Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2013, 01:51 AM   #81
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Fish Tank Kings had a major blow out of one of their installations I heard. You got to give these guys some credit, it isn't easy gluing sheets of 2" acrylic together. That stuff gets heavy fast. It's the tanks in baseball backstops and their like that ruins it for me. I may be old fashioned (I am) but there are places aquariums should go and places they shouldn't go. These bad ideas come from people that could care less about the hobby, they are making a statement using their money.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #82
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The new season of Fish Tank Kings comes back on June 1st and I heard that they are going to be taking a more 'educational' route this time.. I will turn it on and see exactly how educational it is.. Hoping for the best

Old 05-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadair22 View Post
The new season of Fish Tank Kings comes back on June 1st and I heard that they are going to be taking a more 'educational' route this time.. I will turn it on and see exactly how educational it is.. Hoping for the best
I just hope they have less of the biologist and the artist arguing. I think it's childish and It reminds me of those shows like real house wives.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiken5968 View Post

I just hope they have less of the biologist and the artist arguing. I think it's childish and It reminds me of those shows like real house wives.
Agreed.. It's make these type of shows unwatchable for me
Old 05-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
LOL. I'm about half as old as you in the reef world. Undergravel filters weren't used when I got in
Geez you guys really make me feel old. lol
When I did my first saltwater tank, it was in the old slate bottom/ metal framing tanks. I lived on the NJ shore so I got water from the ocean but I only got fish to live about 6 months because, as I grew to understand, the water was just getting too contaminated by the metal and slate and a typical 10% monthly water change (the "norm" back then) just wasn't diluting the toxins enough to sustain life. But I know much better now
And Mr. X, I was around when the latest innovation to the under gravel filter was RIPPLES! If we only knew then what we know now, Right GregCoyote?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post

Geez you guys really make me feel old. lol
When I did my first saltwater tank, it was in the old slate bottom/ metal framing tanks. I lived on the NJ shore so I got water from the ocean but I only got fish to live about 6 months because, as I grew to understand, the water was just getting too contaminated by the metal and slate and a typical 10% monthly water change (the "norm" back then) just wasn't diluting the toxins enough to sustain life. But I know much better now
And Mr. X, I was around when the latest innovation to the under gravel filter was RIPPLES! If we only knew then what we know now, Right GregCoyote?
It's almost ridiculous looking back. But I would bet we look as ridiculous 20 years from now.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
It's almost ridiculous looking back. But I would bet we look as ridiculous 20 years from now.
Well Greg, that's when you and I will be sitting in our rocking chairs saying " Do you remember back in the day when we did........?"
Old 05-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

But I'm already in a rocking chair...
Old 05-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
But I'm already in a rocking chair...

Well then just keep rocking until I get there please
Old 05-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I never watch "Fish Tank Kings", but I have watched "Tanked" a lot and I must say I like it for the entertainment value. Some of the tanks I have seen them make are amazing.

Having said that, I can't believe how they stock them sometimes. It always seems over stocked. I will say while they do not show it in their show, on their website they do tell you how to look after your aquarium.

Acrylic Tank Manufacturing of Las Vegas, Nevada | Home of the Hit TV Show TANKED only on Animal Planet | Custom Acrylic Aquariums, Pool Panels, Water Features and Exhibits

Also their store does talk about cycling the tanks.

Aquarium Cycling | Acrylic Tank Manufacturing

So they do know what they are doing, but I do agree a lot of what they do on the show is for "Show".

It's a TV show, so a-lot of what goes on will be scripted to have fun, and to entertain us. Do you really think "Redneck"" slept the whole time they were pulling his trailer to the middle of the desert for a prank? Come on, that took days to set up. It was funny, and for entertaining TV it worked. So I have no disillusion that don't have a script they read. To me it's just a entertaining show, but you MUST dig deeper into their website to find the important information, that I feel is lacking in the show.

I heard that they prepare their water and everything else in advance before they set up the tank. They have all the filters seeded with bacteria already and all the water is basically their water ready to go. They than throw their bactira in a bottle in the tank.

Also lets not forget, this is a BIG company and they do thousands of tanks, so it's bound to have a bad tank here and there. It's no excuse, but a cooling unit going out is possible. My only gripe with the Gum Ball tank was there was nothing for the fish to hide out in if they wanted too, it was bare.

So while I am torn on the issue, I do think they know what they are doing and to be honest they are not going to show the acclimation process as it would be too long for TV. I do wish they would talk about it and just say that they HAD to do it first.

Overall I think the show is entertaining, but it's not informative. My only real problem is that it can give the wrong message to people that want to start a tank and not study. They just go and do what the ATM guys do, not realizing that the show is scripted or the massive amount of work that goes on behind the curtain to get the tanks up and running.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com