The most annoying thing in this hobby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having to special order everything. Back when I was younger, pet shops sold parts to all the filters they sold, from air pumps diaphrams, to parts for dynaflows and magnums and the supreme hobs, all sorts of O-rings, strainers, impellers. Now they just sell the unit. If something goes wrong , need to wait a week or 2 or go online and find it and hope whoever your buying it from sends you the right model part.

has to be, without a single doubt, the ignorance and clear misunderstanding that non-hobbyists express to me. moreover its 10x worse when I tell them that I have 4 tanks in my home with 2 more sitting empty...... clearly im an immature adult that likes "stupid" goldfish too much....:facepalm::banghead:

Only having one big box pet store that only have your everyday fish selection and driving 1 1/2 hours to a decent LFS.

Hahahahaha

I like the 'my plants were picked by a native guy from a waterfall with a rainbow over it'

That was good.

------

Waiting for my tank to cycle and generally feeling idiotic about every aspect from filter to substrate because everyone I talk to has their own 'right way' and they are all different. It's very confusing. Thanks for holding my hand fish forum.

has to be, without a single doubt, the ignorance and clear misunderstanding that non-hobbyists express to me. moreover its 10x worse when I tell them that I have 4 tanks in my home with 2 more sitting empty...... clearly im an immature adult that likes "stupid" goldfish too much....:facepalm::banghead:

Oh yeah, that is annoying... you should see the look I get when I say I have seven plus five that aren't set up yet. But hey, to breed you have to have a lot of tanks.

This is why I live for garage sales. Somebody buys a huge tank because they want to try keeping fish. Spend hundreds of dollars on new equipment and fish. Soon the fish die(sad), then they sell everything. Most just want it gone, so usually it's dirt cheap or they say 'give me your best offer.' I'm not really one to low-ball people, especially when I know how much something costs, but when it's *obo* it's fair game.

Hahaha

Trying to get EXACTLY 5mls in the API vile!

I always go a little bit over the line, then I knock some out and then I knock out too much. So I thought of putting the corner of a paper towel into the vial to suck up a little extra water and it works perfect :) now it doesn't take me five minutes to fill a 5ml vial haha

All the fantastic claims made by fish products and equipment companies. So much false and misleading info about their products. Should be criminally liable as is FRAUD!
Reminds me of the old snake oil salesmen. "Cures everything from gout, dropsy, consumption and heart disease" Yeah right!
Sad fact aquarist have to research for hours over and over to avoid the falsehoods and wasting LOTS of money. No consumer protection for aquarists. OS.

1- power outages
2- my wife ( nagging me I love my aquariums more than her)

All the fantastic claims made by fish products and equipment companies. So much false and misleading info about their products. Should be criminally liable as is FRAUD!
Reminds me of the old snake oil salesmen. "Cures everything from gout, dropsy, consumption and heart disease" Yeah right!
Sad fact aquarist have to research for hours over and over to avoid the falsehoods and wasting LOTS of money. No consumer protection for aquarists. OS.

Agreed! Heh, not a fish product but I kind of hurt a pet store salesgirl's feelings a little the other day when she was recommending some homeopathic dewormer for my kittens to my boyfriend. I didn't know I was on speaker phone but I essentially called bs on homeopathy and the supposed safety and efficacy of the product line. It's like the melafix and pimafix for fish - doesn't do much and is downright dangerous for some fish. Yet it's sold like it is a miraculous cure all!

Hi Alyxx.
Is it as hot and humid down there as we are here in Ark? We are sweltering here. I loved your post about the crawfish and living in La. OS.

Hi Alyxx.
Is it as hot and humid down there as we are here in Ark? We are sweltering here. I loved your post about the crawfish and living in La. OS.

Yes. Yes it is. I'm just happy I was able to get my hair cut again so the humidity isn't making it as much of a puffball anymore. I hate summertime. And yes, crays are food here. Everybody wants to know when I'm cooking them! I say I'm not sure if the species is edible or would taste any good, and they say "let's find out." Although I would be lying if I said I hadn't thought about it once or twice... I wish I had the land to raise some for personal crawfish boils. Those things are delicious!

Oh Yeah. I used to drive between Pensacola and Houston alot on Interstate 10. I loved stopping at some little mom & pop crawfish cafe along the way. Yum! Some had holes in the center of the tables for throwing the heads into.

Back
Top Bottom