Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Colors of the Aquarium

Hi! I am so excited to share my husband bought me a used 6' long 180 gallon tank! WOO-HOO!
So! Now I get to choose fish again! I love this part! I was thinking about my favorite things in life, and one of them is fall colors! So, I thought it would be impressive to have a fall color theme going on in my tank I imagine leaving the green up to the plants and saving the "fall colors" for the fish. Than adding in one bright contrast such as white!
I would love to invite any of you interested to throw as many fish suggestions as you can my way! I hope you all will have as much fun with this as I am!

The colors I am looking for are brightyellows, golds, orange, reds, browns and then compliment them all with a bold white fish species. My inspiration for this idea is this; watching a documentary about migrating birds, I saw the most beautiful sight! A flock of white birds fying above leave trees in fall. Amazing!

I love community fish and am not too fond of fin nippers...I hate to see the fish always stressed and running from eachother. My favorite fish ever is the Glass Catfish Minor (I think that's the smaller one)
YIPPEE! I am so dreaming fish again...

Old 01-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

this fish reminds me of a leaf so i thought id throw it out there, not sre how it is in a community though

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Marble Hatchet

Old 01-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe some sort of cichlid tank like Africans. Yellow labs for yellow then maybe some others fish. I saw a brown African cichlid trying to find now look pretty weird but cool.red zebra for red
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHead707 View Post
this fish reminds me of a leaf so i thought id throw it out there, not sre how it is in a community though

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Marble Hatchet
Oh yes. I have always been interested in the Marble Hatchet fish. They are so cute! A bit small though. The silver Hatchet fish is much bigger, but plain in comparison. The Hatchets from what I have read, are excellent for community tanks with some shy schoolers because they "calm" them. Because in nature, the the middle dwellers use the top fish as threat radars; the top fish are gone, danger is near!
Thank you!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

That fish in the link is a top dweller and always has done well in my community tank. I have several discus in fall colors, plus they are shaped somewhat like leaves :P my kuhli loaches remind me of fall as well, and my rope fish. There are some angels that come in nice browns and golds. Cant wait to see what you choose!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie View Post
Maybe some sort of cichlid tank like Africans. Yellow labs for yellow then maybe some others fish. I saw a brown African cichlid trying to find now look pretty weird but cool.
Cichlids do have some very impressive colors! I love the Electric Yellows and Blues. So cool! We have a cichlid started already though. No where near finished, but it is a work in progress.
Thank you!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytertot View Post
That fish in the link is a top dweller and always has done well in my community tank. I have several discus in fall colors, plus they are shaped somewhat like leaves :P my kuhli loaches remind me of fall as well, and my rope fish. There are some angels that come in nice browns and golds. Cant wait to see what you choose!
I looooove Discus, but I am afraid I won't be able to keep them healthy. I have read that they are extremely fragile! They are the most beautiful fish though! I love their flat bodies too; less bio-load Something I am careful about in my fish choosing.

Do you have a picture of your tank? I am curious to see what it lloks like with all those spectacular fish you have! (I am assuming they are in the same tank??)

Thank you for you suggestion! I must say, I was thinking going the discus route...if I can get over my fear or killing them

Would they do okay with Glass Catfish do you think?
Old 01-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ime the discus that my brother has are quite hardy, it may just be the individual fish but the lady we got them from had not kept care of them for a long time and they were still alive and kickin
Old 01-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish

I looooove Discus, but I am afraid I won't be able to keep them healthy. I have read that they are extremely fragile! They are the most beautiful fish though! I love their flat bodies too; less bio-load Something I am careful about in my fish choosing.

Do you have a picture of your tank? I am curious to see what it lloks like with all those spectacular fish you have! (I am assuming they are in the same tank??)

Thank you for you suggestion! I must say, I was thinking going the discus route...if I can get over my fear or killing them

Would they do okay with Glass Catfish do you think?
I don't really do anything special for them, I mean they can be fragile but the only time ive had one die is after our huge tornado (joplin -.-) and when I add them to the tank which only happened once. Some are more susceptible to stress than others, depends on the fish.
As for how they'd do with the catfish, I have no idea.
Oh and yes I have pictures on my profile.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Go on Aquabid.com and look at the discus. You will be inspired. Just don't look at there prices though. Clown loaches have fall colors. Honey gouramis, pearl gouramis, whiteclouds. I'm so jealous of your huge tank!

Tags
180 gallon, colorful fish, colors, community tank, freshwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com