a consistent theme I want to go with. Any ideas?

Feel free to post your themes for inspiration!

Oh, my husband and I are in the some predicament! We started our 46 gallon tank with a Roman coliseum and tall rock, exchanged that for a tall coral reef and just have that with some plants for now. We are looking to do an Atlantis theme although I think a Chinese theme would be cool. We have seen some Dragons and Pagodas that are interesting.

We have also seen cool aquarium settings with just cichlid stones and rocks with plants which seems more modern!

I think you'll find most folks who have stuck with the hobby for any considerable length of time eschew themed tanks for natural looking settings... unless you include a specific biotope as a them.

Do you know what flora/fauna you want to keep? I am sure some members here can post up some example tanks that might fit your eye... though like I said most folks shun the treasure chest and skull ornaments after their aquarium habit... er... hobby... evolves.

I've seen my fair share of natural settings lol it looks really nice but I don't want to go that route because it would seem too easy. Unfortunately I'm already limited by the rock I've placed in there as to what I can and cannot do but I was thinking perhaps something like a boomtown from the gold rush era would be cool.

LOL. I know a lot of folks who would consider "Natural" and "Easy" as oxymorons. :)

Not my cup of tea, the ornaments and such, but to each his own. All that really matters is what you like.

I'll leave you with a few aquascapes that look very natural. I'll be their owners would challenge they are easy :)

freshwater.jpg

contest011.jpg

0009.jpg

I've reached an interesting compromise of theme vs natural. I painted my two main tanks with sort of fanciful backgrounds but the actual tank decor is pretty natural. Plants, rocks, and driftwood. My 30 gallon has a Celtic background with a sort of stone finish and Celtic knot work and my 56 gallon is deep greens with vines all over it, with Cthulhu sitting in a corner and "in his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming" in lovecraftian runes across the back. I just liked the idea of painting a mini mural on something. I have a completely natural 5 gallon and a bare-bottomed 10 gallon filled with cheap plastic plants, too. The plastic plants are just stuff for the snails that live in that tank to climb on, though. And it's about to get a redo for a betta. To each their own!

LOL. I know a lot of folks who would consider "Natural" and "Easy" as oxymorons. :)

Not my cup of tea, the ornaments and such, but to each his own. All that really matters is what you like.

I'll leave you with a few aquascapes that look very natural. I'll be their owners would challenge they are easy :)

Wow. Some nice tanks there. Would be so hard to maintain it to the standard of those pictures

Ha perhaps I wrongly worded what I was trying to say but you made a good point. I have absolutely no doubts that the natural look can be high maintenance in many instances but I was thinking more in the terms of the common piled rocks, driftwood, and small plants aquarium we're used to seeing.
I want to deviate from that look to portray something a little more original, and yet still comfortable for the respective inhabitants.

I have seen lego themed tanks, which are different :). You have to figure out how to get the legos to sink, which isn't to difficult.

You just want to make sure that anything you put in the tank will be ok long term, submerged.

Come on fort, show 'em your planted tanks... Those can't be easy to maintain either LOL

well, since you asked... here are a few of the setups I have ran through the last few years. None of them are close to approaching the difficulty of the setups I posted above. I would say all of these are achievable to the average hobbyist with some effort and knowledge.

img_2380450_0_16e27db91be0a9ef604a7b10a329b988.jpg

19738-albums313-picture3345.jpg

19738-albums1199-picture11376.jpg

19738-albums378-picture11398.jpg

19738-albums378-picture7859.jpg

Outstanding work. I've always been in awe of what aquascaping can produce but I've simply never had the green thumb enough to try it

Those are amazing.. Mine are nowhere near as great as yours, but I am working with a 14 year old budget, and these are my first tanks. So, I am pretty happy with them :) I had to use the laptop cam, so please don't mind the horrible picture quality. My camera cord decided to vanish, so, yeah..

Here are my tanks..
30ht0ci.jpg

5ybnq.jpg

This is my 5.5G. It was going to be a betta tank, but my platy decided to be a female, so I am preparing it for babies.

mhf339.jpg

This is my 25G community. Looks better in person, but again, using the laptop camera!

fort... I loooove the tank in the second picture.. What kind of plants and equipment did you use for that?

Omg that mario tank lol!! Fort youre tanks, especially the first 3 are stunning. Uve got a talent for aquascaping.

That tank in the third pic is a 29 gallon with co2 injection and 4 t5ho bulbs. Too many plant species to name :). That was my collectoritis phase.

I will have to try something like your tank in the second picture but on a smaller scale. I love it!

fort, do you have any ideas that would make my 25 look a little better? The picture is horrid, sorry about that.

Here are a couple of the lego themed tanks I mentioned.

I just showed my son the Lego one its pretty cool! He is Lego obsessed at the moment. But Lego is expensive I don't think I'm willing to buy a set to just go in his tank. But it is wicked.

Back
Top Bottom