Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I like that commercial. My friends remind me I was like that when I had my fish stores. It isn't necessarily profitable, but as those that know me on this forum, I have some difficulty in keeping my mouth shut.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I like that commercial. My friends remind me I was like that when I had my fish stores. It isn't necessarily profitable, but as those that know me on this forum, I have some difficulty in keeping my mouth shut.
I wish more store had people like you running them.. I was at a lfs in Gainesville fl and heard the guy telling someone with a 55g tank that a trigger would be fine in it.. Sigh.. I like that commercial as well though.. 'Hes got saltwater tanks, fresh water tanks, brackish tanks.. That fish? No, your not ready for that fish' lol

Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It's really hard. Not that long ago, I was the guy who wanted the school of tangs in the 55 gallon. We all follow a learning curve, I just hate to see semi loads of fish daily going into the land fill world wide. The environmentalist will shut us down if we don't do a better job of maintaing and creating our own stocks. I am a diver and have very mixed emotions about my own hobby.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
I am a diver and have very mixed emotions about my own hobby.
Exactly why I got out of the business. It was exciting in the beginning, but It made me sick how many corals went through my tanks. The reality is, just being in this hobby is destroying the reefs. Aquaculture or not, eventually, your beautiful tank is going to provoke someone else to start one of their own....and so on, and so on....
I do hope they close the reefs to us. We have enough corals right now (if we keep them alive) to share with everyone. The problem is fish......we can't breed many, many species we see in this hobby as of yet.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

My sons girl friend is a biologist that just came back from Indonesia. She worked with natives and their fragging lagoons they use now. It is a step in the right direction for corals, but as X said, most fish are different. Those angel fish and tangs we all have all bought were kidnapped off a reef somewhere. The best anyone can do right now is treat the death of one of these creatures as a sin and try to stay within your abilities and expertise for the fishes and the hobby's sake. It's why Tanked may tank us all.

If I were an environmentalist, I would show ATM tank pictures before and after. Nobody would argue that was a waste of some hard to find fish. Just the shot of a dead regal angelfish floating amongst the rubber coral would do it. I have been called the Tang Police for good cause. I am disturbed by one hobbiest after another that ignores basic guidelines because it must not apply to them, or they didn't research the purchase at all. They kill off fish over and over again and that will eventually blow back on us all, just as Tanked is going to. Most people don't understand why we need to do this anyway.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
It's really hard. Not that long ago, I was the guy who wanted the school of tangs in the 55 gallon. We all follow a learning curve, I just hate to see semi loads of fish daily going into the land fill world wide. The environmentalist will shut us down if we don't do a better job of maintaing and creating our own stocks. I am a diver and have very mixed emotions about my own hobby.
Don't feel bad for diving. It's likely that you have more respect and appreciation for the environment because you get to closely observe it. The same for people who hunt, as long as they don't waist meat.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

But hunting has already felt the sting of regulations. Here at least in the US, you can serve jail time for collecting or shooting the wrong thing. Imagine those regulations placed on fish and coral. If a fish or coral gets placed on the endangered list, you will not be allowed to breed it or have it under any circumstances unless you are a researcher with proper permits.

Irresponsibility of a few creates regulations we all have to live with, no matter what it is.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are already regulations on some species....like Rhizotrochus Typus for instance.
If they catch you grabbing one, you are in trouble, however, you can have one in your possession and not be touched. There will always be people pushing the envelope if money is involved. You just have to stop it all together I'm afraid.

....but that brings potentially more danger to the reefs. The locals in Indo take much better care of their reefs now that they are a source of cash. If the corals become worthless to them, that's what they will be treated like. .....
Old 05-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yep. They talk about repopulating their reefs, and they do some of that, but the live coral trade brings in the cash.

One thing though that may save us, some species are just going to get hard or impossible to get, even if still legal. But I have watched coral going from "very difficult to propagate" to being almost as easy as growing petunias. All in the past 20 years. With our ability to duplicate reef conditions, coral farming is a good investment. It doesn't take all that much, something X has pointed out for years. We tend to over complicate the process.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting. What species did you see this happen with? What was nearly impossible 20 years ago that's a joke now?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com