Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAL0044 View Post

A "good investigative reporting" is just that, my Friend, unbiased and showing ALL the facts, letting the public to decide whether it s good or bad. I do not know one personally but there are many people on this forum. Someone out there may have just the right person.
There are just not many of those these days. People that will report both sides. Almost every news station had an agenda.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I sure don't want to harm their business of building tanks, I would just like them to project a more responsible attitude towards the live stock. They need a biologist on board that they listen to.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #63
AA Team Emeritus

I'm torn on this show... obviously I enjoy watching the tanks and the builds. Then you see some of the stock. I realize they are in the business to make money. They probably overstock the FW tanks to account for deaths during acclimation, spikes, etc. I do like that they use a lot of captive bred species, not that it makes it that much better than wilds dying.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
I'm torn on this show... obviously I enjoy watching the tanks and the builds. Then you see some of the stock. I realize they are in the business to make money. They probably overstock the FW tanks to account for deaths during acclimation, spikes, etc. I do like that they use a lot of captive bred species, not that it makes it that much better than wilds dying.
All those tangs, angelfish and box fish weren't raised. I also find it entertaining, but sends a bad message IMO.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Freak

I regularly watch both Tanked and Fish Tank Kings. I feel that there is more beneficial information on Fish Tank Kings but you still have to listen carefully to catch it. I personally like River Monsters as my "Fish Show". I know the vast majority of the fish on the show are completely impossible to keep in any tank short of a public aquarium and its solely freshwater but there is SO much more information about the ecology of the fish and about some of the environments that some of the fish we ARE able to keep at home come from, that I prefer it over either of the Fish Tank shows. I like some of the acrylic work and tank designs that the other shows have but I just can't take the stupidity and irresponsibility that they show when stocking a tank. It's absurd, sickening, stupefying and is nothing less than an atrocity to just write off the lives of so many species that are continually disappearing from our oceans. I'm far from being an environmentalist but I also believe that purchasing fish is the same as purchasing any animal, in that the purchaser is taking on the responsibility of providing the best possible care they are able to provide to the animal. That means they should be educated in the needs and requirements for owning said animal. Purchasing fish that the person doesn't have a large enough aquarium for is the same as buying a dog and locking it in a closet. Since they aren't cuddly, people forget they are living things with personalities and feelings. I just needed to vent and state my piece on this topic in a place where I know there are like minded folk. I personally educate both my Fiancée and mother on what and why the things on tanked are so wrong.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Well said. I can tell you that diving for years has made me very aware of where those fish at the LFS came from, well at least the majority. Clown fish seem to be an exception as the market has swayed to tank raised varieties.

I have lived with parrots most of my life, guess fish people are bird people as well sometimes. I remember when the bird trade, at the barrel of federal legislation, was shut down. It was a good thing too as it had gone out of control. But you can easily buy a parrot today because the breeders had to step up. Caught birds were gone. And people "flocked" to hand raised birds because they were healthier and gentler. I bet the best way to see tank raised tangs hit the market is to shut down their wild capture at the sources.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Didn't Hawaii have something going on where they were going to stop the capture and export of certain fish? I almost recall it being Yellow Tangs...don't recall what happened with that though.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

They've tried every year. It barely fails each time.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree that something needs to be done to prevent over collecting of fish, but I am not sure an outright ban would be the best option. It can create a black market, and likely the people who can afford the illegal fish can also afford a good lawyer to get out of the charges, or greatly reduce them. I think a safe an easy thing to do is establish large reserve arias. This has worked quite well for fishing. People fish all around reserves, they catch more fish, and the numbers of fish increase since they have safe havens to spawn in.

It may not be a perfect idea, but it has done well when applied to fishing. In my opinion it could work with aquarium fish.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Freak

Isn't "river monsters" a show where they catch fish with a hook?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com