Tanked opinion.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dylanp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm bored and can't sleep so I'm looking through Hulu. Anyway I'm watching tanked and I'm irritated with most of what they do. If you don't see it let me point my biggest thing out. The aquarium skate park. Who would want to cause that kinda stress on their fish. These guys obviously have knowledge on fish but they use it entirely for profit and and don't care about what happens off camera. That's how I feel. I want to know your opinion on this show and if anyone knows something better that's on tv and not just YouTube let me know. Not only that but when I picture anything salt water I kinda expect almost everything to be alive.. I didn't start this hobby to put fake plants, corals, and other nicknacks in it. Again, My opinion. What does everyone else think of this show?

Not a fan of Tanked.
They caught a lot of heat in the beginning not showing or explaining how they constantly add fish day one supposedly with out any issues...
Clearly they are in it for the love OF MONEY ,not fish IMO...
I would like to see an episode where they went back to tanks a month ,or year later..Maybe it is not possible with many of them....
You tube is not AS bad IMO but it is hard to cut through the salesman on it sometimes IMO..

Lucky you. Basically they build custom aquariums like shark tanks, unusual aquariums like one episode they turned a car into an aquarium. Another they turned a quarter pipe for skateboarding into an aquarium and all the stuff that isn't fish is fake 3D printed junk

Coralbandit I'm going to look into this and customer reviews. Honestly I Just wish there was something worth watching on the aquarium subject. I feel like people watching animal planet would be way more interested watching something educational on animal planet than this reality tv crap

It looks pretty bad unless you're a millionaire. The tanks that have been successful seem to be because hired people take care of them. Most things I've seen were negative.

Regarding the TV show "Tanked". I like the main characters but realize they are business people. The show is very unbalanced tilted towards the SW side of the hobby.
I believe the show needs to hire professional aquascapers, decorate with natural materials and ditch the manufactured cartoon-like, plastic / epoxy inserts.
At the end of every show, the size and weight of the completed tanks are announced, but the total cost of the project is omitted. I'd like to know how much that 400 gal. Acrylic tank, shipped 1000 miles via truck, unloaded by 10 men, lifted by crane and lowered into the courtyard of a palatial mansion owned by a sports star, wheeled inside to the great room, where the tank is plumbed, leveled and stocked with the same usual and predictable array of SW
fish as seen on the last episode cost.
Despite all this, I am a fan of the show and hope that it improves.

Nope, watched it twice, never again. I'd rather watch my own tanks. Or what people post on here. It's interesting to read up on everyone's progress and learn about things you didn't know. helping the ones you can help is a plus too. I don't watch much t.v. unless walking dead, or mountain men are on. Lol!

I forgot that one is not supposed to criticize without offering an alternative solution to the debated situation. Okay, I propose that "Tanked" recruit an all star aquarium team of Aqua gardeners, Hardscapers and accomplished fish nerds from a pool of qualified candidates selected by the major fish forums to pimp out their tanks.
I think the shows ratings would greatly improve. Customer satisfaction would be raised to a new level, and the hobby would become more appealing to the general public.

I especially don't like it when they build tank for exhibits that are only set up for a day or so before being tore down and shipped somewhere else, it can't be good for the fish

That’s amazing - seems like such a good idea - like the UK show ‘Grand Designs’ or something. Sounds a pity.

I have seen a few shows, somewhat interesting, but don't wish to use my time for that. They do some things which make me want to scream at them (maybe I do yell, but they can't hear me). Not a fan of the over done fake coral "environment".

Also have read that they over stock for the reveals and at times (unknown if all the time) remove fish.

I was told by Dr. Tim, of the add a liquid fame (met at his booth at MACNA in Denver), that they use huge amounts of his stuff for the tanks to cycle them. This tidbit is not an endorsement just a relating of a (sales promo) conversation.

In one of the tanked episodes, they literally made a working drum set out of fish tanks. That’s horrible! That would stress the fish out so much!

I love this show! I haven’t seen it in a while though. Some of the tanks just seem cruel to the fish. For example, I was watching an episode where they made a tank from a telephone booth. That, or they made the booth. Like Autumnsky said, it seems like they overstock their tanks. Some though, are very pretty and actually humane to the fish. They did an episode with Dwight Howard (I think) and he had a pretty sweet snake tank.

Also have read that they over stock for the reveals and at times (unknown if all the time) remove fish.

My wife and I went to ATM a few years ago when we were in Vegas and I asked about exactly this. The answer that Wade told us was that it was a tv show and to take everything you see with a huge grain of salt. Everything you see on the show is scripted and made for TV. They always (at least 99% of the time) overstock the tanks for the reveals then the tank is returned to a reasonable stock level and the excess fish are returned or given to the LFS that assists them with the setups. The ongoing tank maintenance is almost always handled by a local business as well. I'm not sure if you still can, but you used to be able to register with ATM as a tank maintenance affiliate on their website.

I personally feel that if you watch Tanked knowing that what you see is not reality it can make the show rather enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom