Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Television tank

As any one ever made an old tv into a fish tank?
My husband and I have decided to make a fish tank out of an old tv. Pictures would be great if you've made one!

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've thought of something like that but never got around to it :/
An old classic tv would look awesome
Or a 65" lol

Old 02-16-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Yeah we are thinking an old veneered one that would be so sweet!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two
Yeah we are thinking an old veneered one that would be so sweet!
Hey mumma, check on YouTube " Dustins fish tanks" his friend made one and I think he featured it in one of his videos. It's a really old tv and I believe it's planted. I also think it was one of his earlier videos( he has about 550 vids now total) try typing in " dustins fish tanks old tv fish tank" hope this helps!!
Old 02-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.b

Hey mumma, check on YouTube " Dustins fish tanks" his friend made one and I think he featured it in one of his videos. It's a really old tv and I believe it's planted. I also think it was one of his earlier videos( he has about 550 vids now total) try typing in " dustins fish tanks old tv fish tank" hope this helps!!
I just found it. It's pretty sweet! So excited now!! This is the closest hubby as come to being interested in fish keeping. now we gotta find a nice old school tv.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Post it for us lazy people
Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh mumma..9th!!! Lol! I am like the devil on your shoulder here!

This tank will be sooo sweet. Hey, why dont you try saltwater for this one?? This is DEFINITLY the time to do it, and you totally have the experience!!

I need 5 good reasons why not!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've seen this done, and it's VERY cool, especially if you can find the right size bow-front so it looks like an old tube TV screen sticking out!! One thing you will want to do after you gut out the TV components is to remove the top of the cabinet and put a 2x4 cross-brace across the back.... this strengthens the back of the cabinet & gives you something to mount hinges to so you can lift the top of your "TV" for very easy access to the tank. Also, heat might become an issue within the enclosure, so you may need a small ventilation fan in there to come on with the lights.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66
Oh mumma..9th!!! Lol! I am like the devil on your shoulder here!

This tank will be sooo sweet. Hey, why dont you try saltwater for this one?? This is DEFINITLY the time to do it, and you totally have the experience!!

I need 5 good reasons why not!
Hehehehe! I even said to him that we could try and find a tv that will fit an existing tank but he said we should buy another or even try and make one :/
Not too sure about salt water. Definitely one day! Probably after we are settled and have our own house. We are renting at the moment so will have to move eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque
I've seen this done, and it's VERY cool, especially if you can find the right size bow-front so it looks like an old tube TV screen sticking out!! One thing you will want to do after you gut out the TV components is to remove the top of the cabinet and put a 2x4 cross-brace across the back.... this strengthens the back of the cabinet & gives you something to mount hinges to so you can lift the top of your "TV" for very easy access to the tank. Also, heat might become an issue within the enclosure, so you may need a small ventilation fan in there to come on with the lights.
Great idea with the bow front!!
I read about bracing the top and bottom on the inside to support the weight of the tank.
Another great idea with the fan also! Thanks!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com