Tanked TV Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewToFish1989

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone watch this?

I love the tanks they do but I always wonder, do these guys even cycle their tanks or even tanks they do for others? I notice they heavily over stock and saw in one episode them using bacteria in a bottle so are these guys really that knowledgeable if they using products that don't even work? XD and was even adverting this useless product on behalf of petco :ermm:

Even my mother made a comment "Bet they don't show you the dead fish they have to fish out in a day or so"

Does anyone watch this?

I love the tanks they do but I always wonder, do these guys even cycle their tanks or even tanks they do for others? I notice they heavily over stock and saw in one episode them using bacteria in a bottle so are these guys really that knowledgeable if they using products that don't even work? XD and was even adverting this useless product on behalf of petco :ermm:

Even my mother made a comment "Bet they don't show you the dead fish they have to fish out in a day or so"

There are countless debates going on over the show.

Tanked in fact does have a "Bacteria in a bottle" product that they do use. It's not to say that these products do work, because there are some that do, but even using them the way the show does is improper.

Now, from what I've seen firsthand from visiting tanks they have done (A wine store tank in Albany, NY. And a few tanks at Tradewinds resort in nearby St. Petersburg) they put all those fish in their purely for the sale of filming. After which they are removed and the tank is cycled with the method of the customers choosing. (Soft or Hard)
Signs can be found around the tank telling you what is happening with the tanks. Here are a few on the "Allstar Wines" tank in Albany:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402438812.919862.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402438820.562935.jpg

A full review of the tank in NY can be found in my build thread on page 2, post 55. The thread can be found in my signature, or in the "Members tank showcase" section of Saltwater and Reef. The thread is titled: "Macscale's 55G Reef Upgraded."

There is another show featured on National Geographic "Wild" titled "Fish Tank Kings". In several episodes it is very clear that they build the tank, and then return at a later time and start stocking. By most peoples standards this would mean the tank was cycled "properly". However, they are stocking too fast, thus being an opportunity for creating even deadly levels of Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. For all we know, this could be another way that Tanked in fact cycled their tanks.

Yeah, editing is a wonderful thing.
There are often week/months long gaps during projects that are not made apparent in the show. Plus they are only going to air the most dramatic/crazy/celebrity type set-ups anyway.

Back
Top Bottom