Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hholly View Post
Go on Aquabid.com and look at the discus. You will be inspired. Just don't look at there prices though. Clown loaches have fall colors. Honey gouramis, pearl gouramis, whiteclouds. I'm so jealous of your huge tank!
Discus here locally are $30 each. Cheaper than Denisonni Barbs (a fish I love) I think white clouds are adorable! They do best at cooler temps unfortunately. Honey gouramis are very beautiful...do you know if they are the same as marigold gouramis? The LFS has some Marigolds that I think are stunning.

Would Discus and Honey gouramis do good together? I'm not sure about gourami water parameters.

Thank you!

Old 01-23-2012, 03:46 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay...so I'm thinking if I went with big fish I'd go with Discus, White Angelfish, Marble Hatchet fish (they are compatible right?)...what would be a good bottom schooling fish that would offer some color, but not be gobbled up by the angels? Clown Loaches are awesome, but get too big for my liking. Love rummynose, but of course they'd get eaten and they need lower water temperature. (I already have some of them too ) We have 5 kuhli loaches in another tank, and I don't want to have tanks with the same fish. Would the Cuckoo (Synodontis Multipunctactus) be compatible with these fish? I think I remember they require a higher ph and maybe not such high temps?? They are not colorful but are quite striking with white bodies covered in spots! I need to get back to the drawing board and do more fish research LOL! I have 4 notebooks filled with fish species and tank set ups and oh my goodness! The list goes on and on! I'm still unsure what to put in my tank Ha Ha! I love TOO many fish!

If I went with smaller fish, Gold and Pearl colored Gouramis, Marbled Hatchet fish...what else?

I also like some rainbows and some tetras. Boy! This is fun! I love getting your thoughts! Thank you everyone!!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never had an angel or discus eat another fish. I've had neon tetras and lemon tetras in there and none of them got eaten. But idk every fish is different.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish

Discus here locally are $30 each. Cheaper than Denisonni Barbs (a fish I love) I think white clouds are adorable! They do best at cooler temps unfortunately. Honey gouramis are very beautiful...do you know if they are the same as marigold gouramis? The LFS has some Marigolds that I think are stunning.

Would Discus and Honey gouramis do good together? I'm not sure about gourami water parameters.

Thank you!
I didn't know white clouds needed cooler temps. I keep mine at 78-80 and they seem fine.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I keep my discus tank at 85.5
Old 01-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hholly View Post
I didn't know white clouds needed cooler temps. I keep mine at 78-80 and they seem fine.
Awhile back I was doing a search for compatibles for goldfish, and white cloud minnows were on the VERY tiny list with a side note that when the goldfish got big enough to eat them, the white clouds would have to be moved LOL! The only reason they said they would be compatible was due to the cool water temperature needs.
How long have you had them at that temperature? I am far, FAR from being an expert, but I did read many times over that if fish are kept at temperatures that are lower or higher than they prefer, their lives are significantly shortened, and also that they will be stressed and could cause breakouts of disease more often.
I think it's okay to share links with eachother...I hope so! Here are a couple sources I found about White Cloud Mountain Minnows.
Fish Care: White Cloud Mountain Minnows
I came across a thread discussing White Clouds in 80 degrees...I am not sure if I am aloud to share links to other forums here?? If so, let me know and I will get the link to you. It was a gould discussion.
A site I use most often is
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile...bonubes&id=107
Old 01-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytertot View Post
I keep my discus tank at 85.5
Discus, from what I've read do best at this temparature. White Clouds with Discus would be soooo very beautiful, but White Clouds do best between 60 - 72°F, again from what I've read.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytertot View Post
I've never had an angel or discus eat another fish. I've had neon tetras and lemon tetras in there and none of them got eaten. But idk every fish is different.

I wonder is that perhaps due to them growing up together? My Mom kept Bala Sharks with neons and other tiny fish and the Balas never touched them! Even as the neons were replaced after dieing from old age, the newbies were never eaten.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I wonder is that perhaps due to them growing up together? My Mom kept Bala Sharks with neons and other tiny fish and the Balas never touched them! Even as the neons were replaced after dieing from old age, the newbies were never eaten.
Well, they sorta did, I mean we had angels way before we had discus but we introduced them in groups
Old 01-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Discus, from what I've read do best at this temparature. White Clouds with Discus would be soooo very beautiful, but White Clouds do best between 60 - 72°F, again from what I've read.
Wow, all the sources I read before I got them said 72-76, I guess I do have them a little too hot since I did the heat treatment during an ich outbreak I never turned it down that much. They seem happy but I guess I'll dial it back a little. At the LFS I always see them in the tropical tank area. Never knew they were considered "cold water" fish.

Tags
180 gallon, colorful fish, colors, community tank, freshwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com