The NHL is dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DodgeRT

Aquarium Advice Activist
A moment of silence for all the hockey fans out there like me.... :cry:

:cry: :bawl:

Hopefully they can figure it out before next season. I would hate to see it drag on any longer. I used to be a full season ticket holder for the Sharks. I had to give it up when my son was born due to time and cash restraints. I know the city of San Jose gets a tremendous boost to the local economy on game nights. No hockey impacts a lot of people. :(

I was a big redwings fan since the early 90's ( I loved there powerplay dominance of the mid 90's) . Hockey has done this one to many times and i am done with it. It used to be the one sport where the players did not make huge sums of cash and played mostly for the love of the game and pride.It showed when they played. Like anything the money came in and the game is the same is no more. :cry:

I hope Bettman gets kicked to the curb :cry: I need to go take a long walk.

Attachments

• skull.jpg
    skull.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 484
captivereefs said:
I have never figured out why professianl athlete need unions?

So they can negotiate a fair, living wage, as well as affordable healthcare benefits for themselves and their families. It's very difficult to afford medications and braces for your kids when you're earning a paltry $185,000 a year (current minimum NHL salary).

So they won't be forced to perform jobs for which they are inadequately trained. Without union protection, NHL players might be required to sharpen their own skates, or even worse, drive the zamboni!

So they can be assured of a pension when they retire. Since most players retire before they're 45, and because sports cars & bling bling make poor long term investments, professional athletes need an employer-subsidized annuity to provide for their 30+ years of retirement.

OK, OK - I'm being sarcastic. :roll:

What?

Hockey is gone? That means there had to be hockey in the first place?

We had hockey? What a silly idea.

The damage is done. Like most pro sports, it's not about the game, it's about the business. Just another example of the consumer taking a stick to the chin.

I never went back to baseball, I'm sure I'll never go back to hockey. Funny what you can live without when you find you must. LOL

BrianNY said:
The damage is done.

So true

BrianNY said:
Funny what you can live without when you find you must. LOL

Also true. The first thing I thought about was "what will replace the amateur boxing on ice spectacle".

It's funny how the owner's create the problem and when it can't be fixed, they just take away their toys and go home.. :wink:

BrianNY said:
The damage is done. Like most pro sports, it's not about the game, it's about the business. Just another example of the consumer taking a stick to the chin.

I never went back to baseball, I'm sure I'll never go back to hockey. Funny what you can live without when you find you must. LOL

with the news commenting last night that they may "rush a decision to accept a salary cap" I was thinking to myself... I wouldn't watch it now anyway. It's nothing but greed on both sides of the table that's caused this... they don't get my money now.

Hockey? Oh yeah, I remember Hockey.

The Blackhawks are in such bad shape that they actually PAY an AM radio station to broadcast their games. Their games have been blacked-out for the past 15 years or so because Bill Wirtz, in his infinite wisdom, decided that he wouldn't allow any locals to watch the game if he didn't sell out the game. Attendance and interest in the Hawks has steadily declined and the team is ready to fold.

I love it.

This strike could signal the final death rattle for the Hawks, I hope.

u aint kidding in chicago we havent had a hockey team for almost 10yrs-dont miss it 1 bit

I'm with Brian....After the baseball strike, I totally lost interest in baseball...I even stopped collecting baseball cards after it.

What bothers me the most is that the difference between the 2 cap offers was like $7mil per team. Was it really that big a difference? I guess when you are talking about teams like Chicago it may be a bigger deal then for teams like Detroit, but come on!?

I think this was the year for the Blues after making it to the playoffs for 23 years in a row. Oh well one more year won't hurt...sigh :(

Glad to see Bettman finally called the season off. Now get done to business, get some young players in there that just want to play for the sake of playing the game and have a new season in 2005/06.

This absolutely sucks. BTW, the final difference was 2.5 million per team, Bettman told the owners he could probably get a deal done for a $45 million cap but the hard line owners wouldn't authorize him to go above their final offer of $42.5 million. That's what makes this so much more unacceptable. I actually blame the players union who until yesterday refused to negotiate about a salary cap even though everyone knows that a salary cap is absolutely necessary in hockey.

As for unions, they're needed to get the money from the owners hands to the players hands. I don't expect people to sympathize with the unions now that everyone is millionaires but if we didn't have them the owners would be keeping all the money instead of paying large players salaries. I personally feel better knowing that the money goes to the players who actually produce the product than the already extremely wealthy owners. One of the unions most important roles IS actually pensions. These people do not manage their money well usually and the pension's are very important to keep retired players from falling on hard times.

you know ... The 6% salary decrease was a fair deal and in the long run would save most teams millions of dollars. Then again, there are still MANY teams that have over 40 million dollar salary contracts. I hope that next year that the owners come back to the table and say "ok, you didn't like a 6% salary cutback, this time we will offer ti as a 12% salary cutack. don't like that? ok, now we will offer a 16% salary cutback!" Players are now just playing for the cash, not the game ... but that is just my opinion. I hope the owners get their way, there is no way anyone who plays now deserves to be paid any more then 3 million a yea ... and at that, they better be a stellar player that can bring them all the way to the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom