The Discus Thesis Progress Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lucky duck, smarty pants. Lol, nudge nudge, wink wink.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lucky duck, smarty pants. Lol, nudge nudge, wink wink.

Believe me, if I thought I could get away with sharing every interesting research article I find I would do it. You might think you're funding scientists when you pay to access an article, but no, the SCIENTISTS actually PAID for the article to be considered! And then you have to pay to access it! It's freakin' unbelievable. Academic publishing is a leech on the advance of human knowledge. I have absolutely no moral qualms about denying them their undeserved revenue but unfortunately it's illegal.

Then print them all and make me a book of all these papers

Just kidding. Stay out of trouble. We discies need you where your at.

I'll just write a bunch and share my own papers! You'll get all the information first hand right here. And then I can keep researching these guys :D

You might appreciate this. Pics of my moms discus from the late 70s. I took a pic of a pic lol. Shes why i know what i know. Wild brown discus.

It says i exceeded my quota when i try to upload the pic.

That happened to me as well.

Go to photobucket.com. If you make an account it is easy to upload photos (they also have an app that I actually find easier than the website).

On the website: Once you upload a photo, click on it and look on the right where it says "IMG". When you click on that it will be copied and you can paste it in to a post and it will appear.

On the app: once you upload a photo, tap it and click the button on the bottom that looks like an "i" with a circle around it, then tap "IMG" and do the same thing as above.

Here's the growout setup. I'm open to any thoughts! Lost another one this morning which leaves 4 left. They're too skittish to get a good picture of.

Attachments

• Photo on 4-28-15 at 11.06 AM.jpg
    Photo on 4-28-15 at 11.06 AM.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Photo on 4-28-15 at 11.18 AM.jpg
    Photo on 4-28-15 at 11.18 AM.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 43
That happened to me as well.

Go to photobucket.com. If you make an account it is easy to upload photos (they also have an app that I actually find easier than the website).

On the website: Once you upload a photo, click on it and look on the right where it says "IMG". When you click on that it will be copied and you can paste it in to a post and it will appear.

On the app: once you upload a photo, tap it and click the button on the bottom that looks like an "i" with a circle around it, then tap "IMG" and do the same thing as above.

Thank you.

Why no plants or drift wood?
Discus are nervous /skittish fish.
Help them help you....
Give them something to anchor them.
I don't understand the tube,or gravel.
A potted plant would give them more cover.
Just My opinion.

Why no plants or drift wood?
Discus are nervous /skittish fish.
Help them help you....
Give them something to anchor them.
I don't understand the tube,or gravel.
A potted plant would give them more cover.
Just My opinion.

The gravel came with the tank. I want it out but I don't want to stress the fish by taking it out.

We don't have enough lighting for any plants but I can see what we can do. The tube is in there as structure and a place to hide in.

They will never go IN a tube IMO unless it is well over 6" ID.
Even fake plants would ground them and then they would feel more secure.
The gravel is here or there ,but if you get fry you won't want it IMO.

They will never go IN a tube IMO unless it is well over 6" ID.
Even fake plants would ground them and then they would feel more secure.
The gravel is here or there ,but if you get fry you won't want it IMO.

Well we've got separate bare-bottom tanks for spawning pairs. I'll try to at least get more structure in the tank.

Ok bare with me cuz I'm still trying to use Google speak. how big is the tank that you have them in now looks like a 125 maybe. I know you told me but I can't remember. Coral banded is correct they need driftwood plants structure. the PVC pipes are good for nothing with discus. Possibly they could lay eggs on them. but the driftwood plants and a fine grain substrate are key at this point. The reason these are key is because in the wild the stripes they have are there to camouflage them among driftwood plant roots that grow down in from Bob plants and low jungle plans. Also I believe if its a hundred plus gallon tank with only four small discus, the discus will have a hard time finding and locating food. if they are only 2 inches I would put them in a 55 until they grow out. all this is obviously just my opinion.. What's your temperature at and what is your feeding regimen?

Back
Top Bottom