Tanked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did anyone actually think to contact ATM to get their side of the story? I've emailed them a couple of times and had very prompt responses to both of my questions. It's pretty easy to sit back critique someone playing the proverbial armchair quarterback, it's something entirely different when your actually playing!
If they are willing to put there name to a show, they should make sure they take the time to educate people on at least the basics of fish keeping. After all, they were the one's who approached the network with the idea of a 'Fish Tank' show. Surely they have some input/control of what makes it into the show. Even a special episode on fish care would go some way to help educate people....

If they are willing to put there name to a show, they should make sure they take the time to educate people on at least the basics of fish keeping. After all, they were the one's who approached the network with the idea of a 'Fish Tank' show. Surely they have some input/control of what makes it into the show. Even a special episode on fish care would go some way to help educate people....

First off ... +1 with Hukit.

I also agree that an episode on basics of fish keeping could go a long way with helping viewers understand the behind the scenes of how the tanks and fish are prepped. Unfortunately, if it's on tv, then it's about the ratings so it's anyones guess if such an episode is considered ratings worthy.

I agree with all the above. I just get a unsettled feeling when hard to find and difficult to keep fish are chosen because they match a sneaker floating in the tank. Or cow fish are killed in mass for a restaurant named after them. I'm sure the ATM guys are very hard working and fun people, I just am responding to reports on this thread about lots of pretty fish dying for what is apparent from the show, an emphasis for a dramatic unveiling as fast as possible, and a disregard of livestock selection over matching a theme.

I'm not sure what their side of the story would be. They act like they know a lot about the fish they add to the tanks, but go against just about every rational stocking rule out there. They mix fish that are not compatible. They often create tanks that are not suitable for the fish they add. There are numerous reports of their tanks having absurd death rates shortly after completion.

I think that a special show that explains how to properly cycle a tank and some stocking and tank maintenance guidelines would be great and would probably be well received by viewers.

I don't doubt that they work hard, are nice people or think that they don't care. There's just a disconnect somewhere that I can't imagine could be explained to most people's liking

First off ... +1 with Hukit.

I also agree that an episode on basics of fish keeping could go a long way with helping viewers understand the behind the scenes of how the tanks and fish are prepped. Unfortunately, if it's on tv, then it's about the ratings so it's anyones guess if such an episode is considered ratings worthy.
I agree. Unfortunately in this case and with most, if not all TV shows, ratings are the most important issue. With it being on Animal Planet, you would imagine they would have more of an interest in educating than other networks. I'm not bashing the show, I watch it and I enjoy it. Unfortunately it gives the impression that you can pick any fish and just put them in a tank and you have an aquarium. I know it's up to people to educate themselves but would 10-15mins really kill the ratings???

I agree with all the above. I just get a unsettled feeling when hard to find and difficult to keep fish are chosen because they match a sneaker floating in the tank. Or cow fish are killed in mass for a restaurant named after them. I'm sure the ATM guys are very hard working and fun people, I just am responding to reports on this thread about lots of pretty fish dying for what is apparent from the show, an emphasis for a dramatic unveiling as fast as possible, and a disregard of livestock selection over matching a theme.
I agree

I'm not sure what their side of the story would be. They act like they know a lot about the fish they add to the tanks, but go against just about every rational stocking rule out there. They mix fish that are not compatible. They often create tanks that are not suitable for the fish they add. There are numerous reports of their tanks having absurd death rates shortly after completion.

I think that a special show that explains how to properly cycle a tank and some stocking and tank maintenance guidelines would be great and would probably be well received by viewers.

I don't doubt that they work hard, are nice people or think that they don't care. There's just a disconnect somewhere that I can't imagine could be explained to most people's liking
I agree

We probably represent less than 1% of their viewers, otherwise you would see Marineland advertising on the show. But what you see is some occasional product placement.

There are numerous reports of their tanks having absurd death rates shortly after completion.

I keep seeing this statement regurgitated throughout this thread, where are these reports coming from? Internet forums, chat rooms, Facebook, someone knew a guy who dated the one guy who said the fish died, or someone who actually knows what they're talking about from first hand knowledge?

Last edited:
I guess it's possible the earlier posters that claimed eyes on knowledge were all impostors, but common sense told me that in many cases, if they let the fish they showed on tv stay in that tank, they were going to die a unnaturally short life. It robs those of us that take the hobby seriously and not just a form of decoration. Get plastic fish to go with the plastic coral?

I agree. Unfortunately in this case and with most, if not all TV shows, ratings are the most important issue. With it being on Animal Planet, you would imagine they would have more of an interest in educating than other networks.

Although the show is on the Animal Planet, let's keep two things in mind.

1. The show .. like other reality based shows ... is about Entertainment first, then in this case education 2nd. Entertainment brings in the ratings, which brings in the advertisers which ultimately brings in the $$$$$. I'd like to see a behind the scenes episode, I don't think it would bomb in the ratings.

2. ATM is a business. They have customers that have particular needs (some of which are somewhat insane) and they have competitors. If ATM can't deliver, someone else will.

I was super glad to see a show that I cared to see, but the second season seems to be focused on the jokes and personal relationships... I am going to stop watching Tanked and see if Other shows can give more of what most people on this thread are seeking

I was super glad to see a show that I cared to see, but the second season seems to be focused on the jokes and personal relationships... I am going to stop watching Tanked and see if Other shows can give more of what most people on this thread are seeking

As far as I know its only tanked and fish tank kings I like tanked more not so much the people they over produce the show which i hate as that's my major in school. But I'm more interested in seeing the tanks. I agree though they used to show them like building parts of the tanks now they don't really do that

Wouldn't that fall into the responsibility of the actual owners?

Totally agree mate. If any of my fish die jewel isn't to blame. They provide a tv program for entertainment not to educate people. If people decide they want any pet they should research it themselves before getting it. I think it's a great show, good to see them enjoying they're job and having a laugh unlike fish tank kings. You would think they were slaves building pyramids they way they go on

I googled for interviews with atm and the fish tank kings,
Found one of the ATM guys getting interviewed at MACNA, and basically what they said is they made the show for the non-hobbiest, and hinted that they have had actual hobbyist complain about they're show. Then they explained how how a few years ago this was a dying hobby and that they were trying to get new people in and money into the hobby.
Then i found the interview with the fish tank kings, i think its already been mentioned that mrsaltwaterank was interviewing them.
But they talked alot about the new season and how they added more process into the show, also that they set up a large quarantine system.
I think both shows have their own qualities, but one is definitely for the hobbyist and one is more to get people interested.

I googled for interviews with atm and the fish tank kings,
Found one of the ATM guys getting interviewed at MACNA, and basically what they said is they made the show for the non-hobbiest, and hinted that they have had actual hobbyist complain about they're show. Then they explained how how a few years ago this was a dying hobby and that they were trying to get new people in and money into the hobby.
Then i found the interview with the fish tank kings, i think its already been mentioned that mrsaltwaterank was interviewing them.
But they talked alot about the new season and how they added more process into the show, also that they set up a large quarantine system.
I think both shows have their own qualities, but one is definitely for the hobbyist and one is more to get people interested.

Even the most diehard hobbyist would kill for one of their tanks. Absolutely amazing the tanks they produce. With adequate filtration the tanks would be fine. It's not for the viewers to decide wether the tanks are perfect or not but the customer. I'd love one of their tanks and if you don't agree then you need your head tested lol

I too would love to have one of their non-theme tanks. And I watch both shows. But, yes, some of use diehard hobbyists are put off by the livestock process they show on the air.

The tank I liked most was the one for the jackass crew. It was simple big and square. The inserts were ugly and they never look close real. But I would kill for that 1200 gallon tank!!

Back
Top Bottom