Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1KARMANN View Post
No matter what they did or the way they stock the tanks someone would always slag them off

Some of the cichlid tanks they do have to be stocked that way to stop aggression

What you also need to take into account is they also maintain the tanks they install so they can add and remove fish as they grow

Them guys do that as a job and make good money out of it yet you slag them off about certain things yet you probably take the word of a spotty teenager who just works in your local fish shop at weekends
Sticking 50 yellow labs in a 40 gallon popcorn tank with no cover is not appropriately stocking cichlids. Also, a shark tank they just did had one of the sharks die. It ran into a decoration and died...another one ate 3 look downs in front of customers. I would say that is inappropriate stocking.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

They are obviously doing something right or they wouldnt have gotten to the level they are at..

Old 10-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, actually the customers are generally too clueless to recognize what they're doing.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

They make great tanks IMO but it's also my opinion they don't stock many tanks properly. No one said every tank they do is wrong and they don't service all the tanks they install all around the country and out of country.

You have a right to your opinion also but you always have to make comments like this "them guys do that as a job and make good money out of it yet you slag them off about certain things yet you probably tank the word of a spotty teenager who works in your local fish shop at weekends". These comments are not in the least bit constructive and are insulting to many people.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Oh they also said the fish were shimmying because they were showing aggression to the other fish lol
Old 10-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #26

Yes they add silly things like moving cake stands but that's what the people want just like some people on this forum and others want a ship wreck blue gravel plastic plants

We all like different things which makes the hobby great what looks stunning to one person looks total rubbish to another

You say a 40 gal was to small for all them labs well the filtration that was on that 40 gal probably costs more than the average car

You can't say a tank is badly stocked until you know all of the facts as they don't goe that deep into filtration

As for a shark bumping into the decor and die that's a risk you tank taking any wild animal and placing it in captivity some adjust well others don't

And the shark eating fish again that's a risk you take with at predictor tank
What you find with large predators and shoaling fish is one or two may get picked off but the rest of the group learn to stay away

We all make mistakes in this hobby anyone who says they haven't is a dam liar

Have you also not notice tanks always goes to buy fish from a wholesaler so they normally take his advice as they are tank builder

But fish tank kings have there own fish geek Francis so they are fully to blame

Wait for it who's going to slag off fish tank kings now
Old 10-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I will be done after this but taking a white tip or black tip reef shark and putting it into an aquarium. Then saying ill risk letting it ram into things because It is stressing is not responsible fish keeping. Even the guy who got the tank said it was bad what happened, reef builders put a story up about it a little bit ago. And I disagree with fish tank kings stocking as well, I've just seen tanked more.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
yet you probably take the word of a spotty teenager who just works in your local fish shop at weekends
Not all the "weekend help" at your lfs is crap. As someone who has been in the hobby for over ten years, has two Bachelor's degrees, and has enjoyed two fish store jobs, this is just a tad offensive.

I'll bow out of this thread with this link... A friendly reminder about tact

Let's stay on topic, please.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:03 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstos View Post
I caught an episode yesterday (I'm in the UK so I'm behind) where they made a tank in an old television set. It only looked small but contained a mixture of bala sharks, red tipped sharks etc. That will end up in carnage for that poor kid,.
I saw that.one. There were rainbow, albino rainbow, red tail, and balla sharks in there. Not to mention guppies.

They need to say on camera that these fish grow much larger and will have to be regimes in a few months. I almost bought three balla sharks for a 29 gallon after seeing that. Lucky I did some research first.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:53 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Exactly. I wasnt slagging off the show and saying that they dont know what they are doing, I love the show! My concern is what will happen longer term and also that other people (i.e. my OH) think that it must be OK to stock like that because they are.

If they dont go into details of filtration, then how are people supposed to know?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com