Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-16-2005, 05:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hockey? Oh yeah, I remember Hockey.

The Blackhawks are in such bad shape that they actually PAY an AM radio station to broadcast their games. Their games have been blacked-out for the past 15 years or so because Bill Wirtz, in his infinite wisdom, decided that he wouldn't allow any locals to watch the game if he didn't sell out the game. Attendance and interest in the Hawks has steadily declined and the team is ready to fold.

I love it.

This strike could signal the final death rattle for the Hawks, I hope.

We'll be fighting in the streets with our children at our feet, and the morals that they worshipped will be gone.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 02-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
u aint kidding in chicago we havent had a hockey team for almost 10yrs-dont miss it 1 bit

Old 02-16-2005, 06:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm with Brian....After the baseball strike, I totally lost interest in baseball...I even stopped collecting baseball cards after it.
30gal; Bala Shark, Pl*co
Old 02-16-2005, 06:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
What bothers me the most is that the difference between the 2 cap offers was like $7mil per team. Was it really that big a difference? I guess when you are talking about teams like Chicago it may be a bigger deal then for teams like Detroit, but come on!?
Old 02-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Drake
I think this was the year for the Blues after making it to the playoffs for 23 years in a row. Oh well one more year won't hurt...sigh
55 Gallon-two clown knifefish, chocolate pleco
46 Gallon Bow Front-Planted-swords, java fern and African cichlids, sail fin pleco
29 Gallon-black ghost knifefish, bristlenose pleco
10 gallon-brackish, figure-eight puffer, knight goby
Old 02-16-2005, 08:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via ICQ to KaiserFish
Glad to see Bettman finally called the season off. Now get done to business, get some young players in there that just want to play for the sake of playing the game and have a new season in 2005/06.
Quis Custodiet ipsos custodes?
Old 02-16-2005, 10:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
This absolutely sucks. BTW, the final difference was 2.5 million per team, Bettman told the owners he could probably get a deal done for a $45 million cap but the hard line owners wouldn't authorize him to go above their final offer of $42.5 million. That's what makes this so much more unacceptable. I actually blame the players union who until yesterday refused to negotiate about a salary cap even though everyone knows that a salary cap is absolutely necessary in hockey.

As for unions, they're needed to get the money from the owners hands to the players hands. I don't expect people to sympathize with the unions now that everyone is millionaires but if we didn't have them the owners would be keeping all the money instead of paying large players salaries. I personally feel better knowing that the money goes to the players who actually produce the product than the already extremely wealthy owners. One of the unions most important roles IS actually pensions. These people do not manage their money well usually and the pension's are very important to keep retired players from falling on hard times.
Pray for New Orleans and all those affected by Hurricane Katrina
Old 02-16-2005, 10:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
you know ... The 6% salary decrease was a fair deal and in the long run would save most teams millions of dollars. Then again, there are still MANY teams that have over 40 million dollar salary contracts. I hope that next year that the owners come back to the table and say "ok, you didn't like a 6% salary cutback, this time we will offer ti as a 12% salary cutack. don't like that? ok, now we will offer a 16% salary cutback!" Players are now just playing for the cash, not the game ... but that is just my opinion. I hope the owners get their way, there is no way anyone who plays now deserves to be paid any more then 3 million a yea ... and at that, they better be a stellar player that can bring them all the way to the finals.
Lunchbox ... "i'm a man, but i can change, if i have to, i guess"

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
Old 02-16-2005, 11:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
NHL - bah!
All I can say is, "Who own de Chiefs?"
Old 02-16-2005, 11:12 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
Go Flames GO!!!! (somebody get me a match)

58 gallon Community Planted - 4 boesmani / 1 praecox rainbow, 3 giant danios, 1 clown / 1 albino pl*co, 1 bronze / 2 albino cories, cherry barbs, sunset platy's, cardinal tetras

8 Gallon hex - 3 F1 Black Brichardi and fry..("Lamprologus sp. Walter")

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com