Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-17-2004, 01:21 AM   #1
The Local Fish Store

Today my friend and I went to the shopping center where our LFS is, they have a home depot there as well. We wanted to build a sump, turns out, our plans were completely faulty (gave up on the sump, our budget was too low to build anything that worked). We spent about 1.5-2 hours at our LFS and didn't buy anything. In the end, we ended up buying some hermit crabs (If anyone from our LFS is on this forum, I can't say it to your face, but you guys need to lower your prices, and stop giving the type of advice "you can try it, but I wouldn't do that"). Anyway, that was my trip to our local fish store.

Anyone else here spend that time in an LFS (not making any HUGE purchases)? Or am I the only freak here? LOL....
Old 08-17-2004, 02:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Usually once a month I make the rounds to a few lfs, to check their stock and for sales and get any little things I need. I usually spend about an hour or so in each one.

~Mike Shaw
Shawmutt.com. Blogs and Pictures of the Massively Multiplayer Offline game, Real Life.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Yes, I spent way too much time at LFS!

Old 08-17-2004, 12:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm off to get married!!
Let's get a line wet!
Old 08-17-2004, 05:19 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
I regularly stop by my all of the area LFS's, especially the one that is my favorite, and just browse and see what they have, chat with the staff, etc. I just like looking at fish, so it is kind of like going to a public aquarium or something. It gives me ideas and helps me keep up with what is popular, what they can't get in lately, etc.

It's nice to walk in a shop and the owner comes over to say, "you gotta come into the back and see these new peacocks we got" or something - contributes to MTS, for sure!
Old 08-17-2004, 09:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
Every week I "need" something from the LFS. My mom is SO sick of it, she refuses to go. I have to beg her and clean the house. I spend 2 to 2 1/2 hours there, staring at the fish and supplies.(Petting the dogs too )
Old 08-17-2004, 09:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just graduated from Santa Barbara.... which store? PM me if you don't want to say the name in "public". Just curious, I've spent hours and every store there...
That'll do pig, that'll do
Old 08-17-2004, 11:39 PM   #8
The Ocean Floors, does that ring a bell?

are you a customer or an employee? (or the owner)
Old 08-18-2004, 12:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via Yahoo to Punkymom
I'm in my LFS every week. I have to buy crickets for my Oscars and their prices are better than Petsmart so I have an excuse if you will for going every week! I usually spend about 2 hours in there every week. I'm going to be buying my 75 gal from them soon so they're going to lurve me!!!!
Old 08-18-2004, 12:40 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

My lfs is a hatchery. Stop by if you're in the Pittsburgh area! http://www.alloddballaquatics.com/

I live 45 minutes away, but when I go, I stay for an hour or two! I just love looking at the fry (some smaller than pinhead size) and the juvenile fish. (I even saw a Polypterus, Fruitbat!) It's amazing how a very, very tiny angelfish looks just like a miniature version of a big one!

Of course the hatchery has the most beautiful bettas around!

The large planted tank (plants for sale) is great too. There is also a display cichlid tank that is worth the trip!

There usually are people from the aquarium club there too. I don't belong to the club, but it's nice to talk "fish" with them all!

Closed Thread

local fish store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com