Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
tomasm87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville, AR
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post

I own a somewhat controversial business in that I sell firearms, which as your well aware is either loved or hated by the general public. This is the reason I'm so verbal in this particular subject as I've been subject of many online forums discussing gun rights. I have emailed ATM to get a little background on what really happens to the tanks after the cameras stop rolling, hopefully they will respond to shed a little light in the subject.
Interesting to see someone else on this forum into firearms. I'm thinking about selling firearms also. And when I tell people I'm thinking about doing it I always get this odd look from people. Your right some people like it some don't.
__________________

__________________
"The most valuable thing you can make is a Mistake - You can't learn anything from being Perfect." - Adam Osborne

"When you feel like quitting, think about why you started."-unknown
tomasm87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #152
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post

I own a somewhat controversial business in that I sell firearms, which as your well aware is either loved or hated by the general public. This is the reason I'm so verbal in this particular subject as the nature of my company has been the subject of many online forums discussing gun rights. I have emailed ATM to get a little background on what really happens to the tanks after the cameras stop rolling, hopefully they will respond to shed a little light in the subject.
Hukit my man! You know what it's like with this nuts government stripping away our rights . Best of luck in your business! I'm saving up to get an AR 15 right now .
__________________

__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #153
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 5,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I think what we have been exposed to is the scripted story. It is the reported aftermath that has gotten attention on this forum. And granted, maybe only one or two systems have gone bad out of many. But those systems that went bad were designed based on showing off tennis shoes , not keeping the fish alive. And I believe those few tanks doesn't send a good message to anyone with a conservationist viewpoint.

I also am a small business owner and agree that it is gratifying to see a success story like theirs.
I have to agree with Greg that seeing a small biz success story is a nice thing to see these days.

As stated previously, we don't get to see the real behind the scenes stuff and those tanks are not made in 30 or 60 minutes for sure. There's a lot of stuff we don't get to see. Having been part of designing and building 2,500 gal systems, I know what it takes to get those tanks fish ready. We don't see A LOT!!!

I think we need to better understand that this show is a show, not a teaching forum, educational programming or any such animal. That being said, I believe that if enough people complained to Animal Planet, they woud put some disclaimer on before and during the show. Maybe something like " The following program has been edited for entertainment purposes and there is more involved to creating the aquatic environments displayed on the program than showed." Maybe we can start a campaign?

Theme tanks have been around for a long, long time. Their show is just showing a larger audience of their existance. Whether you agree with them or not, their goal, I'm sure, is not to just "throw a bunch of fish together and hope for the best." Maybe the plan doesn't always work but that does not make them wrong for doing the plan. If you've noticed, whenever they talk about sharks and rays in a tank, they always discuss rounded corners. Do you think they let the over crowded ( in my opinion) tank in the little boy's bedroom (who was going to be recovering from heart surgery) just die off? There is some thought, I'm sure, behind their efforts.

In the time I was out of the business, there seemed to be an explosion of new mentalities in regards to keeping fish. Many areas where fish were collected for me are now no longer sustaining fishlife. You could try to blame the hobby but the truth is that there are many areas around the world, where fish are not collected for the hobby that cannot sustain fish either. We are experiencing changes on a global scale. Everybody is entitled to have their opinion as to why this is happening. What you do about it is the key.
From a consevation standpoint, don't buy wild caught fish or invertebrates. The trickle down effect of this will be eventually less fishlife being taken from the seas. This will also encourage more tank breeding, which was in it's infancy when I was in the biz. Have any of you seen the colors ( or lack of colors) on the first tank raised clownfish? By today's standards, those fish were just ugly. Now we have all kinds of color morphs. It takes some time but it does get done.
From the hobbyist standpoint, do EVERYTHING you can to prolong the lives of what you have in your tanks so you don't need to be constantly replacing your stock. ( Sorry nano tank owners, I just don't agree this is a good way of keeping marine species)
From a business standpoint, EDUCATE your customers. Run classes, hold meetings, form fish clubs in your store to better educate why the fish need the things you are suggesting to the customer. Maybe that will curtail the reckless ways some "hobbyists" set up their tanks.

Bottom line, you can complain all you want about the show but unless you are willing to do something about it, you really are not part of the solution.

That's my opinion
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #154
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post

I have to agree with Greg that seeing a small biz success story is a nice thing to see these days.

As stated previously, we don't get to see the real behind the scenes stuff and those tanks are not made in 30 or 60 minutes for sure. There's a lot of stuff we don't get to see. Having been part of designing and building 2,500 gal systems, I know what it takes to get those tanks fish ready. We don't see A LOT!!!

I think we need to better understand that this show is a show, not a teaching forum, educational programming or any such animal. That being said, I believe that if enough people complained to Animal Planet, they woud put some disclaimer on before and during the show. Maybe something like " The following program has been edited for entertainment purposes and there is more involved to creating the aquatic environments displayed on the program than showed." Maybe we can start a campaign?

Theme tanks have been around for a long, long time. Their show is just showing a larger audience of their existance. Whether you agree with them or not, their goal, I'm sure, is not to just "throw a bunch of fish together and hope for the best." Maybe the plan doesn't always work but that does not make them wrong for doing the plan. If you've noticed, whenever they talk about sharks and rays in a tank, they always discuss rounded corners. Do you think they let the over crowded ( in my opinion) tank in the little boy's bedroom (who was going to be recovering from heart surgery) just die off? There is some thought, I'm sure, behind their efforts.

In the time I was out of the business, there seemed to be an explosion of new mentalities in regards to keeping fish. Many areas where fish were collected for me are now no longer sustaining fishlife. You could try to blame the hobby but the truth is that there are many areas around the world, where fish are not collected for the hobby that cannot sustain fish either. We are experiencing changes on a global scale. Everybody is entitled to have their opinion as to why this is happening. What you do about it is the key.
From a consevation standpoint, don't buy wild caught fish or invertebrates. The trickle down effect of this will be eventually less fishlife being taken from the seas. This will also encourage more tank breeding, which was in it's infancy when I was in the biz. Have any of you seen the colors ( or lack of colors) on the first tank raised clownfish? By today's standards, those fish were just ugly. Now we have all kinds of color morphs. It takes some time but it does get done.
From the hobbyist standpoint, do EVERYTHING you can to prolong the lives of what you have in your tanks so you don't need to be constantly replacing your stock. ( Sorry nano tank owners, I just don't agree this is a good way of keeping marine species)
From a business standpoint, EDUCATE your customers. Run classes, hold meetings, form fish clubs in your store to better educate why the fish need the things you are suggesting to the customer. Maybe that will curtail the reckless ways some "hobbyists" set up their tanks.

Bottom line, you can complain all you want about the show but unless you are willing to do something about it, you really are not part of the solution.

That's my opinion
As a student who studies electronic media video and audio production graphic design and so forth I can attest to the fact the production is a chaotic process and they may or may not do the right thing for the fish. But the steps they would show to make them safe would be dull and boring and not make for good tv.
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #155
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
I like the disclaimer idea, but ATM wouldn't. I'll still watch the show and grouse at them from my easy chair.

As a gun toting liberal (a rare fish indeed) I hope our hobby never gets to be as partisan a political topic as firearms are now.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #156
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
HUKIT's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 42.2411°N/88.3161°W
Posts: 6,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I hope our hobby never gets to be as partisan a political topic as firearms are now.
You and I both, one major headache is enough!
__________________
Those Who Lack The Courage Will Always Find A Philosophy To Justify It.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #157
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 5,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I like the disclaimer idea, but ATM wouldn't. I'll still watch the show and grouse at them from my easy chair.

As a gun toting liberal (a rare fish indeed) I hope our hobby never gets to be as partisan a political topic as firearms are now.

Greg, Does that make you a rare TRIGGER fish?
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #158
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post

Greg, Does that make you a rare TRIGGER fish?
Or maybe a "Colt" coral?
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #159
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 5,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Or maybe a "Colt" coral?
Definitely not a PISTOL shrimp!
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #160
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Zactheninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 693
Or a TARGET mandarin? ...i tried... Lol.


I would let atm make me a tank, but no inserts and im stocking. XD
__________________

__________________
Zactheninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.