Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #201
Lt.
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Lt.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wasilla AK
Posts: 808
I think a tank in an old tube t.v. is a cool idea (I guess i haven't seen that episode) if its done the right way. As in guting it, reinforcing it, then carefully pricing a tank into it in some careful way. Honestly I might pay to get one.
__________________

__________________
Whenever I watch the News, no matter what network it is, i'm like:
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #202
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Pizza101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.
I think a tank in an old tube t.v. is a cool idea (I guess i haven't seen that episode) if its done the right way. As in guting it, reinforcing it, then carefully pricing a tank into it in some careful way. Honestly I might pay to get one.
Ya. The tank did look pretty cool but the fish they added certainly was for show!
__________________

__________________
Pizza101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #203
Lt.
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Lt.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wasilla AK
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza101

Ya. The tank did look pretty cool but the fish they added certainly was for show!
I know huh. I'd be surprised if the most of the fish they put in the tanks during filming stayed in for more than a month after filming.
__________________
Whenever I watch the News, no matter what network it is, i'm like:
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #204
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
Was at the LFS Saturday dropping off coral when a young lady, college student, came in to buy a saltwater setup she intended on installing in an old tv. I bit my tongue and scurried out before I told her what a stupid idea that was. I am already type cast as the old nutty professor.
Mumma.of.two is doing that now and her tank looks really nice. I think she put a 17g in the tv
__________________
Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #205
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Lexilove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 290
I have only watched one episode and the reason is cause when I did it made me so mad I couldnt watch it again. They put a 3' snake in a 1' tank. When they added fish they literally just threw them in and every tank they do is extremely overstocked and it drove me crazy!
__________________
Lexilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #206
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,322
I guess I am kind of a purist. I am into the stuff in the tank and less interested in window dressing like it being in an old tv. Practical side of me says how do you clean it, hang lights in it, build a filter, etc? I don't consider it a work of art. To me reefs are kind of a gardening project. But each to their own, as long as you aren't building a fish and coral killing machine.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #207
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Musicfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Holt, MI
Posts: 143
I like Tanked, its what got me to want fish tank again. After finding out some more info on fish though I did start to wonder how they put so many fish in those tanks. I will admit they make great looking tanks and if I could have one I would. I would just stock it myself, or let some other professionals help. I can see how the people who pay for those tanks never have to touch them though. Hell if I had enough money for a 30,000 dollar tank I'm sure I would not want to be the one cleaning it.

I do enjoy cleaning my tank I guess it's a sense of pride thing knowing I'm helping a small ecosystem....

I have never seen the other fish show. It's on National Geographic? I'll have to check it out I get the channel but have never seen that show one, hopefully I can find it on demand and watch it that way.
__________________
Musicfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #208
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,322
Fish Tank Kings is on National Geographic. Based in Florida, they are pretty much like Tanked. Except they have a biologist (Francis) on board that they seem to not like listening to. Management hates doing reefs and have only reluctantly done one on the show, but it was very nice and thought out well. Their attitude is that less than 10% of the customers are capable of keeping a reef, so they insist on maintenance contracts. Good move on their parts IMO. They sell a lot of artificial coral, that looks like plastic flowers to me.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #209
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Uncle Dirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicfreak
I like Tanked, its what got me to want fish tank again. After finding out some more info on fish though I did start to wonder how they put so many fish in those tanks. I will admit they make great looking tanks and if I could have one I would. I would just stock it myself, or let some other professionals help. I can see how the people who pay for those tanks never have to touch them though. Hell if I had enough money for a 30,000 dollar tank I'm sure I would not want to be the one cleaning it.

I do enjoy cleaning my tank I guess it's a sense of pride thing knowing I'm helping a small ecosystem....

I have never seen the other fish show. It's on National Geographic? I'll have to check it out I get the channel but have never seen that show one, hopefully I can find it on demand and watch it that way.
I think it's on a secondary channel called nat geo wild, something like that.
__________________
"Gold is where you find it"
Uncle Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #210
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Musicfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Holt, MI
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dirty View Post
I think it's on a secondary channel called nat geo wild, something like that.
Oh ok, I think you are right. Well hopefully next time it's on I can watch it. I think I've seen it on there before but at the time I did not get the channel.
__________________

__________________
Musicfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.