The joys of children... and fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbaeunn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Picked up some neon tetras to do some fish-in cycling..
2 died by the next morning and had a fuzz around them
Then another died. I had them sitting in a baggie to get the receipt to take them back and get new ones.
I walk past my tank, and I see brown stuff in the baggie.. THEYRE SMUSHED!!!
My 3yr old whacked them with his play hammer.. :eek:

There goes 3 free fish.

That is sad to hear :-( There are much hardier fish to start a tank with. ....Neon Tetras, from all I've read, are fragile and not recommended until the tank is more well established.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Guppies and Tetra SafeStart

I cycled with 4 guppies and with the use of Tetra SafeStart, and all fish made it to the end of the cycle and are healthy as ever now. I've read some reviews stating that TSS did not work for them, but it seemed to do the job for me.

Follow the instructions if using TSS - add the entire bottle, and wait 2 weeks before doing a WC.

Neons are probably the worst fish to cycle with. They are way to fragile. What size tank and we can help you decided on better stock.

Do your research before adding fish. Tank should be cycled first if you care about the health of your fish.. I don't get why they even developed a system of taking back dead fish to replace them! In 99% there is something wrong with the water, not with the fish being sick. In my opinion they encourage people to not give a **** about their animals trough this system..
And yes, I do find this quite upsetting. But anyways do your research.. As stated if you do decide on a fish-in cycle, get some hardier species like danios :)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

I cycled one of my 10 gal tanks with TSS and 6 neon tetras last june with no problems and no loss of life. The tank was designed for them, black water, They are still happy and healthy and now there are some embers and glow light tetras plus the original 6 neons. Alison

This whole post is disturbing. I don't usually voice my opinions when I have nothing nice to say but this is awful. Your carefree attitude of "oh well there goes 3 free fish" is appalling and on top of it who lets their kids smash live animals to death :( you wouldn't be so carefree if they were kittens in that bag. I'm so over people not treating fish lives as equal to any other animal.

I guess that's just the vegan in me, but geesh. If you are going to own lives be responsible. Please. I'm not entirely sure why you would think to post this on such a fish advocate support group.

Sorry if I sound harsh but some people need a wake up call. I get that in this hobby mistakes are made and fish die or get sick, but to have them literally smashed for no reason is quite different.

Ya my apologies. They were indeed dead. For some reason I misread and though my they were the new ones in the bag then my blinded anger just took over. My bad opps!

This whole post is disturbing. I don't usually voice my opinions when I have nothing nice to say but this is awful. Your carefree attitude of "oh well there goes 3 free fish" is appalling and on top of it who lets their kids smash live animals to death :( you wouldn't be so carefree if they were kittens in that bag. I'm so over people not treating fish lives as equal to any other animal.

I guess that's just the vegan in me, but geesh. If you are going to own lives be responsible. Please. I'm not entirely sure why you would think to post this on such a fish advocate support group.

Sorry if I sound harsh but some people need a wake up call. I get that in this hobby mistakes are made and fish die or get sick, but to have them literally smashed for no reason is quite different.

For one.. The fish were dead. The tank was once an on going tank.. I had to tear it down because of a complete snail overhaul. I got Tetras to go in it with my Betta and ADFs. I have an easier time cycling because I have well water fed from an underground stream.

I did my research, and assumed that they would be fine in the earlier stages of fish-in cycling considering that it had been a few days since the tank was already up housing a Betta and 2 ADFs.

I honestly didn't think that after telling my son 'don't touch the dead fish in the bag, we have to take them back so we can get new ones' he was gonna turn around and smash them with a PLAY Hammer. He knows not to play on the fish tank..

It was more along the lines posted to see if I was the only person something along the lines of this has ever happened. I've seen where parents with kids thought it was a good idea to drop their toys inside the tank for the fish.

Ya... That's an understatement lol all I envisioned was this Sid like character from toy story banging fish heads in lol many apologies... This is why I never pipe in haha learned my lesson

lol- It's okay.
I think those fish weren't a good bunch anyways.. I stopped in to get some Frog food and the kids always want to look at the fish. Half of their wall had signs on the tank saying they were treating the tanks and the fish inside w. signs on them could not be bought.
I posted about it in another thread. I'm SUPER PO'ed about it because I lost my Male Betta I got as a baby, this morning.

kid/fish

I don't have kids but cats. Making water change, cat did'nt know the lid was up and in he went. omg! that was quite something:eek:

Oh man. My son is 18 months and he is like obsessed with the water changer and gravel vacs. He runs around with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a 3 year old an an 18 month old. I do water changes when they in bed. They help with feeding and that's it. They know not to touch the tank as will 'scare the fish'

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't have kids but cats. Making water change, cat did'nt know the lid was up and in he went. omg! that was quite something:eek:

This made my afternoon ? my cat will sit on a chair by my 45g and watch and paw at my dojo loach and she gets frustrated because she can't get him lol this is any every day thing

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

This made my afternoon �� my cat will sit on a chair by my 45g and watch and paw at my dojo loach and she gets frustrated because she can't get him lol this is any every day thing

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

At 24 sec the cat gets it

Back
Top Bottom