Tanked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsmith

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it me or do these guys have it all wrong? Yes i do agree they make great loooking tanks but how can they add all those fish in a short period if time in no live rock... i havnt cared to watch many episodes but the ones i have seem like the tank wouldn't last longer then a few months.

They actually dont last much longer then a few weeks. A worker at my lfs said he got to clean up thousands of dead fish a week after it was set up...

Glad somebody else noticed this. The National Geographic one is better...at least they have a biologist (Francis) that they pretend to listen to.
I don't think it makes our hobby look very good. 99% of these setups won't last a year alive. And I wince every time somebody gets a shark tank built.

The other show based in Miami is better. They depend on artificial coral inserts most the time, but they did a reef tank and it was well thought out.
Look at the behind the scenes shops they work out of. Tanked is full of acrylic, some parrots (?) and that's about all you see. The Miami based show you see this Francis guy and thousands of gallons of holding and conditioning tanks. It looks like they precondition the fish then transport their water and the fish to the scene when doing a local install. They complain when asked to do a reef and insist on a maintenance contract, which I guess is kind of smart. Most of these customers seem to be using fish as art.

Last edited:
The only thing I like about that show is when they go and buy the fish.

The guys seem to be amazing at doing what the title of the show says: building tanks. If I was their customer, I'd happily take their beautifully built aquarium and handle EVERYTHING else on my own. they should stick to acrylic and leave the livestock to their customers.

CorallineAlgae said:
The guys seem to be amazing at doing what the title of the show says: building tanks. If I was their customer, I'd happily take their beautifully built aquarium and handle EVERYTHING else on my own. they should stick to acrylic and leave the livestock to their customers.

I agree. Both shows build nice tanks, but after that...

They do put a bad idea into a lot of people's head and kinda reaffirm what people that don't know already believe which is you can just put a bunch of really pretty fish in some water tight contraption yes a couple might die at first but everything will be fine in a couple days, which is certainly not the case with saltwater. I also hate when tanked, nysteelo (YouTube guy) , and some forum posters say I can do this the wrong way because I'm smarter than you and have been doing this for a while, but you should do it the right way. If that was the case wouldn't just their way become the right way?
And tanked is selling chemicals , foods and supplements, which makes what they are doing even worse, I believe they deliberately do not mention their supplements on the show because then they would be liable when people use their stuff and everything dies because they thought they could acclimate and cycle like they do on the show. I could rant about tanked all day, although I do enjoy parts of the show, but most of it is annoying, I dvr it so I fast forward a lot. The fung suei ? tank was a good one though. I bought a purple firefish because I saw it on that episode, but unlike them I acclimated my fish before dumping it in the tank.

They acclimate and use cycled bio media in the sumps but if the fish last a few weeks something tells me people buy more then they can handle.

I don't know if the fish dying after a month or so is really all their fault. Seems so long for fish to live with no bacteria in there

I live here in Vegas and visit a lot of their tanks, they use a chemical product and have pre acclimated bio media they pre cycle and use in their tanks. I have been to their shop many times and can say they have a decent success rate given the circumstances. People expect a tank to pop up in a few weeks, and they will pay allot to have it happen. You can purchase there chemical product in the petco here as well.

Do I agree with there methods? No, not at all.
Do I like there tanks, yes, of course.

They made a business out of a 30% death rate.

Attachments

• image-3377439291.jpg
    image-3377439291.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 301
No one wants to see our side. It's not interesting to 98% of the people watching. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Readingexcalibur said:
I live here in Vegas and visit a lot of their tanks, they use a chemical product and have pre acclimated bio media they pre cycle and use in their tanks. I have been to their shop many times and can say they have a decent success rate given the circumstances. People expect a tank to pop up in a few weeks, and they will pay allot to have it happen. You can purchase there chemical product in the petco here as well.

"You can purchase their chemical product in the petco here as well."

Are you talking about the bacteria in a bottle. If so I haven't tryed that stuff myself. I haven't tryed any bacteria in a bottle ever but there has been a couple people here that has and says the stuff doesn't work. Just saying

I watch the show and enjoy it, but I don't agree like you said.

Think about how hard it would be to maintain your tank if you didn't lift a finger to put it together. Especially a large full reef setup.

I suppose though that people that pay "tanked" money have their tanks professionally maintained though.

Saratj1 said:
Think about how hard it would be to maintain your tank if you didn't lift a finger to put it together. Especially a large full reef setup.

I suppose though that people that pay "tanked" money have their tanks professionally maintained though.

Probably, a 500+ gallon tank takes serious money, especially a custom & themed acrylic tank that large. If they didn't have some one come in once a week or do I'd be surprised.

And I have used bottled bacteria in every one of my tanks, it work very well from my experience on both fresh and salt tanks, 24-72hour cycle.

Saratj1 said:

I agree, as a fire chief I've been in a lot of homes and you'd be surprised at the things I see.

Real quick just to share. We had a smoke condition on a 8 million dollar home in the country club area. These people had what looked to be probably a 400 gallon tank. All plumping and hardware etc was in the basement. This tank was beautiful!! All live corals and fish everywhere. Of course while my guys were checking the house I was speaking to the owners. It turns out it's the husbands "toy" I asked how long it takes to maintain it on and what he does to it, I also asked what some of the corals were. He couldn't answer any of my questions.

He said in broken English, I don't know what anything in the tank is I just like to look at it. I no feed no clean no nothing. The guys come once a week and do the clean thing and the feed fish is timed. I was trying to understand how you could have a tank that pretty and not wanna be involved or know what's on it at the least.

He then told me, this tank tells the company of something is wrong. It calls them and guys come, they have keys to house.

I'm just thinking. Your tank calls them? Must be nice... Must be nice...

Or is it? I take pride in taking care of my tanks and watching things thrive because of what I'm doing, not because of what someone else is doing.

Sorry if this went off topic I just it kinda fit? If not I apologize.

I do watch Tanked and enjoy the show. Like another poster said. I watch it for what it's worth. I don't agree with it and I highly doubt those fish thrive.

Coral inserts? Just takes away from everything IMO.

The builds are nice I watch as well as the humor.

The phone booth is at my lfs, it failed miserably. I have also been told that the gumball and jukebox tanks are both no longer there. Also the one that they did the feeding system on had to be ripped out due to the food sticking inside the tubes and stinking up the house. My lfs has personally fixed some of the mistakes that the ATM guys have made. I agree with the previous statement. I would let them build me a tank, but I would put the fish and livestock in myself.

Readingexcalibur said:

They came to my lfs too, but I didn't hear about it until
After :/

When the show first started it was much better when it was more about the tanks and the building of them, instead of the practical jokes and the very poorly placed advertisements throughout the episodes. One comes to mind... When they were doing the 3 tanks for the Petco headquarters, out of no where they decide to go to dairy queen and it shows them ordering the food, then eating and talking about how good it was, yadda yadda yadda... 30 seconds later a commercial for DQ comes up...

The show Fish Tank Kings is MUCH better IMO. They actually stay on track with the tanks, fish, and coral builds instead of playing practical jokes on each other and complaining about one thing or another...

cashmoney6980 said:
When the show first started it was much better when it was more about the tanks and the building of them, instead of the practical jokes and the very poorly placed advertisements throughout the episodes. One comes to mind... When they were doing the 3 tanks for the Petco headquarters, out of no where they decide to go to dairy queen and it shows them ordering the food, then eating and talking about how good it was, yadda yadda yadda... 30 seconds later a commercial for DQ comes up...

The show Fish Tank Kings is MUCH better IMO. They actually stay on track with the tanks, fish, and coral builds instead of playing practical jokes on each other and complaining about one thing or another...

YESSS!! I know exactly what you're talking about. I hate that so much

Back
Top Bottom