The Great Debate: SWvsFW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWvs SWvs BW

• Freshwater

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Brackish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Combo

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
Saltwater really isn't that difficult provided you take the time to do your research and have the patience to let the tank cycle properly. Those are the two keys to saltwater, research and patience.

Saltwater really isn't that difficult provided you take the time to do your research and have the patience to let the tank cycle properly. Those are the two keys to saltwater, research and patience.

i think those are the keys to all fish keeping. i suppose SW just takes a little more research (and money!)

Dark Side all the way. I had FW for over 20 years and did not have the fun I am having with my SW tank. Cost.....I have a 20g low tech SW setup that is over 2 yrs old and all it has is LR and Sand, One fish, one urchin and hermits and snails with only a box air filter and some cheap lites. Total cost is under $100.00... I have not had any problems with this setup.

I love looking at reef tanks, especially some of the ones that the members/mods/mentors have on here. I guess that I am one of the few who actually dont like sw. I tried it, granted it was only a 10g, and did not get the enjoyment out of it. I dedicate alot of time to maintenance on my tanks, so that aspect wasnt really alot different. I dont know why, but I just didnt enjoy it. Maybe one day I can try again with a bigger tank, but for now, i'll stick with my fw tanks :)

I vote for FW, SW is expensive and the green plants are so attractive. I find the coral a bit boring.

i am sorry the debate is over. the people have spoken.... fw wins with out questions. this is the whole pc mac all over again.... so they might make a lot of noise over it how great it is yet more fw out there with out question. heck higher percent of fish in the fw trade are captive breed also.

Yes, more captive bred FW fish, but FW aquariums have been around for over a 100 years to. For being around alot less SW is not doing to bad. We have made leaps and bounds in the last 30 years alone.

Agreed! SW is where its at. I'm not sure how anyone could like plants more then coral, plus its not like we don't have macro.:confused:

For me its ALL about the coral. It's like collecting things, then having to maintain that collection, and if you are really good to it, it gives you back so much. Fragging coral is also like pruning a bonsai tree, you can effect how it grows, and then you let the frag grow out and you can save the reefs. SW to me just has so many more benefits, colors, and life over FW.

I dont agree with this poll. Fw got more vote but if you read thru it alot of people said " i like sw better BUT i voted fw" the poll is which do you like better. So then i protest the poll :)

Ps im being sarcastic.

Haha, im really not sure how to respond to that. If thats really how you think of coral, I feel bad for you.

I would love to have all, but SW is my fav. The fish are beautiful. I'm up all hours at night looking at all the cool stuff in my live rocks.

Back
Top Bottom