Tell us about your aquarium oopsies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pollex.jaypee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, beginner aquarium keepers or experts, let's admit it - we all had that regrettable mistake in one point in our lives.
Let's all be curious and admit our past mistakes. I guess what's important is we do something about it :)
Besides, this could also help other aquarist so they could avoid the mistake :D

So uhm, I guess I'll start?
Well...
6 years ago, I had my first aquarium (20 gallon). And I stocked it with:
2 goldfish (very wrong, great poopers need greater tanks)
1 common pleco (uhm, admit it, you once did too!)
2 pangasius cat (too large long-term for that tank)
2 red swordtails (nipped the goldfish in its entire life)

And, unplanted but placed in direct sunlight. So (wait for it) algae bloom! (the LFS told me to place it there so the goldfish would retain its color)

It was murder.forgive me.:hide:

Now, it is happily stocked with danios and ghost shrimps :D

So uhm, how about you?

I have a 50gal with a 12" spotted pleco and 4 common goldfish 3" to 7" at this moment. I only have a plex paxx 400 and a Whisper Flow 20 for filtration. It's new and needs constant water changes. Too cloudy help!!!

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My aquarium has been running for 6 weeks and it's still cloudy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Had 2 gold fish I won at a carnival, three guppies, four mollies, two red tailed sharks, and a common pleco in a ten gallon tank. Uncycled, no heater and in front of my window as well. Didnt use any type of water conditioners and def cleaned the tank, decorations, gravel, and filter with dish soap and bleach. It was a rough few days!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What's in your tank

You've been running it 6 weeks and still cloudy? What kind of fish and filtration do you have? I need a test kit, and maybe you need one too.:banghead:

I have 2 emperor 400 and a wet dry, tested my water and everything is perfect except for the cloudiness

Recently: I used an old heater without testing it first. Almost cooked my fish.
Didn't pay attention while siphoning my tank during a WC and sucked up and killed my favorite betta girl :( :( :(

In the Beginning: Didn't cycle my tank, only cleaned it once a month.
Had cold water fish in with tropical fish.
Changed my filters (gasp!)
cleaned the bio media with tap water (gasp!)
got a pleco and thought it would survive off of flake food leftovers (it didn't) in a ten gallon
put a feeder goldfish(1,2,3,4... they just kept dying and I kept replacing them!) in a 1.5 gallon (ugh poor things)

How do I post a pic on my profile?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 50gal with a 12" spotted pleco and 4 common goldfish 3" to 7" at this moment. I only have a plex paxx 400 and a Whisper Flow 20 for filtration. It's new and needs constant water changes. Too cloudy help!!!

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

WOwie IMO that is overstocked. 50 gallons is minimum for the goldfish alone, add a 12" poop machine pleco and I think you are going to have a hard time, and so will your fish. Get another tank for your fishey friends!(y)

Recently: I used an old heater without testing it first. Almost cooked my fish.
Didn't pay attention while siphoning my tank during a WC and sucked up and killed my favorite betta girl :( :( :(

In the Beginning: Didn't cycle my tank, only cleaned it once a month.
Had cold water fish in with tropical fish.
Changed my filters (gasp!)
cleaned the bio media with tap water (gasp!)
got a pleco and thought it would survive off of flake food leftovers (it didn't) in a ten gallon
put a feeder goldfish(1,2,3,4... they just kept dying and I kept replacing them!) in a 1.5 gallon (ugh poor things)

Oh my!I remember those times that I don't cycle my tank before putting fish :banghead:

I use to take everything out and scrub it like once a month and changed filter media and cleaned the gravel. Ya thongs didn't last long on that tank

Back
Top Bottom