Termite Spraying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i3k

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So all the units are scheduled for termite spraying starting Monday. I have 3 aquariums in the house. What can I do to protect my fish? Taking them out of the aquariums is out of the question. I have 3 huge columbian sharks that I would have no where to put. All the rooms, garage, closets are getting sprayed, so I wouldn't have a place to put them anywhere anyways.

So what can I cover my tanks with that will protect them from the chemicals.

cover any possiable opening with plastic bags tape em down real well mabye do two plastic bag coverings then throw a nice big heavy blanket on top and tape it down

The problem is...the termite tech can come any where from 9am to 4pm...so I would have to do this at 9am. Won't covering up my aquarium with bags and blankets create a problem with the heat and no air circulation(no gas exchange)?

what size tank do you have most tanks will be fine for a few hours best thing to do is buy a battery powerd air pump and stone and throw it in tank under blankets. as for heat the blankets should keep it in

I had to use a flea bomb (well, several) in my old apartment because our dog got them (learned my lesson about living in apartments). I just duct taped plastic over all the tanks for the night. Any opening that would let in air was taped up. I had no issues. I would highly suggest arranging a set time for them to spray yours. Preferrably early in the morning so that by afternoon after everything has aired out, you can go ahead and remove the plastic. I'm sure they'd be willing to work with you, especially if you are really nice about it.

Yea I'll give them a call and see if they can come out early in the morning.

I would be a bit worried about using an airpump if they are spraying around your house. When my apartment was sprayed for bugs I sealed the tank with a few layers of tape then chucked a tarp over it, left it on for a few hours after the guy left and all was good.

Btw my tank is planted so i do not run an airpump at all

Back
Top Bottom