Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
I have not seen anything either. That would be interesting to find out though. I've have had and/or been around a lot of different tanks over the years. Nothing over 300g, but it just seems like common sense would tell you that you can't add all your fish at one time and expect success. There are also basic principles with compatibility that need to be followed if you want a few survivors and these guys go against those on most tanks.
I agree 100 %.
The few times I did watch the program, I sat there and thought,
" WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY DOING!!!!!!" I wouldn't have done a lot of those things and I was working 2,500 gal systems and half that water volume was in the sumps!!! You just can't add that many fish at one time without consequences.
It's time to put some sanity back into the hobby, don't you think?

Old 05-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

The other tank they build on this episode is meant to only be up for 24 hours. Airing as I'm typing this

Old 05-12-2013, 04:04 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hate the show. I do feel bad that they had a break in, in which the perpetrators stole several of their birds, and some bearded dragons. On the other hand, it made me upset to see the birds kept in the warehouse where chemicals, glues are being used, sanding, etc is going on. Most of the tanks are made with unnatural stupid decor, and they are way overstocked and stocked too soon as mentioned. The episode where they nearly dropped a young shark, and used a small net to handle him, made me want to reach through the tv and smack him upside the head. I cannot watch it anymore.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I am also old school and find the show entertaining, but sending a horrible message. Fish tanks are not like potted plants and other items of interior design. They house sometimes hard to find creatures that have been ripped from the sea and placed in the tank. If I were an environmentalist, I would use this show to justify shutting down live capture.

I was in cable tv broadcasting. What we need is a real show that goes around and interviews successful aquarists. We need a good entertaining on camera person and some sponsors.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
What we need is a real show that goes around and interviews successful aquarists. We need a good entertaining on camera person and some sponsors.
A show like 'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives' on the food network! Love that show lol
Old 05-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Exactly. I think it would be a good show. Tanked is like American Choppers was, not a very good example of a real motorcycle business. Theme bikes and theme tanks. One you can't ride, the other is delivered with "dead man walking" fish.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Exactly. I think it would be a good show. Tanked is like American Choppers was, not a very good example of a real motorcycle business. Theme bikes and theme tanks. One you can't ride, the other is delivered with "dead man walking" fish.
I guess until someone like 'mr saltwater tank tv' or something similar gets on tv, we won't have anything to watch.. I started watching 'Tanked' about a month after I started my 55g, and I k we right away just from scouring forums for info that they were doing completely absurd things. Maybe one day we will have a fun and informative show to watch regarding reef aquariums
Old 05-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Old 05-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have watched American choppers and seen no problem with it, why? Because I don't care about motorcycles. Much as America views "tanked", knows nothing about fish tanks, just likes the pretty fish. If it were for us, it would be like the show "this old house" and most of us know the show :age: it is about the basics, the raw structure...the foundation. We need a show about the foundation of the hobby. Unfortunately everyone lives in a house and it appeals to the masses. The % of people with SW fish tanks is a lot lower....money wins people, money always wins.(fish lose). Sorry for everyone, and mostly sorry for the fish.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I think a show that highlights the intense hobbiest with a SPS packed 7 gallon nano, to the guy with a 1000 gallon reef in his front room would be a better show. There are some on this very forum that have remarkable systems in their homes. Include fresh water of course. No theme tanks.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com