Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank's beauty

what do you guys think?
a tank is more beautiful if it's nice planted and has a good water color (transparent ... ) or is it when the life in it is booming (specially the fish)

because (not to be a jerk) but I've seen a couple of tanks on the forum that have driftwood, plants and all that ... but almost no fish
To be VERY honest i find it's crappish when you buy an AQUARIUM and you only put plants in it
now ... i do not want to emotionally harm any of you here, but i would love to have your opinions at the same time

Old 05-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Beauty in my eyes is to recreate a specific ecosystem. I am unsure of how anyone could improve upon what Mother Nature already offers...

Old 05-29-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I love a planted tank with fish zipping around, which may be evident with my 135 gal tank.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with the two above posts. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'll give you an example. I look at a lot of FW aquascaping, the posters have a beautiful scapes. I love the themes and whether it is heavily planted with a few fish, I look at the plants and the way it is set up and am like, "WOW"! I come from the SW side and live rock is not always pretty, at least to folks who are unfamiliar with it, but can look at it and see all the other things that are growing on it an how the setup is "almost" perfect and again say, "WOW"! I do agree some set ups aren't that great, but if you watch and care is taken, the original tank can take on a life of it's own.
Remember, some thing take time and I find myself aquascaping my tanks to "mimic" or "invent" my own idea of what I like.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The worst thing I have ever seen is a tank with nothing but fish in it, just a box of water dosn't make a aquarium in my opinion, I know thats not what you ment but the decorartion can add a lot to the tank. My tank is heavly planted and althogh I do have a lot of fish in it you carn't see them all a once cos they can hide which makes it much more intresting to watch ( although dose make doing a reaguar head count hard)
Old 05-31-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to RJRofFL
I think there should be an adequate amount of both. Personally, I don't think the fish actually care what kind of decor they have, as they will search out their own space.

IMO, I do feel that there should always be a place for every fish inhabitant, albeit, a rock, cave, plant, sunroom, beer can or used Volvo. Somewhere they can go to call their own. I liken it to the great "American Fish Dream."

JMO.

Bob R
Old 05-31-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Any well thought out tank is eye candy. I have a blackwater tank that is probably one of the nicest tanks I have ever owned. Lighting is somewhat diminished due to the tanins in the water, but it is a looker. I also have a Rift Lake tank that is void of green, just as pleasing to the eye. Biotopic tanks, in my opinion, cannot be rivaled, whether it be all rockwork, blackwater or heavily planted, iwagumi style. It's all eye candy.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

i must veto on the heavily planted.
you create an aquarium to have fish in it... when fish are no longer see-able ... better forget the aquarium, create a garden or so better
Old 05-31-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticX View Post
i must veto on the heavily planted.
you create an aquarium to have fish in it... when fish are no longer see-able ... better forget the aquarium, create a garden or so better
It really depends on your fish stock as to whether you see them in a "heavily" planted aquarium. Some fish are just naturally shy, while others beg for attention. Also...when you don't see enough of your fish and it bothers you,its time to whip out the snips and do some trimming. I have a moderately-heavy planted 29g tank, and I love seeing the fish disappear into the background and reappear somewhere else as if they were playing hide and seek.

Just my .02

For example, I love Rich311k's 36 gallon tank. I'd call it heavily planted. Just in this photo I can see his three angels, a few raspboras, some pristella tetras, and an albino cory.

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree with Black Hills. I love the ecosystem approach, using plants and various types of animals, I like to have there be motion in the tank at all times, and a variety of colors and shapes to mix up the picture. I think the fish should be able to hide if they want to, but feel comfortable enough to come out often. The plants are a soft backdrop to the colors of the fish, and really add to the whole environment of a tank. Not to mention the added exitement of watching the plants grow in an underwater garden at the same time.

CatatonicBug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com