'Tanked' tv show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JourReve08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys! I just caught a few episodes of 'Tanked' on Animal Planet. Just wondering, what do you guys think of it? It looks like they tend to overstock their tanks. But it's a cute show!

Saw one where they were building a tank inside an old car. Made it look like the fish were swimming around in the car. You could see then through the windows. It was pretty cool :)

That show is awesome , I wish they said the prices of how much the tanks cost!!!

I can't even imagine how much those tanks cost! I loved the one they did that was like a headboard so could lay in bed and watch the fish swimming over you. So cool. I also saw them make an 8 gallon tank out of a tv and they put 3 rainbow sharks and several bala shark in there too, plus some guppies and I was like woah slow down. 8 gallons? Way too small for those fish, am I right?

I tried watching it when I first heard about it, but I just can't stand the stupid "reality show" dialogue and the obviously staged antics of the stars. I hate reality tv. Not too fond of the overstocking and poor stocking practices in general, and I have heard that a lot of the tanks failed quickly. It's good for introducing people to the hobby, but I think the way they edit and present it is probably just contributing to people buying tanks and throwing whatever fish they like in there immediately.

I think the shows pretty good.

I liked the show Tank Kings.
Not sure if its still on, but they seemed like they knew what they were doing. They didnt overstock their tanks, and im pretty sure they used live rock some times, and not fake inserts like tanked.

That's one thing I found they always use fake stuff I'd like to see more real reef tanks I understand they use the inserts when the fish aren't reef compatible but when there are reef compatible fish it would be good also if they done a quick brief thing on cycling and stuff like that also they do have really bad reality tv dialogs

I like seeing the strange kinds of tanks they build. But, it seems more lately there is a big part of the show that has nothing to do with the tanks. Now they seem to be having one major problem that will cause them not to get the tank done, and then they miraculously find a replacement or fix the problem and all is well. Living in Vegas I have seen a few of the tanks that they have done here fail within the first year. (phone booth, gumball machine being examples)

I enjoy the show but I really don't like how they stock their tanks. Saltwater should be done slowly which is exactly what they don't do. Also, the tank that bugged me more than anything was their skateboard ramp tank. Completely unnecessary stress on the fish.

That being said, their tanks really are pieces of art and look amazing.. for the most part.

I enjoy the show but I really don't like how they stock their tanks. Saltwater should be done slowly which is exactly what they don't do. Also, the tank that bugged me more than anything was their skateboard ramp tank. Completely unnecessary stress on the fish.

That being said, their tanks really are pieces of art and look amazing.. for the most part.

That one made me cringe, too. Who cares that it won't break, the fish are going to be terrified. I get mad when people tap the glass at the LFS... Also, they didn't seem all that confident that it wouldn't breaking the first place. For all they say about respecting the ocean and not taking corals to keep reefs sustainable, they don't seem to respect the lives of the fish they are dumping into these tanks. They seem to be perpetuating the idea of aquariums as decoration vs fish as pets.

I envy some of the tanks these guys build that arch way into that church was heavenly haha. And the 4 story tank in the middle of that persons house with a rap around stair case OMG!!!

I wish i had the capability to build my own tanks that would be amazing!

I didn't exactly like every tank they have built though some i thought were a bit unpractical. The tank bus i thought would be cool to just have sitting in a store as a show peice but i didn't think it was a good idea that they planned to drive the thing around i don't take my fish "shaken or stirred."

And the tank with the skate board ramp on it i know they said it would never break but seriously did they have to build that? I bet the fishies don't like it it would be so loud to them.

I would like to see them build more freshwater tanks and maybe some ponds!

I just remembered the refrigerator tank i didn't like that one much either i thought it lacked alot of viewing space and i hated that they didn't put any sand or gravel in it or anywhere for the fish to hide and they were cichlids too!

But i give them credit for making that idea work but i still feel like sometimes they could think less about how it is going to look and more about how the fish are going to like it.

I didn't like the skateboard ramp tank either... They do make nice tanks, but you're right... They probably could care less about the fish themselves.... Other than they are expensive and look nice...

Good show, wish they did more fresh water tanks. And even then I wish they used New world cichlids as to old world which is the only fw fish I seem them used.

This and river monsters are on my "fish nerd" dvr.

This has been discussed on a few different threads before. I am just going to add that the guys from Tanked have zero say in how the show is edited. So, a lot of the edited and presentation is done by people who do not know about fish tanks. The guys in charge of the company have said that waaayyyy more goes on that the viewer is unaware of. Also, the tanks are not always left with the stock that is shown in them. Some of that is just for production. So, I have enjoyed the show just fine, but keep in mind that the producers are making entertainment, not a fish tank documentary. So, don't blame the ATM guys too much for it. They actually seem to run to very good business judging from what I have researched independently from that show.

Although I guess looking at it from a business standpoint, it's really up to the customer to provide a good environment for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom