Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #41

Location: i dont remember. let me take my arm out of the tank.
Tanked guide to a coral tank: buy a fish bowl, put a peice of coral inside, and throw in 10 clownfish!

Old 12-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibsog View Post

Thats just sad....
and it didnt even have proper filtration, just a tiny bubble filter. they had to have known the setup was inadequate

Old 12-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

A few days ago I watched an episode were they built a coffin tank for some type of store. They put some skirt tetras, dragon gobies, and bubble eyed goldfish in the tank. Several of each of these. The tank looked like it was around 60 gallons. That is just a guess. I didn't know goldfish could live with tetras or in a tropical tank.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #44

Location: i dont remember. let me take my arm out of the tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpon View Post
and it didnt even have proper filtration, just a tiny bubble filter. they had to have known the setup was inadequate
Was that the baby bottle one
Old 12-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibsog View Post

Was that the baby bottle one
yah for tracy morgan
Old 12-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
What you guys see in the tank when it's aired isn't the final stocking. They put a crap ton of fish to show off the tank. Then they remove most of them.

Also, the tanks all get paid to be maintained.

So yes, it gives the wrong idea to newbies. But it's not like they're killing as much fish as you think. The only tank I know of that went badly was the gumball tank. The chiller couldn't handle the heat.

This is the most true thing in this thread. They do much much much more off scenes than what all you guys see. The overstock the crap outta tanks for the show then remove most of them.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:25 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
What you guys see in the tank when it's aired isn't the final stocking. They put a crap ton of fish to show off the tank. Then they remove most of them.

Also, the tanks all get paid to be maintained.

So yes, it gives the wrong idea to newbies. But it's not like they're killing as much fish as you think. The only tank I know of that went badly was the gumball tank. The chiller couldn't handle the heat.

So funny cause I was just about to say I love serendipity and I went past and didn't see that gum ball tank last time I was there. That has to be the dumbest idea ever! A saltwater tank outside in the desert with extreme heat and cold? Idiots!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 02:34 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I don't watch Tanked much. I have seen a few episodes. I agree that the stocking they display is not always the best choice, but like others have said, it is usually only short-term. The conditions are sometimes better than they seem and the tanks get cleaned more often than we think. They run a huge business and are likely experts. I don't have a problem with that. I do, however, don't like how they do so without explaining the thought process behind their choices or the fact that it is temporary. It gives the wrong message to beginners who watch the show. One day, someone is going to put 50 angelfish in a 30 gallon because the guys on Tanked did it. Basically, if you know your stuff, Tanked is an inspiring and entertaining show. But I wouldn't use it as a source of information.
maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:02 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellag View Post
I don't watch Tanked much. I have seen a few episodes. I agree that the stocking they display is not always the best choice, but like others have said, it is usually only short-term. The conditions are sometimes better than they seem and the tanks get cleaned more often than we think. They run a huge business and are likely experts. I don't have a problem with that. I do, however, don't like how they do so without explaining the thought process behind their choices or the fact that it is temporary. It gives the wrong message to beginners who watch the show. One day, someone is going to put 50 angelfish in a 30 gallon because the guys on Tanked did it. Basically, if you know your stuff, Tanked is an inspiring and entertaining show. But I wouldn't use it as a source of information.

I agree whole heartedly.

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com