There IS such a thing as a dumb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blindskate

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, as I've stated in many posts. I work at an exotic pet store. we also sell bunnies, cats, hampsters, everything you can imagine but dogs.

So..this lady calls.

Me: It's a great day at the ******, how may I help you?

Lady: Yea...if a mom hampster as babies you need to take them away from her right? Cuz she will eat them right?

Me: Yes, ma'am

Lady: Well, i bought a hampster from you guys and it was pregnant and she had babies, and well...can you guys take them?

Me: pleae hold on ma'am ill ask

Me: ma'am? We dont have any room for them

Lady: *attitude* well, i dont want them, can i just let the mom eat the babies?

Me: i guess...but i think its a little inhumane.

Lady: whatever! *click*

..........our society has gone down the drain :drain:

Agreed, there are some flaws in our society. I hope you don't have to deal with people like that often. : p

Mom hamsters eating their young - My mom could relate - she use to say that she should have raised pigs instead of kids - that way when they pissed her off she could have roast pork that night.

i get stupid questions quite too often. like.. "why do you guys have a monkey if its not for sale?".......

uhm...so your comes in the store to see it, like u just have and u buy things...derrrr

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a computer tech, and I have this posted on my cube wall. I think it works for this case too.

Attachments

• stupid_people.jpg
    stupid_people.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 62
lol

That's hilarious. How DARE you sell her a mom hamster!

The way I see it, she got a buy one hamster get 4 free or a weeks supply of hamster food. All depends on how you want to look at it.

All in all, people can be ridiculous.

While her attitude was maybe all wrong, you have to credit the fact that she learned that the babies need to be taken away, and was taking steps to attempt to get rid of them properly.

I agree Neilan. She took the time to find out that they eat their young. Maybe she was upset that she came home to all these hampsters and didn't know what to do with them. I don't think she asked a dumb question (in my book there is no such thing) just that she wanted to find a new home and was frustrated.

Good point. I just think it's funny that someone would expect a pet store to take back baby hamsters like that. I guess if she had not been agitated about it, it would have been different.

I suppose it's like fish. When we have fish that we cna no longer care for (offspring from current fish) our lfs will take them off our hands. Some give us store credit. It's possible some pet stores would take other animals.

I would never have thought to take fry back to a LFS. Don't they have certain restrictions as to who they get their fish from for quality reasons?

I would never have thought to take fry back to a LFS. Don't they have certain restrictions as to who they get their fish from for quality reasons?

From what it sounds like and the few I've been to, I'd have to say most fish stores really aren't dead set on quality.

The places that we take fish to are ones that we frequent on a regular basis. But we have taken fish to PetsMart and PetCo before for my mother in law. She purchased Bala Sharks for her 29 gal tank and had nowhere to take them.

the fact that she asked me if she could jsut let the mom eat the babies disgusted me

you think you deal with stupid people? try working in the automotive industry... but alas at least she attempted to save the babies from harm...

hahahaha. i will make another post about a completely awful fish question. ive never in my life...you all will look forward to this.

Blindskate, please start posting relevant things. This rantings are not really productive. I understand if you want to post about a bad call or a bad day, or useful information, but these are getting a little too much. I could post all day about the customers/co-workers/parents/friends/car problems/weather/gas prices/traffic/mean people/Annoying people/not so smart people and GRAMMAR, but this is not the place. I am not trying to be mean but you do work in a pet store and should be the one educating your customers. Look at all the threads about, "my LFS told me this" and the information was wrong, because the LFS/Pet store worker didn't care and only wanted to make fun of so-called "dumb questions". Be part of the solution and not part of the problem. Your customers call you for advice, not criticism or to snicker behind their backs. I find these inane posts to become quite boring and not helpful to this community at all.
I think you should take a look at your position and try to help the folks that are asking for your help....it makes me feel better when I can help some one, that's why the higher ups in this community keep me around.
So if your "next post" is similar, please refrain or at least put in a question form that other on this site can benefit from.....
OK, off my soapbox.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom