Tanked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raleighfishnerd

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So tanked came and did a 2200 gallon tank for a new restaurant around the corner from my house

image-2496150088.jpg

The restaurant is called cowfish and the episode will be airing on Friday. We happened to be there when the company that will be maintaining the tank was replacing all the fish that had been lost in the uncycled tank. ATM should really just stick to building the tanks and letting pros stock it.

I like the show and they build some nice tanks (some really bad ones too), but they also promote a lot of what I feel are bad ideas.

If you did not know better, you would think that throwing live sand and pre-mixed saltwater is all you need to do. Then, totally stock your tank with 50-90 fish all at once. While you're at it, throw in multiple clowns, same species tangs and damsels. I would let them build me a tank, but I'd never let them stock it.

IDK. Those fake corals do nothing for me.
Its like having a garden and filling it with plastic plants

All those fish were swimming around a awesome reef a few weeks ago! When I buy a fish I remember that and try to give them the best I can. Some people just think there disposable soon or later they won't be available. Sad!!! They say look at that fish he's awesome they know their going to die!!! Give me money!!!!!!!

The tanks probably come with someone to pull a fish as soon as it dies and replace it before people figure out the truth

This one here the company that is doing the maintenance the owner came by everyday to check on the fish and put them into qt to try and save them. They say the average is that 60% of the fish ATM puts into tanks die. So sad they have a show.

The guys from tanked. That's what they apparently told the owner of the restaurant

They built a tank at a duncan donuts near me and I went and visited it. Dying fish floating around the tank, was not a pretty sight. :( while the tank was pretty cool and awesome to see, no body else seemed to feel the pain I felt while looking at all those poor fish. Not sure if that episode already aired or is going to as i'm not up to date with the show currently.

So it was about 75% of those fish on the episode that did not make it. So sad. All but one of the cowfish and all the tangs died the only ones that really made it were the big eyed squirrel fish and foxfaces went from 150 fish to only maybe 25

I don't know about anyone else, but I believe in Karma...what goes around, comes around.

These guys know that they are the grim reapers of the hobby and they are just going for instant gratification and promotional advertising. Someone should do a story and follow up on their tanks to get an understanding out there, of what really happens to the fish after the show concludes.

I think their rising star would diminish rapdily, and rightly so.

Yes yes I agree with the fact that animals are dying needlessly and they may be promoting bad habits and giving misleading info...BUT IT'S TELEVISION. The quickest way to get them off the air is to NOT watch!! If you are watching while disagreeing or not liking/complaining they are still getting play time by the volume of ppl watching.

I don't know about anyone else, but I believe in Karma...what goes around, comes around.

These guys know that they are the grim reapers of the hobby and they are just going for instant gratification and promotional advertising. Someone should do a story and follow up on their tanks to get an understanding out there, of what really happens to the fish after the show concludes.

I think their rising star would diminish rapdily, and rightly so.

Completely Agree. I'd love to see their reaction to being questioned why the fish in their projects have a death rate of near 100%. And then go into the detail of what changes needed to be made to their systems in order to make them serviceable to fish.

I like seeing the tanks they build and the fish they get....but not at the expense of the fish. No wonder knuckleheads want to put an end to the capture and sale of marine fish....

Yeah..the stockings are pretty bad sometimes and they make it look like it's so easy and things like that. I still enjoy the show. I don't have a salt tank but if I did..I wouldn't have the fake coral like they do in their tanks too

I feel like talking about this show is like beating a horse with a dead stick.. But every time I turn it on I have to flip the channel because its so awful.. I was watching a rerun yesterday where they did a (ugly) shark tank for Tracy Morgan.. Aside from the usual overstocking, it showed another one of his tanks which he claimed to love and such, and yet was completely overrun with aiptasia.. It looked disgusting.. Just another reminder that these are the environments that end up being created.. I'm sure he means no harm, but there is a big difference between wanting to understand, create and sustain a living environment they way true hobbyists do, and the ones that want an aquarium just as 'decoration' and have unlimited money to throw at it..

I have a question:
In the old days (very old days) of cycling saltwater tanks, we knew, once the ammonia and nitrite levels returned back to 0, that there were enough nitrifying bacteria present to handle the existing bioload in the tank at the time the levels went back to 0. With the "NEW WAY" of using live sand and live water, how do you know what kind of bioload can be handled with these products? Does it say how much on either of these products? If it does, maybe someone should ask the TANKED guys if they are following the suggested bioload or bring to their attention their excesses. If it doesn't, maybe someone should notify these companies that they should. I'm not saying these guys are right in what they put into their displays. I'm just thinking, Maybe it's not all them? Just a thought ;)

I'm from back in the old days. :). I think that there is probably no way of telling exactly what bio load can be handled in a fresh tank, BUT even with a freshly cycled tank, using the new way of doing things, i would think that common sense would tell you not too add all your fish instantly.

The box fish tank is a prime example of their ignorance. They mention the box fish toxins and how they need to add "peaceful" fish. They add a Harlequin Tusk, multiple tangs and other fish that are semi-aggressive.

I'd love to see them admit that a lot of their fish were dying, so they brought in a new guy to handle those issues. Stop the "we've gotta build a huge tank in thirty seconds" mentality and start showing some responsible stocking and fish keeping, but still build cool tanks.

I'm from back in the old days. :). I think that there is probably no way of telling exactly what bio load can be handled in a fresh tank, BUT even with a freshly cycled tank, using the new way of doing things, i would think that common sense would tell you not too add all your fish instantly.

The box fish tank is a prime example of their ignorance. They mention the box fish toxins and how they need to add "peaceful" fish. They add a Harlequin Tusk, multiple tangs and other fish that are semi-aggressive.

I was just curious as I haven't seen nor sold these products when in the biz. Not much of their fish stocking makes sense to me BUT, before I added my 2 cents, I wanted to make sure there was nothing written or suggested. Then again, I cycled some big systems using DLS material from one then split up into 9 sections. This was followed by massive water changes for a short period of time "Just in case" as I was importing a lot of fish at the time. So I know that, under the right conditions, it CAN BE DONE starting with some established material.
My opinion is that maybe Animal Planet needs to be contacted to do a special or series, "AFTER TANKED... The followup!" just so people can see what really happens in those fish tanks. Boxfish with Tusks..... what were they thinking????

I have not seen anything either. That would be interesting to find out though. I've have had and/or been around a lot of different tanks over the years. Nothing over 300g, but it just seems like common sense would tell you that you can't add all your fish at one time and expect success. There are also basic principles with compatibility that need to be followed if you want a few survivors and these guys go against those on most tanks.

Back
Top Bottom