Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Big, Huge, AA meeting/party/fragfest? (Freek & RR69?

What would all of you guys think about having a big humongo-AA meeting/party somewhere in the USA sometime this year or next year?

Almost everyone takes vacations... maybe many of us could plan this year's or next year's vacation to meet at a hotel, reserve a ballroom for an evening or two, and just hang out the rest of the time.

It would be a full blown fly-or-drive-in vacation for most and would require some saving and planning too but I for one think it would be a monumental experience. Not to mention a heck of a party. LOL!

If we're all going to take a vacation within the next year or so, why not meet up with our friends from AA!

Just a thought... but just think if we got the ball rolling 8O ...... plane tickets get pretty cheap when you book way in advance!!

Of course this would be subject to FishFreek/Reefrunner69 approval.

Old 04-22-2004, 02:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't mind getting to know fellow AA members. There could also be smaller regional meetings, like what BrianNY did last month.
Anyone in the Clagary area is more than welcome to come over for tea and home made baked goods

Old 04-22-2004, 02:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oh and if people in the NY/Long Island area are getting together in May or July, let me know, because I will be around parts of those months while planning my wedding.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just my thoughts:

Small regional get-togethers are probably the best way to go. Large ones like you're mentioning are so hard to plan and so expensive its not really worth it. A club I used to belong to held a big "convention" (for lack of a better word). It took about 8 months of planning. Our club had to reserve a set amount of rooms at a hotel so everyone would be near each other (the hotel management didn't want people roaming the halls) and the club had to agree to pay for any rooms not reserved by the cutoff date (about a month before the event). They also rented a ballroom big enough for about 50-60 tables so people could set stuff up and buy-sell-trade. The hotel gave us a slight discount since it was in conjunction with the "convention", otherwise it would have cost $10,000 for the ballroom alone!! 8O

Isn't there a national conference in Chicago every year for cichlids or something? Making name tags and plannng a meeting at an event like that is a much better way to go IMHO.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:45 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
I'm in!

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:10 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I was already thinking of something here at my house in late summer. NOthing grand just a cookout/gathering for the weekend.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the "lets met at a convention" idea, it just happens that a few major conventions happen in Chicago which is pretty close to me.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menagerie
tea and home made baked goods
YUM!

8 Gallon hex - 3 F1 Black Brichardi and fry..("Lamprologus sp. Walter")

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Old 04-22-2004, 05:27 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Anytime Moose!
Seriously Calgarians--It would be great to get together with everyone. I will post in the Canada forum too.

Old 04-22-2004, 07:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

are there no kids allowed

i really want to meet some people on this site i go to mass and vermont and florida and nm every year so i can meet there

Closed Thread

Tags
frag

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com