The Local Fish Store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Today my friend and I went to the shopping center where our LFS is, they have a home depot there as well. We wanted to build a sump, turns out, our plans were completely faulty (gave up on the sump, our budget was too low to build anything that worked). We spent about 1.5-2 hours at our LFS and didn't buy anything. In the end, we ended up buying some hermit crabs (If anyone from our LFS is on this forum, I can't say it to your face, but you guys need to lower your prices, and stop giving the type of advice "you can try it, but I wouldn't do that"). Anyway, that was my trip to our local fish store.

Anyone else here spend that time in an LFS (not making any HUGE purchases)? Or am I the only freak here? LOL....

Usually once a month I make the rounds to a few lfs, to check their stock and for sales and get any little things I need. I usually spend about an hour or so in each one.

I regularly stop by my all of the area LFS's, especially the one that is my favorite, and just browse and see what they have, chat with the staff, etc. I just like looking at fish, so it is kind of like going to a public aquarium or something. It gives me ideas and helps me keep up with what is popular, what they can't get in lately, etc.

It's nice to walk in a shop and the owner comes over to say, "you gotta come into the back and see these new peacocks we got" or something - contributes to MTS, for sure!

Every week I "need" :wink: something from the LFS. My mom is SO sick of it, she refuses to go. I have to beg her and clean the house. I spend 2 to 2 1/2 hours there, staring at the fish and supplies.(Petting the dogs too :D :D )

I just graduated from Santa Barbara.... which store? PM me if you don't want to say the name in "public". Just curious, I've spent hours and every store there...

The Ocean Floors, does that ring a bell?

are you a customer or an employee? (or the owner)

I'm in my LFS every week. I have to buy crickets for my Oscars and their prices are better than Petsmart so I have an excuse if you will for going every week! I usually spend about 2 hours in there every week. I'm going to be buying my 75 gal from them soon so they're going to lurve me!!!!

My lfs is a hatchery. Stop by if you're in the Pittsburgh area! http://www.alloddballaquatics.com/

I live 45 minutes away, but when I go, I stay for an hour or two! I just love looking at the fry (some smaller than pinhead size) and the juvenile fish. (I even saw a Polypterus, Fruitbat!) It's amazing how a very, very tiny angelfish looks just like a miniature version of a big one!

Of course the hatchery has the most beautiful bettas around!

The large planted tank (plants for sale) is great too. There is also a display cichlid tank that is worth the trip!

There usually are people from the aquarium club there too. I don't belong to the club, but it's nice to talk "fish" with them all!

lol its kinda funny. when i had guitar lessons i went to this fish store after guitar every monday. when i stopped taking them and stopped by to get some peat (they were the only one who had it in the area) the guy there said "well i havent seen you in awhile" haha

yeah when the main employee from my LFS sees me pull up he runs out and opens the door for me. If i don't stop by at least once a week he asks me if everything is ok LOL i also spend about an hour there each time i go just looking around. So so hard not to buy anything but my Boyfriend would kill me if i spent anymore before we start setting up the salt.

ah, yes. the ocean floor. pretty pricey imo, and while the employees think they know a lot, I often think they don't know squat. The owner seems to know a lot about SW, but they're FW knowledge and selection is lacking. but every once in a while they had something i wanted.

LOL, as a new-comer to this hobby, I think I would agree. Although they know a lot more than I do, and they seem very confident in the advice they give, it doesn't always checkout with my other sources. But I think they know enough to keep me from doing something stupid.

You know that short lady (I think it's a lady) who works there with the glasses, she's got short hair? Well her advice is like, "You can try that but, I wouldn't do that." ARGHHHH it really gets to my head. Although recently she has been giving out some straight forward advice.

BTW, which one is the owner? (I don't know their names, description only)

Yes the ocean floor yah they do have good knowledge but all of them give different opinions and i do not know who to listen to, and yes they are pricey which sucks but yah its weird going there now becuz i go there a lot and they like give me this wierd look

Yeah, today I went to see if they can help me setup my protein skimmer. They were of no help.

I *think* the owner is the blond lady... she's at least the manager. She's nice. What she doesn't know I believe she's trying to learn. I don't think she knows much FW.

What about aquatic designs on hollister? I know its small, but Matt always ordered me what I needed and seems to know a bunch...

Where on hollister is it? Do you know of any other good fish stores in the area. Not only Goleta, I wouldn't mind going down to Santa Barbara.

Oh yeah when I went in to get some help with my protein skimmer, the blonde lady and the older lady with the glasses were of no help. They told me to come back when the owner was there. I think the owner is the bald guy. I'm starting to question their experience. I'm not a pro, I just started this about 1.5 months ago, but their advice doesn't check in with my other sources and half the time it doesn't check in with them. I shouldn't be talking either, they know a lot more than I do. Seems to me like they are good enough to get "beginners" on their feet. I am trying to do as much research as possible; looking through the internet and reading books.

Wow....I have gone to my LFS so often now, that they recognize me and know what kind of fish tank I have. Kind of scary.....I guess I'm just going to have to get used to that.

(BTW....I'm new to the wonderful world of fish keeping)

:invasion:

lol, my local fish store closed down...... :bawl: now i am having to drive an hour to get to the closest petsmart/pet co to get stuff. and the lfs was the only sorce for brime shrimp. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom