Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I would say acropora is a good example. Were you aware 20 years ago that you could break one apart and super glue it to tiles and it would grow brand new colonies? I never heard of it back then, but I am from Missouri, not much ocean here. In fact flower pots were considered the coral of choice because they lasted 6 months before they died. Only very advanced hobbiest grew SPS, now folks grow it in 7 gallon nano tanks. While I didn't mean to claim its a joke, it did get exponentially easier.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
LOL. I'm about half as old as you in the reef world. Undergravel filters weren't used when I got in

Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

They were state of the art in freshwater back when I started. Guess folks still use them today. Getting old has only one advantage, perspective. We have come a long way in a few decades.

LEDs

Protein skimmers and the Berlin method using live rock

Good heaters and chillers

Good salt

RO/DI water!

Circulation augmenters, like fans and pumps

Filtration media, we had charcoal and filter floss, period.

Foods

Accurate test kits, we had ph strips.

and a host of other things.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I feel like such a noob.. Honestly though, I really appreciate the advice that people like you and mr. X give, and I thank you. I hope to be in your position one day giving advice!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Just stick with it and get old.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:47 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crabs View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I believe in Karma...what goes around, comes around.

These guys know that they are the grim reapers of the hobby and they are just going for instant gratification and promotional advertising. Someone should do a story and follow up on their tanks to get an understanding out there, of what really happens to the fish after the show concludes.

I think their rising star would diminish rapdily, and rightly so.
I don't watch tv so not familiar with this show but scanning through this thread which caught my attention this sounds like a good case for an investigative reporter. A good story broadcasted would quickly bring the "glory" down or at least raise some questions and public awareness.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAL0044 View Post

I don't watch tv so not familiar with this show but scanning through this thread which caught my attention this sounds like a good case for an investigative reporter. A good story broadcasted would quickly bring the "glory" down or at least raise some questions and public awareness.
I agree with you. I just hope that a reporter would show both sides of the story. What if cases where a lot of fish die are very few, and when they do it is when the client demanded to have it set up right away. If the news gets ahold of it it is unlikely we will hear a fair representation.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiken5968 View Post

I agree with you. I just hope that a reporter would show both sides of the story. What if cases where a lot of fish die are very few, and when they do it is when the client demanded to have it set up right away. If the news gets ahold of it it is unlikely we will hear a fair representation.
A "good investigative reporting" is just that, my Friend, unbiased and showing ALL the facts, letting the public to decide whether it s good or bad. I do not know one personally but there are many people on this forum. Someone out there may have just the right person.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #59
Fish R friends, not food!

Some of the tanks are no longer in their original places, but, not necessarily because they failed. The phone booth tank ended up in my LFS because the people moved back to NY. I just bought lights from a person here that had a 2500 gallon tank installed in their house by ATM. (They are the same couple that owned the 702 motoring tank made out of a car. That tank is also being sold because they sold the business). It is beautiful and doing well. I did hear that the Serendipity tank (gumball machine) failed due to algae because it was outside.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bix22 View Post
I always wonder how they access the tanks to do water changes, etc. I'm sure someone is hired to maintain the tanks. I have a 20 gal and complain about water changes at times!!! So I can't imagine the work needed for a huge tank such as the church's.
The one with the church has a whole team of marine biologists on hand to take care of it and quarantine. That one I'm sure is getting taken care of.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com