Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-29-2006, 12:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
The Tampa Aquarium Freshwater Exhibit

The Florida Aquarium in Tampa is now showing a new exhibit featuring freshwater fish that are common in the home aquarium setting... I am going this friday, hopefully I can take photos and post them then. Nothing on their website, but they sent me a flyer in the mail last week.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:05 AM   #2
how long they gonna have the exhibit?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I am pretty sure it is going to be permanent, but I am not 100% on that. I threw out the flyer, because I knew I would be going for sure anyway, so I will report back this weekend, hopefully Friday...

So I made it there today, and do not reccomend anyone wasting their hard earned dollars here. I was expecting more from them, and my expectations were dashed. 95% of the displays were 10 gallons filled with painted gravel and plastic plants! There was one 90 gal. in the front w/ live plants, farlowellas and rainbows, and another tank that had to be about 24' long, by 2' deep, also moderately planted w/ driftwood and filled with every imaginable community fish possible. That big tank was pretty cool, but not worth the price of admission. I have seen better displays at Big Als Aquarium Supercenter in Fort Lauderdale. I think the coolest part was seeing the antique tanks, novelty aquarium toys and equipment from the 1930's and up (all of it took up one small display though). It was hard to photograph due to crappy lighting and reflections cast on the tanks from the sunlight. Other than that, I would say unless you are a salt-water fanatic (the coral reef attraction was cool) save your money and go somewhere else in Tampa Bay, like the beach or a state park. Or a petshop... for free...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg closeup2_628.jpg (217.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg closeup_442.jpg (244.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg longcommunity_100.jpg (155.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg discs_760.jpg (247.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg artdecotank_155.jpg (196.9 KB, 25 views)
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com