Tanked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have not seen anything either. That would be interesting to find out though. I've have had and/or been around a lot of different tanks over the years. Nothing over 300g, but it just seems like common sense would tell you that you can't add all your fish at one time and expect success. There are also basic principles with compatibility that need to be followed if you want a few survivors and these guys go against those on most tanks.

I agree 100 %.
The few times I did watch the program, I sat there and thought,
" WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY DOING!!!!!!" I wouldn't have done a lot of those things and I was working 2,500 gal systems and half that water volume was in the sumps!!! You just can't add that many fish at one time without consequences.
It's time to put some sanity back into the hobby, don't you think? :facepalm:

The other tank they build on this episode is meant to only be up for 24 hours. Airing as I'm typing this

Hate the show. I do feel bad that they had a break in, in which the perpetrators stole several of their birds, and some bearded dragons. On the other hand, it made me upset to see the birds kept in the warehouse where chemicals, glues are being used, sanding, etc is going on. Most of the tanks are made with unnatural stupid decor, and they are way overstocked and stocked too soon as mentioned. The episode where they nearly dropped a young shark, and used a small net to handle him, made me want to reach through the tv and smack him upside the head. I cannot watch it anymore.

I am also old school and find the show entertaining, but sending a horrible message. Fish tanks are not like potted plants and other items of interior design. They house sometimes hard to find creatures that have been ripped from the sea and placed in the tank. If I were an environmentalist, I would use this show to justify shutting down live capture.

I was in cable tv broadcasting. What we need is a real show that goes around and interviews successful aquarists. We need a good entertaining on camera person and some sponsors.

What we need is a real show that goes around and interviews successful aquarists. We need a good entertaining on camera person and some sponsors.

A show like 'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives' on the food network! Love that show lol

Exactly. I think it would be a good show. Tanked is like American Choppers was, not a very good example of a real motorcycle business. Theme bikes and theme tanks. One you can't ride, the other is delivered with "dead man walking" fish.

Exactly. I think it would be a good show. Tanked is like American Choppers was, not a very good example of a real motorcycle business. Theme bikes and theme tanks. One you can't ride, the other is delivered with "dead man walking" fish.

I guess until someone like 'mr saltwater tank tv' or something similar gets on tv, we won't have anything to watch.. I started watching 'Tanked' about a month after I started my 55g, and I k we right away just from scouring forums for info that they were doing completely absurd things. Maybe one day we will have a fun and informative show to watch regarding reef aquariums

I have watched American choppers and seen no problem with it, why? Because I don't care about motorcycles. Much as America views "tanked", knows nothing about fish tanks, just likes the pretty fish. If it were for us, it would be like the show "this old house" and most of us know the show :age: it is about the basics, the raw structure...the foundation. We need a show about the foundation of the hobby. Unfortunately everyone lives in a house and it appeals to the masses. The % of people with SW fish tanks is a lot lower....money wins people, money always wins.(fish lose). Sorry for everyone, and mostly sorry for the fish.

I think a show that highlights the intense hobbiest with a SPS packed 7 gallon nano, to the guy with a 1000 gallon reef in his front room would be a better show. There are some on this very forum that have remarkable systems in their homes. Include fresh water of course. No theme tanks.

I think a show that highlights the intense hobbiest with a SPS packed 7 gallon nano, to the guy with a 1000 gallon reef in his front room would be a better show. There are some on this very forum that have remarkable systems in their homes. Include fresh water of course. No theme tanks.

I really wish the show did more freshwater. I also really hope that the instances where a lot of fish die are very few. I bet they get a lot of pressure from those high end customers to have everything right now, rather than waiting on cycling.

Was browsing channels last night and the doughnut show was on. I lingered long enough to watch them put in the fish. My heart just sinks....they put a gorgeous tile fish in that tank, and fairy wrasses...in a brand new tank. There was no place for the fish to even get away from each other. They just huddled together in a group. I cannot stand what they do.

I think thet shoul say how much each tanks costs.I'd bet some of the salt waters tanks don't cost nearly as much as the fish they over fill them with.with what someone on here said of a 60% death rates I'm surprized word hasn't gotten around and people stop paying themfor fish and stock their own after cycling.the best tank they made I likes was the head board tank that you could see up from the bottom while lying down.Must be a ***** to keep clean though.

I always wonder how they access the tanks to do water changes, etc. I'm sure someone is hired to maintain the tanks. I have a 20 gal and complain about water changes at times!!! So I can't imagine the work needed for a huge tank such as the church's.

Its definitely people just wanting a "decoration" (most of them are for business owners) & it comes down to a potential money maker. I havent seen one tank buyer ever ask any questions(could just be the editing) on care of the tank or fish. Even if they are using a company to clean and maintain you still have to have some knowledge...

We aren't the only ones upset with them. All the boards are chattering for their heads. They do promote the hobby, but send a bad message that these creatures are just for ornaments and that their care is simple and automatic.

I was just thinking about the Mac n cheese commercial, I think for velveeta? Where it's going through a guys fish shop.. There's a cow fish in the bag and someone wants to buy it, owner shakes his head no while commentator says, 'no, your not ready for that fish'...

Pretty sad that a Mac n cheese commercial got this one right and tanked didnt

Back
Top Bottom