The Colors of the Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovin Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! I am so excited to share my husband bought me a used 6' long 180 gallon tank! WOO-HOO! :ROFLMAO:
So! Now I get to choose fish again! I love this part! I was thinking about my favorite things in life, and one of them is fall colors! So, I thought it would be impressive to have a fall color theme going on in my tank :D I imagine leaving the green up to the plants and saving the "fall colors" for the fish. Than adding in one bright contrast such as white!
I would love to invite any of you interested to throw as many fish suggestions as you can my way! I hope you all will have as much fun with this as I am!

The colors I am looking for are bright yellows, golds, orange, reds, browns and then compliment them all with a bold white fish species. My inspiration for this idea is this; watching a documentary about migrating birds, I saw the most beautiful sight! A flock of white birds fying above leave trees in fall. Amazing!

I love community fish and am not too fond of fin nippers...I hate to see the fish always stressed and running from eachother. My favorite fish ever is the Glass Catfish Minor (I think that's the smaller one)
YIPPEE!:dance: I am so dreaming fish again...:rolleyes:

Maybe some sort of cichlid tank like Africans. Yellow labs for yellow then maybe some others fish. I saw a brown African cichlid trying to find now look pretty weird but cool.red zebra for red

this fish reminds me of a leaf so i thought id throw it out there, not sre how it is in a community though

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Marble Hatchet

Oh yes. I have always been interested in the Marble Hatchet fish. They are so cute! A bit small though. The silver Hatchet fish is much bigger, but plain in comparison. The Hatchets from what I have read, are excellent for community tanks with some shy schoolers because they "calm" them. Because in nature, the the middle dwellers use the top fish as threat radars; the top fish are gone, danger is near!
Thank you!

That fish in the link is a top dweller and always has done well in my community tank. I have several discus in fall colors, plus they are shaped somewhat like leaves :p my kuhli loaches remind me of fall as well, and my rope fish. There are some angels that come in nice browns and golds. Cant wait to see what you choose!

Maybe some sort of cichlid tank like Africans. Yellow labs for yellow then maybe some others fish. I saw a brown African cichlid trying to find now look pretty weird but cool.

Cichlids do have some very impressive colors! I love the Electric Yellows and Blues. So cool! We have a cichlid started already though. No where near finished, but it is a work in progress.
Thank you! ;)

That fish in the link is a top dweller and always has done well in my community tank. I have several discus in fall colors, plus they are shaped somewhat like leaves :p my kuhli loaches remind me of fall as well, and my rope fish. There are some angels that come in nice browns and golds. Cant wait to see what you choose!

I looooove Discus, but I am afraid I won't be able to keep them healthy. I have read that they are extremely fragile! They are the most beautiful fish though! I love their flat bodies too; less bio-load ;) Something I am careful about in my fish choosing.

Do you have a picture of your tank? I am curious to see what it lloks like with all those spectacular fish you have! (I am assuming they are in the same tank??)

Thank you for you suggestion! I must say, I was thinking going the discus route...if I can get over my fear or killing them :oops:

Would they do okay with Glass Catfish do you think?

ime the discus that my brother has are quite hardy, it may just be the individual fish but the lady we got them from had not kept care of them for a long time and they were still alive and kickin

Lovin Fish said:
I looooove Discus, but I am afraid I won't be able to keep them healthy. I have read that they are extremely fragile! They are the most beautiful fish though! I love their flat bodies too; less bio-load ;) Something I am careful about in my fish choosing.

Do you have a picture of your tank? I am curious to see what it lloks like with all those spectacular fish you have! (I am assuming they are in the same tank??)

Thank you for you suggestion! I must say, I was thinking going the discus route...if I can get over my fear or killing them :oops:

Would they do okay with Glass Catfish do you think?

I don't really do anything special for them, I mean they can be fragile but the only time ive had one die is after our huge tornado (joplin -.-) and when I add them to the tank which only happened once. Some are more susceptible to stress than others, depends on the fish.
As for how they'd do with the catfish, I have no idea.
Oh and yes I have pictures on my profile.

Go on Aquabid.com and look at the discus. You will be inspired. Just don't look at there prices though. Clown loaches have fall colors. Honey gouramis, pearl gouramis, whiteclouds. I'm so jealous of your huge tank!

Go on Aquabid.com and look at the discus. You will be inspired. Just don't look at there prices though. Clown loaches have fall colors. Honey gouramis, pearl gouramis, whiteclouds. I'm so jealous of your huge tank!

Discus here locally are $30 each. Cheaper than Denisonni Barbs (a fish I love) I think white clouds are adorable! They do best at cooler temps unfortunately. Honey gouramis are very beautiful...do you know if they are the same as marigold gouramis? The LFS has some Marigolds that I think are stunning.

Would Discus and Honey gouramis do good together? I'm not sure about gourami water parameters.

Thank you!

Okay...so I'm thinking if I went with big fish I'd go with Discus, White Angelfish, Marble Hatchet fish (they are compatible right?)...what would be a good bottom schooling fish that would offer some color, but not be gobbled up by the angels? Clown Loaches are awesome, but get too big for my liking. Love rummynose, but of course they'd get eaten and they need lower water temperature. (I already have some of them too ;-) ) We have 5 kuhli loaches in another tank, and I don't want to have tanks with the same fish. Would the Cuckoo (Synodontis Multipunctactus) be compatible with these fish? I think I remember they require a higher ph and maybe not such high temps?? They are not colorful but are quite striking with white bodies covered in spots! I need to get back to the drawing board and do more fish research LOL! I have 4 notebooks filled with fish species and tank set ups and oh my goodness! The list goes on and on! I'm still unsure what to put in my tank Ha Ha! I love TOO many fish!

If I went with smaller fish, Gold and Pearl colored Gouramis, Marbled Hatchet fish...what else?

I also like some rainbows and some tetras. Boy! This is fun! I love getting your thoughts! Thank you everyone!!

I've never had an angel or discus eat another fish. I've had neon tetras and lemon tetras in there and none of them got eaten. But idk every fish is different.

Lovin Fish said:
Discus here locally are $30 each. Cheaper than Denisonni Barbs (a fish I love) I think white clouds are adorable! They do best at cooler temps unfortunately. Honey gouramis are very beautiful...do you know if they are the same as marigold gouramis? The LFS has some Marigolds that I think are stunning.

Would Discus and Honey gouramis do good together? I'm not sure about gourami water parameters.

Thank you!

I didn't know white clouds needed cooler temps. I keep mine at 78-80 and they seem fine.

I didn't know white clouds needed cooler temps. I keep mine at 78-80 and they seem fine.

Awhile back I was doing a search for compatibles for goldfish, and white cloud minnows were on the VERY tiny list with a side note that when the goldfish got big enough to eat them, the white clouds would have to be moved LOL! The only reason they said they would be compatible was due to the cool water temperature needs.
How long have you had them at that temperature? I am far, FAR from being an expert, but I did read many times over that if fish are kept at temperatures that are lower or higher than they prefer, their lives are significantly shortened, and also that they will be stressed and could cause breakouts of disease more often.
I think it's okay to share links with eachother...I hope so! Here are a couple sources I found about White Cloud Mountain Minnows.
Fish Care: White Cloud Mountain Minnows
I came across a thread discussing White Clouds in 80 degrees...I am not sure if I am aloud to share links to other forums here?? If so, let me know and I will get the link to you. It was a gould discussion.
A site I use most often is
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.phpgenus=Tanichthys&species=albonubes&id=107

I keep my discus tank at 85.5

Discus, from what I've read do best at this temparature. White Clouds with Discus would be soooo very beautiful, but White Clouds do best between 60 - 72°F, again from what I've read.

I've never had an angel or discus eat another fish. I've had neon tetras and lemon tetras in there and none of them got eaten. But idk every fish is different.

I wonder is that perhaps due to them growing up together? My Mom kept Bala Sharks with neons and other tiny fish and the Balas never touched them! Even as the neons were replaced after dieing from old age, the newbies were never eaten.

Lovin Fish said:
I wonder is that perhaps due to them growing up together? My Mom kept Bala Sharks with neons and other tiny fish and the Balas never touched them! Even as the neons were replaced after dieing from old age, the newbies were never eaten.

Well, they sorta did, I mean we had angels way before we had discus but we introduced them in groups

Lovin Fish said:
Discus, from what I've read do best at this temparature. White Clouds with Discus would be soooo very beautiful, but White Clouds do best between 60 - 72°F, again from what I've read.

Wow, all the sources I read before I got them said 72-76, I guess I do have them a little too hot since I did the heat treatment during an ich outbreak I never turned it down that much. They seem happy but I guess I'll dial it back a little. At the LFS I always see them in the tropical tank area. Never knew they were considered "cold water" fish.

Back
Top Bottom