Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-10-2005, 09:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The guilt is overwhelming!!!

So I'm sitting here eating my dinner as I'm browsing the site... Just soaking up as much info. as I can while my tank is cycling... Dreaming of having cute, scaly little friend of my own in my big glass box... When suddenly it hits me...

Old 11-10-2005, 09:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via MSN to Zagz

AA Community Rules | AA TOS

Site Administrator
Old 11-10-2005, 10:09 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
That is pretty funny. I sometimes wonder how I can still eat fish when I try to keep several of them alive in two glass boxes. An interesting paradox. LOL.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Very funny. Remember many people keep mammals, and most of us are mammals and we eat them too.
From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
lol. I sort of wonder why I eat meat in general. I guess it's because my tastebuds tell me that I like to eat meat and if something was awful for us we would have evolved so that we would think that it tastes bad (I know that there's always the odd person, but we all have the same basic sensors so I'm going with the exception that proves the rule) I like meat. It tastes good. Especially steak. I tried being a vegitarian once. It lasted 2 days before I gave in. Besides, eating tuna prevents heart attacks, strokes, lowers cholestoral, and makes you overall, healthier. And salmon is one of the 10 best things for you. (according to a health magazine) :| but that's odd. Maybe I'll try to gradually cut down on meat. (If you want to become a vegitarian then just google factory farms. You'll never eat meat again)
Old 11-11-2005, 12:31 AM   #6
I grew up on a small farm. We grew our own vegetebales and some fruits. We canned the fruits and veggies for winter time. We had chickens and gathered the eggs every day. And my Grandma raised cows and butchered a steer every year or so.
Meat is good for you... Eggs are one of the most complete forms of protein you can get! True Vegans and some vegetarians have to take Vitamine B12 i think (Becuase it's only found in meat) which is very important.. and they have to combine different protein sources to get all the essential amino acids.
Just some uh.. food for thought.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
I go to the LFS and then straight to a seafood resturant all that time. Here's how I tend to look at the whole eating meat thing:

I wouldn't eat it if I had to kill the animal, unless I was in a survival situation, especially because there are a lot of different food options other than meat. However, even though I stopped eating meat the meat processing plants will keep operating because there is a demand for meat. So for me, the meat is already prepared, the animal died and in a very short amount of time if the meat isn't eaten it will spoil and go to waste meaning an animal was killed for no reason at all.

What about wild caught fish for our aquariums? Or fish that grow to such sizes that they should never be kept in a home? I think those are the bigger issues. At least most meats are farmed for the purpose of eating and the population is under control. Besides, it's in our nature to eat other animals.
40G Brackish Mangrove Swamp
(4) Toxotes Jaculatrix
(2) Uca Spp.

37G Puffer Tank
(1) Tetraodon nigroviridis

200G Mangrove Swamp (Under Construction)
Old 11-11-2005, 12:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
That is funny.

Don't feel too bad...many species of catfish, tilapia, and gouramis are caught or raised for human consumption. People also eat rabbit and guinea pigs are considered a delicacy in South America.

Personally, I love tamarind-seasoned whole tilapia - grilled while wrapped in a banana leaf to keep it moist. Yum!
Old 11-11-2005, 10:26 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to crazyred
Well, my thinking on this is that, yes...we get weepy and sentimental thinking about cows, pigs, chickens, etc. being killed to feed us, but we are ominivores, meaning that the human body MUST have both animal protein and vegetable matter to survive. I know that in today's society we are supposed to be "progressive" enough to come up with the animal protein out of a lab (vitamin pills and such) without having to kill anything, but this is unrealistic. Any doctor or pharmacist will tell you that vitamin supplements are not processed the same or as effectively as nutrients from food. So, we were meant by nature to eat animals (just look at our teeth!). I try not to think about it too much, I just know that I'm following what nature intended.
"My name is Crazy Red and I'm an Aquariumaholic." ~~Melissa~~dedicated Ram breeder~~

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
Old 11-11-2005, 10:52 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I try not to get into the debate. Too easy to have it get heated rather quickly. I eat just as was intended for us to do. If I like the taste of a food I will eat it, if I don't I won't. I look at it this way, even in a fish tank, fish will eat fish. The circle of life is what it is.

AA Community Rules | AA TOS

Site Administrator
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com