The Great Debate: SWvsFW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWvs SWvs BW

• Freshwater

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Brackish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Combo

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
The Great Debate: SWvsFW (vs BW)

So I know this is a great debate in some places, and I figured I would start a poll and see which is really more preferred. I personally would love to have one each of SW FW and BW tanks, but I am not in the budget for all of that yet. So, which do you prefer? And Why?

Last edited:
I like it all, although I do favor sw cause I haven't tried it yet lol, but I chose combo because it suited my opinions better.

I voted for SW, even though i dont have a sw tank i really just love the way they look and everything that goes on in them. I have all FW and love them its just SW looks so much better in some cases (theres a few FW that i really love). If it wasnt so expensive and so much work i would def. have a sw tank.

FW all the way. Simpler, cheaper, and fits my view of nature more closely than a reef environment does. I am envious of a well-kept, colorful SW tank, though.

There is no debate. SW is better. LOL Really I`ve seen some beautiful looking tanks that are all three. I perfer Sw but I`ve seen some nice looking FW and BW.

Has FW growing up, then a FW 30 for years with my GF that travelled with me to a couple of new locations. After 5 years with no tank I made the move to SW. If I had the room I would add more SW tanks!

I voted FW. having a SW tank is just too darn expensive. and to be honest i like the look of a lush, green, planted tank much better than any SW reef tank i have seen. i say SW belongs in the ocean, leave it there! lol :D

I really like the look of saltwater but I am just getting back into the hobby and I need to perfect FW before I take the plunge into SW, no pun intended.

I prefer freshwater more because I prefer a larger amount (and reasonably large variety) of smaller fish vs a small number of larger fish in a tank.

no, I'm just saying some ppl just a have a smaller number of larger fish in a fw tank, like oscars. not trying to criticize at all.

Freshwater can be just as difficult as saltwater depending on what type of set up. A lot of those amano-style tanks require a lot of work.

no, I'm just saying some ppl just a have a smaller number of larger fish in a fw tank, like oscars. not trying to criticize at all.

Ah sorry... you are absolutely correct. Jumped the gun there I am sorry.... I am a bit oversensitive today it seems :)

Saltwater all the way! I've had FW my whole childhood...and we probably were not taking proper care of them since we just fed them daily and rarely did any water changes...we still have many goldfish for our pond and a small 10g with a couple odd fish left that dont seem to die ever! We did have a guppy tank once that i really enjoyed mainly cause they bread like crazy so there was always babies :)

I like the saltwater better because there is always surprises....im still finding new creatures coming out of my liverock from my tank thats about a year and a half now. There is always new and different fish/corals in the saltwater fish store i go to and i find all the hard work doing water tests and stuff definitely pays off when corals grow/multiply. It's like a little reward :)

Back
Top Bottom