Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #11

POTM Champion

Ok, im not smart enough to be scientific. But this sounds similar to the effects of breast milk and the effects of whats passed from it to offspring. Both good and bad.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 04-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishperson View Post
And is your professor's hypothesis the same but more specific?
No, his hypothesis is that they're passing antibodies onto the fry through the mucus, either instead of or in addition to passing them through the eggs (which is what most fish do).

Mine is just that there will be overlap in general expression of immune proteins, like CRP, C-type lectins, etc., between the stress response and the spawning response.

I hope that makes sense, I feel like I'm being unclear!

sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaRyno View Post
Ok, im not smart enough to be scientific. But this sounds similar to the effects of breast milk and the effects of whats passed from it to offspring. Both good and bad.

They've actually already done studies on discus passing the bad- if you can find it, there's a great paper on it that I used as a source for this project. I already uploaded it to one of your threads I think, but I'm hesitant to keep doing that because I'm probably not technically supposed to do that. (Thanks to the leech on human progress that is academic publishing )

Maunder, RJ, Buckley, J, Val, AL, Sloman, KA, 2013. A toxic diet: Transfer of contaminants to offspring through a parental care mechanism. Journal of Experimental Biology 216:3587-3590
Old 04-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Whew, it took me a little bit to understand what you were saying Looking forward to seeing how it progresses!
Old 04-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thanks for adding this to our options of "interesting things I did today"

This will likely be over my head in areas but fascinating none the less. And I love Discus.

Was thinking similar thing about the breast milk if there is any similarity in transfer to the baby Discus in regards to protection.

This could be interesting if the contents of the mucous is a protection, what can it protect the fish or cells from, like protecting healthy cells from cancer cells kind of idea.

This is nice, education with out the tuition costs! Thanks for sharing!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm glad it seems for the most part people are understanding me! I try to speak English

If anything is confusing or too complicated though, please ask and I'll try to explain it out! I'm not just aspiring to be a scientist, I'd also like to be a professor- and not the crappy kind that doesn't care if people understand or not. So it's as helpful for me as it is to you if you ask me questions, so I can see where I am not being clear or where other people have trouble understanding!

Tomorrow I'll try to get pictures of my abysmal-looking setup and the few discus we already have.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:58 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, I wanted to give a shoutout and a deep, deep thanks to the user PoppaRyno who has so generously offered me some fry from a pair of AA show grade discus if he can breed them. We lost about $300 worth of discus to an unidentified disease- I don't think anyone here was able to pinpoint anything. We suspect it may have been viral, as no treatment under the sun was effective against it. Everything else was right- water conditions, tank size, frequent water changes, etc.

In any case, while we should still be able to afford some fish from different sources, he's given us the chance to be able to do a whole heck of a lot more with this- more fish to work with and more budget in order to do more experiments (For reference, just the initial gel electrophoresis experiments are in the $1,200 range to analyze all of our initial planned samples). And apparently the university doesn't care about discus research, or my proposal wasn't good enough, because I didn't get funded by the center for undergraduate research. Suffice to say, this was a Godsend, thank you so much!

Pictures of the growout tank and the discus we do still have tomorrow. If anyone is interested I'll get pictures of some of the other cool stuff in the ARC- a 500+? gallon reef display, a massive lungfish, some atlantic sturgeon, two big oscars, a maine native touch tank, etc.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:05 AM   #18

POTM Champion

No shouts necessary my friend. Your doing work i wish i could. But my brain no work so good, lol. Im just a jayhawk that has a way with fishies. Anything i breed your always welcome to free of charge. Work hard, work smart, work together. Together we will rule the discus world. Ha ha ha.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:31 AM   #19

POTM Champion

http://static-content.springer.com/l...216960/000.png

Old 04-28-2015, 02:40 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaRyno View Post
http://static-content.springer.com/l...216960/000.png

Looks like a really interesting paper! Of course it's behind a stupid paywall. Good old academic publishing, locking information away where no one can use it. I'm lucky I have university database access so I can download all of this stuff for free rather than pay the outrageous $40 per article.

Tags
discus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com