Tanked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I watch Tanked for pure entertainment. I think that they build some interesting tanks and that the cast of characters is more interesting than Fish Tank Kings. I watch FTK, but I don't find it nearly as interesting. If I was going to have someone build a tank for me, it would be the Tanked crew. If I had to trust someone to add fish, it would be FTK. I think both are good in that they are exposing more people to this hobby. It sure would be nice if they added a little more good advice.

I knew that phone booth aquarium wouldn't last. The bullnose aquarium they show in the opening is more my style. They do both build nice tanks. But that is only part of it. I can build acrylic tanks myself, so all I envy is their big oven for bending sheets. They send the wrong message, that these critters are for decoration only. Somebody mentioned the fact that most of these people never get their hands wet. I guess that is good business for a maintenance company...but I am not impressed. We, on is forum, have great pride in what we can accomplish. Much of that success cannot be bought, in my view. It would be nice if you required some skills before having a big display tank that just kills fish. I just wish they spent more time in how to keep the fish alive. They would be lost trying to do a long term reef tank.

And to clarify my shark comment, not trying to step on toes. IMO, sharks are for public aquariums that can build round tanks on the order of thousands of gallons. Keeping a shark in what I see on these shows is like keeping a giraffe in your garage. He might fit, but the long term prognosis is not good.

I also enjoy the program and want to visit them next time in Vegas.

Last edited:
There's a lot of course that we don't see. A friend of mine did one of those 48 hr car build shows. He was over in Cali for 3 months

I am sure that is true. It is the message they send. It would be nice if they covered the frag community and those of us that are trying to not remove scarce adult fish off the reef.

With this show you also have to remember its for an audience and both tanked and FTK are directed towards different groups. I think that that is easy to tell.

Tanked is just to get people interested in the hobby and to see what it can offer. While trying to be funny and only providing small facts.

FTK is for a people already in the hobby or I guess a "more mature" audience also. A little more dry but informative. I think the way this show was done was to purposely go from all the criticism tanked gets.

Mr. D said:
With this show you also have to remember its for an audience and both tanked and FTK are directed towards different groups. I think that that is easy to tell.

Tanked is just to get people interested in the hobby and to see what it can offer. While trying to be funny and only providing small facts.

FTK is for a people already in the hobby or I guess a "more mature" audience also. A little more dry but informative. I think the way this show was done was to purposely go from all the criticism tanked gets.

I think the only one to do a reef episode was FTK and they grumbled about it constantly. Only advance aquarists was the message...really? My son broke into the hobby with a nano tank. He grew up around fish tanks but only became knowledgable after moving out and starting his own. Great learning experience.

I can understand fish only, even though I think the artificial coral is a bit much. And how do you keep it clean? A fish tank is a dirty environment, more nooks and crannies to clean. Reefs have their fair share of issues, but in the end they are a much better place to keep certain kind of fish. I have some 15 and 18 year old fish. I bet that beats fish in any of these tv tanks. It is entertaining to watch...and I guess I am jealous of a customer that orders a 500 gallon tank and $30K of animals like they were buying a new tv.

Gregcoyote said:
I think the only one to do a reef episode was FTK and they grumbled about it constantly. Only advance aquarists was the message...really? My son broke into the hobby with a nano tank. He grew up around fish tanks but only became knowledgable after moving out and starting his own. Great learning experience.

I can understand fish only, even though I think the artificial coral is a bit much. And how do you keep it clean? A fish tank is a dirty environment, more nooks and crannies to clean. Reefs have their fair share of issues, but in the end they are a much better place to keep certain kind of fish. I have some 15 and 18 year old fish. I bet that beats fish in any of these tv tanks. It is entertaining to watch...and I guess I am jealous of a customer that orders a 500 gallon tank and $30K of animals like they were buying a new tv.

Tanked did a full reef episode it was the feng shui tank, it was probably my fav episode, it was an awesome tank.

Gregcoyote said:
My mistake....I do remember that one....but there were no details on its setup we're there?

Not really, they just mentioned that it was running a sump and refugium, but no explanation to the viewers about what that stuff was or how it worked really.

Bige said:
No one wants to see our side. It's not interesting to 98% of the people watching. Just enjoy it for what it is.

I totally agree, nobody actually knows the behind the scenes that they don't show. I would like to see more of what goes into the building of the tanks though.

Uncle Dirty said:
I totally agree, nobody actually knows the behind the scenes that they don't show. I would like to see more of what goes into the building of the tanks though.

That's a good idea for an episode. Honestly, having one episode dedicated to all of these concerns: filtration, acclimation, filters, maintenance, etc.. should be a no brainer.

Tanked is entertaining and that's pretty much it imo. Very little information... I wish I could create a fish show. Be much better to do it cribs style and just go around the country checking out some of the best tanks around and allow the real hobbyists to explain their systems cause you all know you could talk peoples ears off when showing your tank (atleast I know I can)...:)

Gregcoyote said:
There are several podcasts where people do just as you suggested. They tour tanks of advanced hobbiests.

Ya I've watched a few of them but its not the same when you can add the production value that Hollywood can provide

I agree, but those types of productions are aimed at the mass's and they rarely can spend time on details.
A version of "This Old House" could be "This Old Reef"

Gregcoyote said:
I agree, but those types of productions are aimed at the mass's and they rarely can spend time on details.
A version of "This Old House" could be "This Old Reef"

Now there is an idea! Come renovate someone's existing reef. Id be the first to add my name to the box :) .... Honestly this hobby seems to be growing very quickly especially considering the price of it during these tough times so maybe with enough emails and wishful thinking discovery or animal planet would read one and consider it haha...until then though ill have to settle with tanked and ftk I guess lol

Uncle Dirty said:

When you make the trip out here to Vegas, and go into Acrylicaquariums (tanked) shop. You can watch threw the giant plexiglas wall while they make the tanks. They have about 20 volunteers at any given time, and everyone on the show is out on the floor too. It's not like pawnstars where you never see the guys.

Redneck is normaly grilling in the Parking Lot... Lol

Back
Top Bottom