Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes they catch them on a hook, the way it's been done for hundreds of years. The fish caught on a hook also survive and are free to go about their business within a couple of minutes. I would quicker have someone hook me in the mouth and let me go rather than be caught in a large net and the boxed up shipped half way across the planet and then shoved in a closet and kept there for my life.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Yes they catch them on a hook, the way it's been done for hundreds of years.The fish caught on a hook also survive and are free to go about their business within a couple of minutes.
Doesn't make it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
I would quicker have someone hook me in the mouth and let me go rather than be caught in a large net and the boxed up shipped half way across the planet and then shoved in a closet and kept there for my life.
Do you keep an aquarium? If so isn't that a tad hypocritical?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #73
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfaller1 View Post
Do you keep an aquarium? If so isn't that a tad hypocritical?
I think we are all a little hypocritical, you know, being that this is a fish keeping website and all.

I think he was just saying he would take being snagged by a hook over caught and kept captive. Quite the hypothetical scenario.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have multiple aquariums, but I (unlike the members of the Tanked show we were initially talking about) care to research and learn the care requirements needed to provide proper care for the fish I purchase. I don't claim to be perfect, nor that hooking a fish in the mouth is without its issues, but is much better compared to the mass harvesting of fish with the majority being doomed to die before even making it to a home aquarium and still more being doomed to an existence in an aquarium which is not properly set up to meet their needs.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well said.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I guess my point in all of this is that we need to be more responsible with our hobby and try our best to lower the mortality rate we currently have.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Activist

i think ive posted this on this site before, but gotta take Tanked for entertainment only. this is the worst ive heard of from them. copy/paste from MFK.

00rollins said:
04-10-2012 10:31 PM
I know for a fact that tanked is fully staged BS. I was able to see the filming of the show in person. This season will air an episode were they build a tank into an orthodontics office in West Islip, NY. I was there. They built a ridiculously awesome tank that is actually built into the building, i mean it cant be removed part of the structure. So filming day they are all there sitting around all day doing nothing while hired help fills this gigantic tank for hours. They provide written script to the doctor as he has to react on camera to the tank. Then re-shot all the the scenes several times, completely false from start to finish, not reality TV just acted like anything else on TV. Not the worst, they always talk about acclimation, this was a salt water shark tank, they threw thousands of dollars worth of fish into this tank without any acclimation at all. Several nice sized sharks and a ton of other salt water fish that should not have been with the sharks. Within 48 hours only 2 fish were left alive a small shark blinded by bashing himself into the wall of the tank and a large nurse shark that almost burst from eating so many dead fish. It was a horror show. The doctor had to pay for all the fish. The tank is free from the show. Seriously disturbing what so called fish lovers will do for money and fame. The filters were not even ready to be used these guys filmed and walked out fish started dying within hours. These guys are scum.

AWWWWWWWWWWWW WHAT A RUSH!
GBHammbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:10 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Freak

Now if that is all a FACT... There has got to be a good investigative reporter out there to cover story like this! This is sickening!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:42 AM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I knew it was all produced, almost all reality TV is. But I gave them credit it wasn't as bad as that piece described. At big fish trade shows, it's amazing what they set up in a few days then tear down and sell off hours after the show is over. but none of it was to be permanent. The theme tank thing is getting pretty weak. The doctors tank this week with the phony internal organs mixed into the rubber coral. Just what I want to see and how secondary the fish become. Also it is another impossible to clean that tank, something every aquarium owner for the last thousand years has had to do occasionally. While I would die to have a tank I had to scuba in to clean, I wouldn't have one that had to be cleaned with long tools.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:46 AM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

It makes me wander how the deep water tank they did for the Fl aquarium is doing...even before I started fishkeeping I knew something was off with that show

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com