Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2014, 03:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Water Change FROM HELL!

I'd like to use this post to vent, and allow you to share your stories about some of the absolutely unexpected insane happenings of caring for your beloved fish.

Tonight started like any other cleaning. I took our my rocks, lowered the water, scrubbed the glass and combed the sand. I began taking out my 5 gallon buckets at a time. It all started when I got down to 50%.

My rainbow shark jumped two feet out of the tank, over the light, and in the back of the aquarium. I reached my hand in the narrow space as far as I could, but he was out of reach. I just hoped he flopped into my hand. After a few moments he just stopped, I jumped up and went into the middle of the stand where there is a 4" gap and contorted my arm to reach him. I finally got ahold of him, covered in hair and other dirt I put him in the bucket I had nearby and rinsed him off. I tore a big gash in my own arm as well. After he caught his breath I put him back in the tank. Both of his eyes were cloudy and his skin was tattered.

I began refilling the tank, and restacking the rocks. By now I am pretty good at stacking my rocks, but tonight they just would not work, they kept falling over, I'd put one rock on, and the rest would crumble. After spending about 30 minutes getting them set up just right I see a rock start to shake and the whole pile comes crashing down.

Upset and at my end I reach in to find my electric blue hap has gotten himself stuck in a rock cave way too small for his size. I do my best to help him out, holding down his pointy dorsal fin. He violently shook himself out, doing much damage to his sides and face. He laid on the bottom of the tank for a while catching his breath and holding his fins close. He is scrapped up to hell.

As if this wasn't enough, after I get all the water, caves, filters, etc. clean and in place my UV filter decides to fall apart. The pieces won't fit together, the suction cups keep falling off, and I spend another 10 minutes sorting it all out.

In the excitement of it all I forget to run my UV filter in a bucket to get all the left over gunk out, so when I turn it on it just shoots a huge wad of sludgy garbage.

I make some more adjustments to the rocks. Add some Melafix, stability and prime. And prepare to call it a night. Then I look at the time.

What normally would take me an hour or less has just taken over two and a half. I have two fish completely mauled. And my water looks like crap.

Good frickin night.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

To add to it all, after posting this, I realize I still haven't cleaned the outside of the glass.

Laugh at me, I sure am laughing at myself.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Moved to appropriate subforum.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrilah fish View Post
I'd like to use this post to vent, and allow you to share your stories about some of the absolutely unexpected insane happenings of caring for your beloved fish.

Tonight started like any other cleaning. I took our my rocks, lowered the water, scrubbed the glass and combed the sand. I began taking out my 5 gallon buckets at a time. It all started when I got down to 50%.

My rainbow shark jumped two feet out of the tank, over the light, and in the back of the aquarium. I reached my hand in the narrow space as far as I could, but he was out of reach. I just hoped he flopped into my hand. After a few moments he just stopped, I jumped up and went into the middle of the stand where there is a 4" gap and contorted my arm to reach him. I finally got ahold of him, covered in hair and other dirt I put him in the bucket I had nearby and rinsed him off. I tore a big gash in my own arm as well. After he caught his breath I put him back in the tank. Both of his eyes were cloudy and his skin was tattered.

I began refilling the tank, and restacking the rocks. By now I am pretty good at stacking my rocks, but tonight they just would not work, they kept falling over, I'd put one rock on, and the rest would crumble. After spending about 30 minutes getting them set up just right I see a rock start to shake and the whole pile comes crashing down.

Upset and at my end I reach in to find my electric blue hap has gotten himself stuck in a rock cave way too small for his size. I do my best to help him out, holding down his pointy dorsal fin. He violently shook himself out, doing much damage to his sides and face. He laid on the bottom of the tank for a while catching his breath and holding his fins close. He is scrapped up to hell.

As if this wasn't enough, after I get all the water, caves, filters, etc. clean and in place my UV filter decides to fall apart. The pieces won't fit together, the suction cups keep falling off, and I spend another 10 minutes sorting it all out.

In the excitement of it all I forget to run my UV filter in a bucket to get all the left over gunk out, so when I turn it on it just shoots a huge wad of sludgy garbage.

I make some more adjustments to the rocks. Add some Melafix, stability and prime. And prepare to call it a night. Then I look at the time.

What normally would take me an hour or less has just taken over two and a half. I have two fish completely mauled. And my water looks like crap.

Good frickin night.
Man that was a bad night, hell I felted stressed out just reading through it. I think I would have probably ended up smashing something like the UV just out of frustration, you did good keeping your cool.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's why I do my tank maintainance after 5 on sat or sun... Beer helps when that type if stuff occurs how they all doing now??
Old 04-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
That's why I do my tank maintainance after 5 on sat or sun... Beer helps when that type if stuff occurs how they all doing now??

It got even more exciting... Did you know that prime can give you false NH/NO positives? I didn't, so I check my water randomly last night and see that it's all jacked up, and freak out and do another water change, and then retest, and it's the same, so I get online, and find out..... Hey it happens all the time,

Everything is golden now, people healing nicely. Water looks super clean.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hahahaha. Stress!!! At leased u saved that fishes life tho 👏

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yah I found that prime thing out too late too haha. Glad all has returned to as normal as a tank gets... I pulled a plant and moved it 2 weeks ago and blew a root tab cloud into the water... Massive algae bloom, gahhhhhh.. I feel like there's 6 ways to do a tank right and 12476008. Ways to mess it up...
Old 04-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can say with confidence out of hundreds of water changes and cleanings last night was the worst.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow! That was the water change from hell for sure. Will the Metafix affect your nitrogen cycle? ( I'm learning)

Tags
ate, change, water, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com