Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Well said. One of my best friends is a motorcycle expert and we use to gripe about American Choppers, over the same issues. They have to juice it up to make it entertaining, but not so funny, in some cases it has wrecked the companies. There are a lot of people that don't handle fame well. They start to ignore things that they learned years ago. Those guys have been keeping fish for a long time. My bet is they full well know the price they have paid for international marketing like a major cable show can bring. This week when they built their own tank they introduced their "contracted maintenance man" who handed the girls the fish. lead me to believe they maybe don't even maintain their own tanks.

Under no conditions I can imagine would I have all that fake junk in the tank, especially little wired gadgets. I have a fish cam, so I can't complain too loudly, but the fake coral and especially tennis shoes and fake human organs?

Old 05-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Well said. One of my best friends is a motorcycle expert and we use to gripe about American Choppers, over the same issues. They have to juice it up to make it entertaining, but not so funny, in some cases it has wrecked the companies. There are a lot of people that don't handle fame well. They start to ignore things that they learned years ago. Those guys have been keeping fish for a long time. My bet is they full well know the price they have paid for international marketing like a major cable show can bring. This week when they built their own tank they introduced their "contracted maintenance man" who handed the girls the fish. lead me to believe they maybe don't even maintain their own tanks.

Under no conditions I can imagine would I have all that fake junk in the tank, especially little wired gadgets. I have a fish cam, so I can't complain too loudly, but the fake coral and especially tennis shoes and fake human organs?
And the organs were just mixed in with the fake coral. Can that honestly be appealing to anyone? I honestly think the show could be just as entertaining If they built the tank, and then did everything responsibly (by people who actually are experts on fish) and just showed the tank several months later.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh wow I love that show...I can't believe that they could be so careless and let the fish suffer like that
Old 05-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not one that watches the show faithfully...but
Old 05-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Freak

If these ppl are sooo bad, and do so much harm to our fish, and set such bad examples why continue to watch them??? Every time someone tunes in they're getting they're ratings increased. The best way to get them off of television is to not watch, if they're that bad they won't get repeat business. Sooo I guess I'm just saying the best way to get them of tv is to not patronize them by watching. If you watch and complain you're just simply complaining...if you do not watch them you're not contributing to the shoes high ratings...so if you don't like it DON'T WATCH!
Old 05-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noturaveragereefer View Post
If these ppl are sooo bad, and do so much harm to our fish, and set such bad examples why continue to watch them??? Every time someone tunes in they're getting they're ratings increased. The best way to get them off of television is to not watch, if they're that bad they won't get repeat business. Sooo I guess I'm just saying the best way to get them of tv is to not patronize them by watching. If you watch and complain you're just simply complaining...if you do not watch them you're not contributing to the shoes high ratings...so if you don't like it DON'T WATCH!
If all if the shows viewers were aquarium owners, then that may work. I am confident that the overwhelming majority of the shows viewers are not.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noturaveragereefer View Post
I don't have anything against them, in fact they look like they would be cool to hang out with. I just wish the show went farther into actually keeping the live stock alive.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think you can tell that this season they are starting to talk more about acclimating the fish, and benificial bacteria and that, but the bottom line is the show there to make money and probably 95+% of viewers dont give a hoot about ph, salinity, nitrate levels, they just want to see a bad *** tank with bad *** fish so that is what animal planet gives them.

AWWWWWWWWWWWW WHAT A RUSH!
GBHammbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBHammbone View Post
I think you can tell that this season they are starting to talk more about acclimating the fish, and benificial bacteria and that, but the bottom line is the show there to make money and probably 95+% of viewers dont give a hoot about ph, salinity, nitrate levels, they just want to see a bad *** tank with bad *** fish so that is what animal planet gives them.
Agreed! They will only show the fun exciting stuff. They are not going to bore their audience to death with all the acclimation process, or how they set their tanks up with all the bactira already in the tank. It would be NICE if they just talked about it for a minute.

As for all the artificial coals they put into their tanks, to each their own. They look good but not great. I agree with them using their artificial corals help protect the environment as they don't have to take the coals off the reef systems out in the wild. We do Frag now, but like I said to each their own.

One episode with what they do behind the seasons to get the tanks ready to move and fill and stock would be cool.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here's a hypothetical:

A TV show called "Dog Runs" is created in which they take a bunch of dogs of different ages, sizes, needs and temperaments, and threw them all together in a small, walled area big enough for maybe half of them. Imagine they dropped food in and forced the dogs to compete for it. Imagine they didn't clean the area. But the walls are painted with cool designs. There are neat windows. There are awesome plastic trees and shrubs to make it look more "real."

How long do you think that show would be on the air?

I was playing one of those guess-the-word games with my family once. You know - where you start with "Animal, mineral, vegetable?" I said "animal" in response when the word was "fish." I swear to god we had a full blown argument because half the people in the room didn't consider fish animals. Two of them are elementary school teachers. These are bright people, but this mindset is so ingrained - fish are not really pets, their needs do not need to be considered, they do not require any special care. They are decoration. They are disposable.

And THAT is what's wrong with shows like Tanked. It perpetuates that mindset.

Yeah, yeah, I know it's a dead horse. But it's not really about the show either. You think a pet store would remain in business if they told people they didn't have to clean the cat's litter box? That they don't have to walk their dogs? That animals don't ever need vaccinations or medical care?

But ... they're just fish.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com