The most annoying thing in this hobby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Costs !!! I truly want to support my locally owned, aquarium shop but its hard to continually pay 10 - 20 percent higher than Online or the big box stores. I am starting to get somewhat jaded.

Costs !!! I truly want to support my locally owned, aquarium shop but its hard to continually pay 10 - 20 percent higher than Online or the big box stores. I am starting to get somewhat jaded.

Agreed! 10 bucks here, 12 bucks there adds up very quickly. Before ya know it, you have a lot of money invested.

Sorry another pet peeve, it seems so elitist that aquarium plants are so commonly referred to by their scientific name. Nearly as maddening is the excuses used to justify this practice. Open a seed catalog, tomatoes are called tomatoes, not Solanum Lycopersicum. I'm pretty sure there are more varieties of tomatoes than Crypts. But then again I always order a medium at Starbucks!

Sorry another pet peeve, it seems so elitist that aquarium plants are so commonly referred to by their scientific name. Nearly as maddening is the excuses used to justify this practice. Open a seed catalog, tomatoes are called tomatoes, not Solanum Lycopersicum. I'm pretty sure there are more varieties of tomatoes than Crypts. But then again I always order a medium at Starbucks!

LOL, so true! I don't like it when I see posts with all the scientific names for fish, let alone plants. Its not like we're all botanists and marine biologists.

I forgot to add one. For us cichlid beginners, sexing Bolivian Rams.

EDIT: Better yet, getting a straight answer on sexing bolivian rams. No agreement whatsoever. lol

LOL, so true! I don't like it when I see posts with all the scientific names for fish, let alone plants. Its not like we're all botanists and marine biologists.

I actually like it, because it makes it clear exactly what fish is being referred to, and it makes it so much easier to research it. The same goes for plants I guess- I have a nice lush crypt that I would like to buy more of, but without the scientific name, how can a seller know exactly which one I am chasing? :) :brows:

Cross reference and double check!!! That is how you find out!!! (most of the time)

Kinda like how do you look up a word in the dictionary if you don't know how to spell it, hahahahaha!!!

Most annoying thing for me is when my hubby and I bash heads over our fish. It's cool to share your hobby with your loved one.. But at times it gets frustrating.. Especially fighting over where we are going to put our new tank.

People who get fish really small, like a common pleco, and not listening to you when you tell them that they will either stunt the fish's growth and harm their health. Or end up with a 2 foot fish that can't turn around in their own tank, and then complain to us about how they don't know what to do!

Most annoying thing for me, is every aspect of testing.

And the mess I make when I do anything more than just LOOK at my aquariums

Oh, and catching fish.

And constantly having to defend and justify spending every spare dollar on my hobby.

I dealt with the justification thing by having a "fish budget" each year. I spend until it is gone and don't feel guilty about it.

Wanting to get fish that so do not belong together. I would love to have an angelfish and fancy goldfish. Both need larger tanks, with different temps, which I don't have room for, or hubby patience for. So I have to choose one over the other.

The other frustrating thing is having fish die and having no reason why.

I dealt with the justification thing by having a "fish budget" each year. I spend until it is gone and don't feel guilty about it.

Lol. I don't feel at all guilty- it's my money, my life and I'll do with them what I want. It's family/friends who seem to believe that if they don't approve of my choices or spending that they have the right to repeatedly say so.

Back
Top Bottom