Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSerik View Post
Pretty sure they unstock the tanks after filming. They seem to really care about fish.
have you seen the fish they put in the tanks? Many have illness but some are healthy. Guess its just all the stress of moving... I would guess they just send the client out with the tank and leave it to them.

I wish the clients would do some research for themselfs too you know? Still its one of the few shows about home aquaria and i like the show.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

have you seen the way they nadle those fish?!? its a miracle in and of itself that they make it into the tank alive.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

They don't seem to take the time to cycle the tanks or acclimate the fish. Of course they may do all that off camera I don't know
Old 11-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmilkman View Post
They don't seem to take the time to cycle the tanks or acclimate the fish. Of course they may do all that off camera I don't know
They state that they use seeded media and do some other things and also they show the aclimating of the fish in most of the episodes.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

yeah they essentially have enough water and media on hand to kickstart a tank quickly. i think that this still plays a big part in the success (or lack thereof) in the setups they install. i just cant buy into the idea that using established media and filtration allows one to instantly establish a completely seperate tank...
Old 11-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
yeah they essentially have enough water and media on hand to kickstart a tank quickly. i think that this still plays a big part in the success (or lack thereof) in the setups they install. i just cant buy into the idea that using established media and filtration allows one to instantly establish a completely seperate tank...
I imagine that they have a large tank of about 100 gallons where they have a bunch of HOBs and add ammonia or somthing to keep the bb alive, then they just take media from that tank and stick it in the new tank. Also they use real ocean water so they do not have to mix their own. It would be a pain mixing 1000 gallons eh?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

real ocean water or not it is a pain doing anything with 1000g (except looking at it lol)
Old 11-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

I couldn't imagine 1000 gallons. My tank is only a 90 and I haven't even put fish in it yet. I'm still trying to decide on fresh or salt.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
the thing to understand with ATM is that they 1) are not a fan-based hobby and 2) they work with a clientele that tells them what they want, where they want it, and how they want it.... saying no to those types of clients means you are going to be out of business within a year or so. that being said i dont really blame them for building a successful business and supporting several families. i blame the tv channel that cooked up this stupid tv idea and has them nailed down to some stupid horrible scripting and fake acting. the show would be 10x better and perhaps they could actually pass along some good husbandry skills if they werent following that insane dialog
I completely agree. There have been a few threads about these guys. I guess if your wealthy enough to afford one of there tanks, you can afford to have someone else look after it too. I can't imagine many of their clients shoulder deep in water, cleaning algae!!. I agree that some of there practises are not good but as huma-huma said, if your paying for the stock, you get to choose it. I believe the tank is free but the client pays for the stock......
PS.... I have heard stories from fellow members about equally bad advice from there LFS, so it really is the clients responsibility to do there own research....
Old 11-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank that made me cringe the most was the skateboard ramp tank that they put the puffer in... I'd think the poor thing would puff itself to death with all the noise and commotion of having their tank skated on...

Close second would be nearly every shark tank they build... So often they're stuffing black tips, nurse sharks, AND carpet sharks into systems that aren't even adequate for ONE of them when full grown. Unless they have a service where once the sharks outgrow the tanks they find new homes for them and get new babies, I don't see how things work out...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com