Tanked question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No matter what they did or the way they stock the tanks someone would always slag them off

Some of the cichlid tanks they do have to be stocked that way to stop aggression

What you also need to take into account is they also maintain the tanks they install so they can add and remove fish as they grow

Them guys do that as a job and make good money out of it yet you slag them off about certain things yet you probably take the word of a spotty teenager who just works in your local fish shop at weekends

Sticking 50 yellow labs in a 40 gallon popcorn tank with no cover is not appropriately stocking cichlids. Also, a shark tank they just did had one of the sharks die. It ran into a decoration and died...another one ate 3 look downs in front of customers. I would say that is inappropriate stocking.

They are obviously doing something right or they wouldnt have gotten to the level they are at..

No, actually the customers are generally too clueless to recognize what they're doing.

They make great tanks IMO but it's also my opinion they don't stock many tanks properly. No one said every tank they do is wrong and they don't service all the tanks they install all around the country and out of country.

You have a right to your opinion also but you always have to make comments like this "them guys do that as a job and make good money out of it yet you slag them off about certain things yet you probably tank the word of a spotty teenager who works in your local fish shop at weekends". These comments are not in the least bit constructive and are insulting to many people.
user_online.gif

Oh they also said the fish were shimmying because they were showing aggression to the other fish lol

Yes they add silly things like moving cake stands but that's what the people want just like some people on this forum and others want a ship wreck blue gravel plastic plants

We all like different things which makes the hobby great what looks stunning to one person looks total rubbish to another

You say a 40 gal was to small for all them labs well the filtration that was on that 40 gal probably costs more than the average car

You can't say a tank is badly stocked until you know all of the facts as they don't goe that deep into filtration

As for a shark bumping into the decor and die that's a risk you tank taking any wild animal and placing it in captivity some adjust well others don't

And the shark eating fish again that's a risk you take with at predictor tank
What you find with large predators and shoaling fish is one or two may get picked off but the rest of the group learn to stay away

We all make mistakes in this hobby anyone who says they haven't is a dam liar

Have you also not notice tanks always goes to buy fish from a wholesaler so they normally take his advice as they are tank builder

But fish tank kings have there own fish geek Francis so they are fully to blame

Wait for it who's going to slag off fish tank kings now

I will be done after this but taking a white tip or black tip reef shark and putting it into an aquarium. Then saying ill risk letting it ram into things because It is stressing is not responsible fish keeping. Even the guy who got the tank said it was bad what happened, reef builders put a story up about it a little bit ago. And I disagree with fish tank kings stocking as well, I've just seen tanked more.

I caught an episode yesterday (I'm in the UK so I'm behind) where they made a tank in an old television set. It only looked small but contained a mixture of bala sharks, red tipped sharks etc. That will end up in carnage for that poor kid,. :banghead:

I saw that.one. There were rainbow, albino rainbow, red tail, and balla sharks in there. Not to mention guppies.

They need to say on camera that these fish grow much larger and will have to be regimes in a few months. I almost bought three balla sharks for a 29 gallon after seeing that. Lucky I did some research first.

Exactly. I wasnt slagging off the show and saying that they dont know what they are doing, I love the show! My concern is what will happen longer term and also that other people (i.e. my OH) think that it must be OK to stock like that because they are.

If they dont go into details of filtration, then how are people supposed to know?

Tanked is a show based off of Aquariums that they built, not the stocking method. So I will say that their tanks are creative and amazing. I love tanked, but how many people would seriously duplicate a tank shown? with the same stock? If someone wanted to know, they should ask them through the website themselves. I also believe everything has a reason, and most of the clips don't make the show. If people REALLY wanted to know the reason for their stocking, try to find out before making accusations. Nobody likes to kill innocent life. And I think that anyone who wants or has a shark is cruel. I am hawaiian and the shark is my family Amakua. (Guardian angel)

Tanked is a show based off of Aquariums that they built, not the stocking method. So I will say that their tanks are creative and amazing. I love tanked, but how many people would seriously duplicate a tank shown? with the same stock? If someone wanted to know, they should ask them through the website themselves. I also believe everything has a reason, and most of the clips don't make the show. If people REALLY wanted to know the reason for their stocking, try to find out before making accusations. Nobody likes to kill innocent life. And I think that anyone who wants or has a shark is cruel. I am hawaiian and the shark is my family Amakua. (Guardian angel)

How hard is it for them to say that the tank is currently overstocked, and the massive amounts of fish are just for show.

I feel my tank is close to some of the tanks they make without spending lots of $$$$$$

The 20ft shark tank they done on the last episode they done I was very interested to see they was happy to turn the full tank volume over 10 x per hour
It made me feel better for turning mine over 14 x per hour
I know turning over 14,000 gal per hour seams a lot but it's what I feel happy with
They sharks do get big but I do remember them saying on one show that once they get to big they know someone who will swap them out for smaller ones again

Fish in my tank are at risk mainly my giant tinfoil barbs
But fish are at risk be it in the wild or a tank

There filtration systems are very high end be it FW or sw probably double what they need so I would say what looks over stocked to us isn't for the filtration they have

What you also need to take into account is most of the tanks are in public places which need a high volume of fish to keep people interested
If you look at shop tanks that we buy our fish from you could say they are all packed with fish for sale

I'm not saying tanked or fish tank kings are perfect as I have seen Francis on fish tank kings id fish wrong in the past but it is a tv show after all for our entertainment and you know for sure tanked will have a dripping pipe or some kind of problem before the show even starts it would be boring tv if everything went smooth

In the wild fish have a whole ocean/lake/river to swim in and use to protect themselves. They do not have that luxury in captivity. 10 x per hour is not much for a salt tank, the ocean has a pretty intense current and most salt set ups even fowlr strive for 20-30 x per hour at least. I think the tanks they make are really cool but I don't agree with their stocking.

They sharks do get big but I do remember them saying on one show that once they get to big they know someone who will swap them out for smaller ones again

Then what? Do they go to someone with a larger tank? Well, if we're talking about sharks that outgrow a 20 ft tank, good luck finding that hobbyist. Trade them in for smaller ones? Eh, it's not like swapping an Oscar or pleco with your lfs. Zoo or public aquarium? Perhaps, but let's be realistic, there is a finite number of those around. Release into the wild? I certainly hope not, as no captive fish should ever be released into the wild.

The show is just entertainment, sure, but it does raise some ethical questions.

Then what? Do they go to someone with a larger tank? Well, if we're talking about sharks that outgrow a 20 ft tank, good luck finding that hobbyist. Trade them in for smaller ones? Eh, it's not like swapping an Oscar or pleco with your lfs. Zoo or public aquarium? Perhaps, but let's be realistic, there is a finite number of those around. Release into the wild? I certainly hope not, as no captive fish should ever be released into the wild. The show is just entertainment, sure, but it does raise some ethical questions.

I agree, and maybe they do everything right of camera, but it is very misleading to viewers. Then the viewer thinks they can pack several freshwater sharks and guppies into an 8 gallon aquarium. If they contribute to someone's ignorance in a way that makes that viewer abuse animals then they are just as guilty.

In the wild fish have a whole ocean/lake/river to swim in and use to protect themselves. They do not have that luxury in captivity. 10 x per hour is not much for a salt tank, the ocean has a pretty intense current and most salt set ups even fowlr strive for 20-30 x per hour at least. I think the tanks they make are really cool but I don't agree with their stocking.

Then you are stating no fish should be kept in tanks Guppys should never breed as the fry stands a very high chance of getting ate in a tank By slagging off tanked for putting fish in tanks to small you may as well slag off nearly every fish shop as most of the fish sold go to tanks to small I see loads of threads on this forum asking for fish for a 20g in my eyes a 20g is to small for any fish as it's as far from a river or a ocean as you can get

It's very easy to slag someone off like tanked who are not around to defend them selfs

Guppys should never breed as the fry stands a very high chance of getting ate in a tank
As well they would in nature; I don't understand the point of this argument.

By slagging off tanked for putting fish in tanks to small you may as well slag off nearly every fish shop as most of the fish sold go to tanks to small
Caveat emptor- the buyer needs to research the needs of the fish they want prior to purchase. Everyone makes mistakes, but there is a lot to be said for taking responsibility for one's own actions.

I see loads of threads on this forum asking for fish for a 20g in my eyes a 20g is to small for any fish as it's as far from a river or a ocean as you can get
Take a look at some of the smaller species in the genus Microrasbora. 20 gallons is a huge amount of space for some of these fish.

As an aside, many of the fish in the freshwater side of the hobby are farmed/tank raised. Of course, we should still strive to keep these fish as ethically as possible. But farmed FW fish are a far cry from taking a shark from the wild and putting it into an environment which is KNOWN to be inappropriate for housing that animal in the long term.

*edit* moved to AOT as this discussion applies to both fresh and salt water.

Last edited:
Then you are stating no fish should be kept in tanks Guppys should never breed as the fry stands a very high chance of getting ate in a tank By slagging off tanked for putting fish in tanks to small you may as well slag off nearly every fish shop as most of the fish sold go to tanks to small I see loads of threads on this forum asking for fish for a 20g in my eyes a 20g is to small for any fish as it's as far from a river or a ocean as you can get

It's very easy to slag someone off like tanked who are not around to defend them selfs

The point I was making was you are putting a large predator in a confined space with fish it will eat given the chance. Where as in the wild these fish have an ocean. I would not stock prey fish with much larger predators. I'd rather see my fish live in harmony in an appropriately stocked tank. Yes fish stores overstock tanks but those fish sell and are not in those tanks forever. Any fish breeding in a community tank setup will most likely have its fry eaten, but you can't really stop a fish from breeding. Hence why people setup fry raising tanks.

It's just a tv show. I doubt it has done nearly the damage of thousands of tiny goldfish given away at state fairs. I'd like to see them have a bit more education involved, but that's not what they are selling.

I do disagree with the TV aquarium they gave that kid, but who knows what they told him behind the scenes. Maybe they told him he needed to find an old 50" DLP they could shell and rebuild for him :).

Back
Top Bottom