Terrarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleNami

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I've been naughty again. The whole idea of raising something and growing plants is really an itching bug for me now. Today at work, while I was watering plants (I work at a gardening and landscaping family run business) I kept running into toads. They were freaking everywhere!

So the bug bit me again, and I caught one of these little guys. Just your standard common Minnesota toad, nothing special. He's less than the size of a dime when sitting, although I know he will get huge if he lives his full life out. But yeah, couldn't resist, had to create a makeshift terrarium for him.

Its one of my mother's old glass vases she used for bettas when she had a huge obsession over them, I'd say about over a gallon, maybe 2. Filled it about 1/4 with regular unfertilized soil, placed in some weeds from our garden, just violets, and a maple tree sapling, plus some bark strips placed along the wall to create a nice little dark spot and a relatively flat rock. Also put in some random moss stripped from our big old maple, source of the sapling ^^ Watered the soil up well, also got the bark wet so it wouldn't do damage to the soft skin of the toad.

Plan on feeding him moist tubifex worm cubes broken up and chopped up earthworms until he is big enough to move him into a proper terrarium and can feed him crickets and such, if he lives through this trauma.

Yeah....I can't help myself :roll: So if anyone wants to chide me over this childish behavior, by all means do so, but if anyone has ever raised a toad, please chide in ^^ Sometimes you have to do childish things like this to feel alive again, kind of like raising fish.... :D

sounds like a good idea little nami. i am sure u will have a happy little frog in your hands. i would love to see a picture of it. i have wanted to doa terrium for a while now. mts in any form is a beautiful thing lol

Yeah, I've been itching actually to start a paludarium, those half water and half terrarium setups, but I don't yet have the money for one -_- My little guy today was actually sitting on a stalk of anacharis I absentmindedly placed in there. It was adorable, and he didn't get spooked and run around the vase when I placed the pieces of tbuifex cube in there either.

In the future, when he gets older and closer to the regular size of our local toads, I will let him go. Hopefully by then I can afford to set up a paludarium and get another local small toad or something nice at the lfs, maybe even a snake as I have been really wanting to get for years now ^^

You may have some difficulty getting him to see anything that isn't moving as food, but the rest sounds good (although a layer of carbon on the bottom of the terrarium can keep the soil from going sour).

Yeah, I'm starting to realize that issue today when I came home from work. I think I might have to do my cut up earthworm idea instead, since that would wiggle around enough that it might interest him. Otherwise if he doesn't show interest, I'm letting him go. No use harming the little guy over my obsessions. Besides, I can always get a nice paludarium and snake for it later on ^^

LittleNami said:
Besides, I can always get a nice paludarium and snake for it later on ^^

Better have an excellent fitration system....any snake in a paludarium is going to be relieving itself in the water.

Definately, I only want the best for any creature I plan on trying to raise up. I actually have a really good idea for the paludarium now in fact. I want to create a SE Minnesota biotype for it, the left side being the bank and into the lake, the right side being cattails and other local flora. I plan to have a Milksnake rather than opting for the more exotic boas or pythons.

As for my toad friend, I released him today. I tried catching gnats and such for him, but in the end I felt bad to be holding a wild creature captive like that. For my fish and the future snake, they would be captive bred and raised, so they would be a bit easier to handle and such, btu a wild creature is not in the same position and I felt it cruel to hold him like that, so I let him go beneath the hostas.

Minnesota! Woo!......oh wait, I forgot, I want out of here -_- Lol, is that why your location says Florida now vsnsofadrgn? ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom