Tattooed fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Saw these fish at a pet store today. This is... just wow

tattooedfish.jpg

That's awful really don't understand why they need to tattoo fish is their own beauty not enough?

Some fish just make bad life decisions

First they start hanging out with the wrong school. Then it leads to a life of bullying other fish and stealing their lunch. Then comes the gang tattoos

yeah that sucks as the tattoed fish will not live as long as they should, but then again most fish dont in this hobby unfortunately

That's a certainty. Most people don't care about fish and look at them as more of a decoration than a pet. At that same store I overheard a couple talking about buying a large gourami to put in the tank with some very large oscars they had. They knew he most likely wouldn't survive but bought him anyhow because he looked neat.

They are tattooing fish? How? And why?

It started in China, because (from my understanding) it made them prettier or something, but people liked them better. They'll tattoo stars, hearts, flowers, etc.
I don't know how they tattoo but I do know they use it without any pain killers or tranquilizers.

First they start hanging out with the wrong school. Then it leads to a life of bullying other fish and stealing their lunch. Then comes the gang tattoos

That's hilarious...

But seriously, it's terrible that people feel the need to do this, or to buy these fish. Not to mention that some stores feel the need to cover up how cruel the practice is. I've heard workers at LFSs calling them "painted" fish, like it was just brushed onto their side... I can't decide which is worse, the dyed and tattooed fish or the fish and turtle keychains that have been sold in China.

It started in China, because (from my understanding) it made them prettier or something, but people liked them better. They'll tattoo stars, hearts, flowers, etc.
I don't know how they tattoo but I do know they use it without any pain killers or tranquilizers.

That is horrible! I just googled it. They do it a few different ways. Injecting the dye with needles, dipping them in caustic liquid that dissolves their slime coats then dip in dye, dyed food, lasers. Fish are pretty enough without stupid enhancements like this.

That is horrible! I just googled it. They do it a few different ways. Injecting the dye with needles, dipping them in caustic liquid that dissolves their slime coats then dip in dye, dyed food, lasers. Fish are pretty enough without stupid enhancements like this.

Agreed its cruel. So now we need to refuse to buy those fish maybe even from those stores. Telling the owners would also be useful IMO.

I am going to write an email to the chain store that sells the fish.. It's a fairly large chain here in michigan

I see these poor things at Pet Supplies Plus all the time, its horrible.

But, just correcting a previous comment. They do infact use clove oil (or something similar) to knock the fish out for this process. Not really for the benifit of the fish but because they won't flail around while out in the air....but atleast they are put to sleep while it's being done.

I do 100% agree that it is a horribly cruel thing to do though. I'm sure they do it because they appeal more to kids this way, and can have higher price tags too. The only time I've ever seen them being purchased is when a 8 year old want some because they have hearts and "love" and crap written on them.

Around Easter and valentines, most pet stores sell dyed parrot cichlids and dyed glass fish.

Just when I thought people couldn't be any more stupid... I'm stumbling upon this! Omg! Human race has always been hungry for "the show". Looking back in history even in Roman Empire they were able to keep the mob quiet by giving them bread and Collosseum shows. Unfortunately there will always be a market for things like that. That is why it is important to raise awareness bcs many good people out there don't even know this is happening

Back
Top Bottom