Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post

It started in China, because (from my understanding) it made them prettier or something, but people liked them better. They'll tattoo stars, hearts, flowers, etc.
I don't know how they tattoo but I do know they use it without any pain killers or tranquilizers.
That is horrible! I just googled it. They do it a few different ways. Injecting the dye with needles, dipping them in caustic liquid that dissolves their slime coats then dip in dye, dyed food, lasers. Fish are pretty enough without stupid enhancements like this.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:51 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post

That is horrible! I just googled it. They do it a few different ways. Injecting the dye with needles, dipping them in caustic liquid that dissolves their slime coats then dip in dye, dyed food, lasers. Fish are pretty enough without stupid enhancements like this.
Agreed its cruel. So now we need to refuse to buy those fish maybe even from those stores. Telling the owners would also be useful IMO.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:12 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I am going to write an email to the chain store that sells the fish.. It's a fairly large chain here in michigan
Old 04-17-2013, 02:24 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see these poor things at Pet Supplies Plus all the time, its horrible.

But, just correcting a previous comment. They do infact use clove oil (or something similar) to knock the fish out for this process. Not really for the benifit of the fish but because they won't flail around while out in the air....but atleast they are put to sleep while it's being done.

I do 100% agree that it is a horribly cruel thing to do though. I'm sure they do it because they appeal more to kids this way, and can have higher price tags too. The only time I've ever seen them being purchased is when a 8 year old want some because they have hearts and "love" and crap written on them.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:14 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks for the correction. Either way it is horrible.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:22 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Around Easter and valentines, most pet stores sell dyed parrot cichlids and dyed glass fish.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just when I thought people couldn't be any more stupid... I'm stumbling upon this! Omg! Human race has always been hungry for "the show". Looking back in history even in Roman Empire they were able to keep the mob quiet by giving them bread and Collosseum shows. Unfortunately there will always be a market for things like that. That is why it is important to raise awareness bcs many good people out there don't even know this is happening

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com