Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #121
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
Did anyone actually think to contact ATM to get their side of the story? I've emailed them a couple of times and had very prompt responses to both of my questions. It's pretty easy to sit back critique someone playing the proverbial armchair quarterback, it's something entirely different when your actually playing!
If they are willing to put there name to a show, they should make sure they take the time to educate people on at least the basics of fish keeping. After all, they were the one's who approached the network with the idea of a 'Fish Tank' show. Surely they have some input/control of what makes it into the show. Even a special episode on fish care would go some way to help educate people....

Old 06-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #122
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
If they are willing to put there name to a show, they should make sure they take the time to educate people on at least the basics of fish keeping. After all, they were the one's who approached the network with the idea of a 'Fish Tank' show. Surely they have some input/control of what makes it into the show. Even a special episode on fish care would go some way to help educate people....
First off ... +1 with Hukit.

I also agree that an episode on basics of fish keeping could go a long way with helping viewers understand the behind the scenes of how the tanks and fish are prepped. Unfortunately, if it's on tv, then it's about the ratings so it's anyones guess if such an episode is considered ratings worthy.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #123
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I agree with all the above. I just get a unsettled feeling when hard to find and difficult to keep fish are chosen because they match a sneaker floating in the tank. Or cow fish are killed in mass for a restaurant named after them. I'm sure the ATM guys are very hard working and fun people, I just am responding to reports on this thread about lots of pretty fish dying for what is apparent from the show, an emphasis for a dramatic unveiling as fast as possible, and a disregard of livestock selection over matching a theme.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #124
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure what their side of the story would be. They act like they know a lot about the fish they add to the tanks, but go against just about every rational stocking rule out there. They mix fish that are not compatible. They often create tanks that are not suitable for the fish they add. There are numerous reports of their tanks having absurd death rates shortly after completion.

I think that a special show that explains how to properly cycle a tank and some stocking and tank maintenance guidelines would be great and would probably be well received by viewers.

I don't doubt that they work hard, are nice people or think that they don't care. There's just a disconnect somewhere that I can't imagine could be explained to most people's liking
Old 06-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #125
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
First off ... +1 with Hukit.

I also agree that an episode on basics of fish keeping could go a long way with helping viewers understand the behind the scenes of how the tanks and fish are prepped. Unfortunately, if it's on tv, then it's about the ratings so it's anyones guess if such an episode is considered ratings worthy.
I agree. Unfortunately in this case and with most, if not all TV shows, ratings are the most important issue. With it being on Animal Planet, you would imagine they would have more of an interest in educating than other networks. I'm not bashing the show, I watch it and I enjoy it. Unfortunately it gives the impression that you can pick any fish and just put them in a tank and you have an aquarium. I know it's up to people to educate themselves but would 10-15mins really kill the ratings???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I agree with all the above. I just get a unsettled feeling when hard to find and difficult to keep fish are chosen because they match a sneaker floating in the tank. Or cow fish are killed in mass for a restaurant named after them. I'm sure the ATM guys are very hard working and fun people, I just am responding to reports on this thread about lots of pretty fish dying for what is apparent from the show, an emphasis for a dramatic unveiling as fast as possible, and a disregard of livestock selection over matching a theme.
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
I'm not sure what their side of the story would be. They act like they know a lot about the fish they add to the tanks, but go against just about every rational stocking rule out there. They mix fish that are not compatible. They often create tanks that are not suitable for the fish they add. There are numerous reports of their tanks having absurd death rates shortly after completion.

I think that a special show that explains how to properly cycle a tank and some stocking and tank maintenance guidelines would be great and would probably be well received by viewers.

I don't doubt that they work hard, are nice people or think that they don't care. There's just a disconnect somewhere that I can't imagine could be explained to most people's liking
I agree
Old 06-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #126
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

We probably represent less than 1% of their viewers, otherwise you would see Marineland advertising on the show. But what you see is some occasional product placement.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #127
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
There are numerous reports of their tanks having absurd death rates shortly after completion.
I keep seeing this statement regurgitated throughout this thread, where are these reports coming from? Internet forums, chat rooms, Facebook, someone knew a guy who dated the one guy who said the fish died, or someone who actually knows what they're talking about from first hand knowledge?

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #128
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I guess it's possible the earlier posters that claimed eyes on knowledge were all impostors, but common sense told me that in many cases, if they let the fish they showed on tv stay in that tank, they were going to die a unnaturally short life. It robs those of us that take the hobby seriously and not just a form of decoration. Get plastic fish to go with the plastic coral?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #129
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
I agree. Unfortunately in this case and with most, if not all TV shows, ratings are the most important issue. With it being on Animal Planet, you would imagine they would have more of an interest in educating than other networks.
Although the show is on the Animal Planet, let's keep two things in mind.

1. The show .. like other reality based shows ... is about Entertainment first, then in this case education 2nd. Entertainment brings in the ratings, which brings in the advertisers which ultimately brings in the $$$$$. I'd like to see a behind the scenes episode, I don't think it would bomb in the ratings.

2. ATM is a business. They have customers that have particular needs (some of which are somewhat insane) and they have competitors. If ATM can't deliver, someone else will.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:18 AM   #130
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have been to and visited a tank they built and watched the fish suffer and die.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com