Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Water Change FROM HELL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMonk86 View Post
Wow! That was the water change from hell for sure. Will the Metafix affect your nitrogen cycle? ( I'm learning)

Yes and no, I have noticed an increased rate of nitrate development with Melafix, part of it may be the death of bad bacteria, or the medication is causing the fish to breath faster, which means more ammonia/waste. But in my experience it has never been anything that has caused alarm.
I like Melafix a lot. It's pretty safe, and it has a comforting/calming effect on the fish. I've used it when adding new fish to dull down the excitement.
Doesn't matter what it is, anytime I drop a new fish in, my older ones have to be all over it, stressing it out even more,

But it works really well at healing tattered fins, and scrapes especially.

I do think it becomes an irritant after it expires, so you do want to do a water change to get it out after it's... worn out I guess.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I emailed Seachem about the false positives and their return went like this.

Hello George,

Thank you for your email. The false positive that will show on an ammonia test kit in the presence of Prime is not the result of an indication of ammonia when there is not any present. The "false positive" is referring to showing a false positive for toxic free ammonia. Since Prime has bound all of the ammonia in a system to an ionized NH4 form, it will still show up on a test kit as total ammonia, but it will be present in the system in a form that is not toxic to the fish. The only way to differentiate between NH3 and NH4 ammonia in the presence of Prime will be by using gas exchange technology such as what is utilized in our Ammonia Alert or MultiTest: Ammonia test kit or the Ammonia Alert. If you are using other conventional test kits on the market in the presence of Prime then you will get a reading for total ammonia, even though there will not be any toxic ammonia present in the system as long as you have used the proper concentration to fully bind the ammonia present.

You can also refer to this from our FAQ for further clarification:

Old 04-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrilah fish View Post
Yes and no, I have noticed an increased rate of nitrate development with Melafix, part of it may be the death of bad bacteria, or the medication is causing the fish to breath faster, which means more ammonia/waste. But in my experience it has never been anything that has caused alarm.
I like Melafix a lot. It's pretty safe, and it has a comforting/calming effect on the fish. I've used it when adding new fish to dull down the excitement.
Doesn't matter what it is, anytime I drop a new fish in, my older ones have to be all over it, stressing it out even more,

But it works really well at healing tattered fins, and scrapes especially.

I do think it becomes an irritant after it expires, so you do want to do a water change to get it out after it's... worn out I guess.

Thank you! Everything you wrote is good to know. I took a pic of your answer so I can keep it handy.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also just an FYI for a new user melafix will sometimes make foam/bubbles on the surface of the water. Totally fine!!!! I freaked the first time and googled it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
ate, change, water, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com