The "by-product" of diy co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeathB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm putting this in here since this inquiry doesn't have much (I think) to do with the actual aquarium part. The process used for diy CO2 produces alcohol and gasses the co2 into the tank. I was wondering if anyone knew if this alcohol was safe to ...drink:drinking:or could further be refined to such a purpose. It seems a horrible waste to just chuck the stuff out. XD

yea i dont think how we do is safe. i know people who do brew their own stuff and uses the co2 from it in their tanks.

Technically, you could distill it, then you'd have ethanol, which you COULD drink. Not sure if you'd want to though.

I've heard of people making alcohol just using sugar, yeast, and water in a gallon milk jug with a balloon and thought the processes didn't sound all that different.

Corrado33: I don't have the cajones to try distilling something. Besides, I'm pretty sure moonshine is still illegal. XD

Corrado33: I don't have the cajones to try distilling something. Besides, I'm pretty sure moonshine is still illegal. XD

I was just noting that it COULD be done, not that it SHOULD be. And moonshine is still made today (illegally). I saw it on history channel the other day. (How can they make a documentary on something that's illegal to do?, like that show on MTV about addicts? Don't they get in trouble?) Apparently some bars sell it (don't ask me how) and it's called white lightning. It's only about a hundred and ten proof or something. I though moonshine was 200 proof, but I guess not.

I was just noting that it COULD be done, not that it SHOULD be. And moonshine is still made today (illegally). I saw it on history channel the other day. (How can they make a documentary on something that's illegal to do?, like that show on MTV about addicts? Don't they get in trouble?) Apparently some bars sell it (don't ask me how) and it's called white lightning. It's only about a hundred and ten proof or something. I though moonshine was 200 proof, but I guess not.

I think white lightning is just another nickname for it. Thanks wikipedia, lol.

I'm not even sure about the possibility of distilling 200 proof (100%) alcohol, or who would be off their rocker enough to try it. I've had a shot of Everclear before, and NEVER again.

people make moonshine around here all the time. they sell it in quart jars for $5 each, and for $1 more, you can get flavored (strawberry, peach, grape). The sugar, yeast, and water in a balloon is similar to the way they make 'white lightening' in prison (thanks msnbc for showing that on 'lockdown'). I dont think I'd drink the diy co2 by-product, I'll stick with sweet tea or mt dew :)

people make moonshine around here all the time. they sell it in quart jars for $5 each, and for $1 more, you can get flavored (strawberry, peach, grape). The sugar, yeast, and water in a balloon is similar to the way they make 'white lightening' in prison (thanks msnbc for showing that on 'lockdown'). I dont think I'd drink the diy co2 by-product, I'll stick with sweet tea or mt dew :)

Hahaha, that first part sounds like an advertisement. Half a day's drive for some $5 swill...I think I'll stick with the mt dew too...for now!;)

I like apple, although I pay $30 a half gallon. Pineapple is good too.

Word of caution if your in these parts and someone offers you a drink from a gallon jug and tells you it taste like apple pie, peaches, blackberry, ect, ect, ect....just say no or just drink one..lol

Word of caution if your in these parts and someone offers you a drink from a gallon jug and tells you it taste like apple pie, peaches, blackberry, ect, ect, ect....just say no or just drink one..lol

Especially if its brown and has little X's hashed in the side of it. (y)

Haha good times! I go down to salem, va alot to visit family and well, yea...

Hoo boy. Its foul stuff. Smells and tastes like vinegar, with a sugary aftertaste. I imagine it might actually work if used with some kind of fruit syrup. Don't try this at home, kids!

Tastes? Did you really taste it omg your a nut...lol

I gave in to temptation for the sake of science and the rest of you guys. Now unless you like the taste of vinegar, you know to stay away from the stuff. You're welcome! ;)

I gave in to temptation for the sake of science and the rest of you guys. Now unless you like the taste of vinegar, you know to stay away from the stuff. You're welcome! ;)

How long was your fermentation? I know when I sit out my unpasterized apple cider if I let it take too long it turns to apple vinegar. Might be something to that...hmm

I think the closest to alcohol you MIGHT get is a type of wine.

The main difference between brewer's yeast and baker's yeast is that brewer's yeast has been bred to survive a higher alcohol content. That lets wine makers work with natural fruit juices that have a high concentration of sugar and get a higher concentration of alcohol before the yeast die of alcohol poisoning. If you're going to make your own sugar solution to grow the yeast in, though, you can just make the sugar solution's strength match what the yeast can convert before they die. It all comes out even with no waste

Alcoholic beverages all start with yeast and with sugar for the yeast to eat. The sugar for wine usually comes from grapes (although other fruits are used, especially for homemade wine). The sugar for beer usually comes from malted barley (although other grains are also used). The sugar for commercially produced spirits can come from almost anything--corn for bourbon, barley for scotch, rye for rye, sugar cane for rum, and so on. For moonshine what you want is the cheapest sugar you can find....I can go on but moonshine isnt for everyone.

How long was your fermentation? I know when I sit out my unpasterized apple cider if I let it take too long it turns to apple vinegar. Might be something to that...hmm

I think the closest to alcohol you MIGHT get is a type of wine.

The main difference between brewer's yeast and baker's yeast is that brewer's yeast has been bred to survive a higher alcohol content. That lets wine makers work with natural fruit juices that have a high concentration of sugar and get a higher concentration of alcohol before the yeast die of alcohol poisoning. If you're going to make your own sugar solution to grow the yeast in, though, you can just make the sugar solution's strength match what the yeast can convert before they die. It all comes out even with no waste

Alcoholic beverages all start with yeast and with sugar for the yeast to eat. The sugar for wine usually comes from grapes (although other fruits are used, especially for homemade wine). The sugar for beer usually comes from malted barley (although other grains are also used). The sugar for commercially produced spirits can come from almost anything--corn for bourbon, barley for scotch, rye for rye, sugar cane for rum, and so on. For moonshine what you want is the cheapest sugar you can find....I can go on but moonshine isnt for everyone.

Let's have a big hand for Mr. Wizard everybody. Hehe. But yeah, I have even heard of people opting for the brewer's yeast for their co2 because it lasts longer. I heard of some dude even using jello, which I don't get, but hey, whatever works. Sounds like it takes more time to prep, and the brew yeast one, I think I heard the yeast takes longer to activate itself.

Back
Top Bottom