Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2014, 02:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilygupps View Post
I think you can have the virtual tank on your tv already?

Agreed. But I think Ian was talking small all the way to outrageous large and extreme plug n play. As well as amazing quality (ie "22 dimension). And "easily transportable", maybe you can take your tank with you on a USB, or your phone, Trade fish, buy and sell.......

Old 05-11-2014, 02:19 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That sounds depressing.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilygupps View Post
That sounds depressing.

Unless you are the one making the money. Because then you could afford real aquariums
Old 05-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #14
Adipose Fins Are Cool!

I'll be dead and gone by the time all that digital aquarium stuff comes around. I'll be looking down(or up) laughing my arse off at you guys paying your monthly fee for it like you do your cell phones. And they'll convince everyone they are absolutely necessary like they have the cell phone. OS.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Old scales that's gold! I'd hope to never see this day I'm hoping captive breeding with all types if fish will help sustain our hobby and aquaculture of corals will is already becoming a sustainable thing now so there maybe be hope
Old 05-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

One thing I see happening is that it will be increasingly difficult to get fish and tanks. The reason is on line stores. Everyone wants to save a buck, so we look on line for dry goods. Good deals, perhaps. The downside is the brick and mortar stores, where we usually go to get tanks and livestock are going away. When that happens, where do you go for fish? On line you say? Way more costly and you can't see what your buying. What about tanks? Very expensive to have shipped. right now there are distribution channels that help lower the cost of shipping individual tanks. Those are things I see as problems. You may save a few bucks buying dry goods on line, but you will help put your source for fish and tanks out of business. Belonging to an aquarium society will help with livestock, and maybe the odd tank, but most people don't acquire their hobby good this way. A few years ago, Walmart was the largest aquarium store in North America in terms of total gallonage. They are getting out of it (or already have) and there aren't many LFS still around. The big boxes like Petsmart and the like don't cutit for the enthusiast.This is more likely to impact the hobby in my view, especially for the average aquarist who keeps a tank or two ( the vast majority) and isn't a zealot. So, while the hobby has progressed in many ways, in terms of improved equipment and availability of fish species, the decline is starting.
As far as a virtual aquarium goes, I would have no interest. As games go, it would be a little boring.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #17
Adipose Fins Are Cool!

In all seriousness, I'm encouraged with what I've read about more successes in captive spawning of previously unspawned species. I expect the very difficult ones will become extinct or be forbidden to sell while most of the others will be only available from commercial breeders. Wild caught will become very rare except for the very prolific species. Sadly, I expect all of it to get much more expensive. OS.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scales View Post
In all seriousness, I'm encouraged with what I've read about more successes in captive spawning of previously unspawned species. I expect the very difficult ones will become extinct or be forbidden to sell while most of the others will be only available from commercial breeders. Wild caught will become very rare except for the very prolific species. Sadly, I expect all of it to get much more expensive. OS.
rolls out the red carpet for "dun dun dunnnn" hybrids galore.... : cringe:
Old 05-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #19
Adipose Fins Are Cool!

Just had a funny vision Brookster. A hybrid "Zebra Neon Tetra". As it swims by in front of you, the light reflects on the blue line that says, "Eat At Joe's". OS.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scales View Post
Just had a funny vision Brookster. A hybrid "Zebra Neon Tetra". As it swims by in front of you, the light reflects on the blue line that says, "Eat At Joe's". OS.
hahaha ok okay.. I'm not hungry though:. How about a glofish angel that will actually alert you when someone likes your Facebook status?!?!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com